Band: The Who

spikes

i was just listening to the who's babra o neily and i liked the way they play, sure they aren't all technical and stuff, but they sound great yeah? i like the drummer's way of playing, all that rolls and stuff, guitarist's not bad, he sounds great cause he has a rock and roll style of playing his guitar... i'd like to see your views on them, as to wheather they are well liked around here or not...

i always wanted to listen to their music after reading so much about the keith moon, the bomberman...but i dunno which album to get, so havent heard them till now. :oops:

frankly, i dont know which album to get too, they have tonnes of them, and i'm not sure which ones good to listen... i just download those really nice ones... :oops: i'ma cheapskate...

Haha The Who and the guitarist's trademark windmill technique :D

My favourite songs from them are Pinball Wizard, Behind Blue Eyes and Subsitute

I think they have a greatest hit album released not long ago. As for individual albums, heard that Tommy is a good one, the first rock opera.

I used to have a video of their performance at Live 8 this year, but deleted it already :cry:

here's some interesting stuff about how Pete Townshend started his trademark of smashing his guitar at each show:

He was playing in a venue where the celling was damn low, and there were terrible feedback from his guitar, so he tried to shake off the feedback by shaking his guitar, causing his guitar to hit the celling repeatedly, and ened up breaking the guitar, some of the audience teased him for being a fool for accidentally breaking his guitar. And not to lose face, he decide to show the audience that he was smashing the guitar deliberately, and the rest was rock history.

Mobius said:
here's some interesting stuff about how Pete Townshend started his trademark of smashing his guitar at each show:

He was playing in a venue where the celling was damn low, and there were terrible feedback from his guitar, so he tried to shake off the feedback by shaking his guitar, causing his guitar to hit the celling repeatedly, and ened up breaking the guitar, some of the audience teased him for being a fool for accidentally breaking his guitar. And not to lose face, he decide to show the audience that he was smashing the guitar deliberately, and the rest was rock history.

Eh I heard a different version:

He was playing similarly in a place with a low ceiling, then he was adjusting his guitar or something and the headstock accidentally hit the ceiling and made some awesome feedback, which caused the audience to cheer loudly. Then he tried it again, but this time the neck broke, so in order to not look like a fool, he made it looked like it was planned by smashing the entire guitar

dunno which is the real version though :D

Well i guess both versions are similar :D

Pete Townshend is also sort of a pioneer in most things rock. He was one of the first to emrace the powerchord. He was also the first to request a 50w head and subsequently a 100w head from Jim Marshall, and he also requested a 1x 8 speaker cab be built too. But they have to settle for a 1x4 cab sitting ontop of the other as a 1x8 would be too heavy for a roadie to carry :) come to think of it, without him pushing the limit, there probably be no loud amps. :D

Mobius said:
Well i guess both versions are similar :D

Pete Townshend is also sort of a pioneer in most things rock. He was one of the first to emrace the powerchord. He was also the first to request a 50w head and subsequently a 100w head from Jim Marshall, and he also requested a 1x 8 speaker cab be built too. But they have to settle for a 1x4 cab sitting ontop of the other as a 1x8 would be too heavy for a roadie to carry :) come to think of it, without him pushing the limit, there probably be no loud amps. :D

Well i read that they trashed their gear originally as an attention getting gimick but later it was due to the fustration of not getting the desired response from the audience.

Timex said:
Well i read that they trashed their gear originally as an attention getting gimick but later it was due to the fustration of not getting the desired response from the audience.

My version I heard is that, after the guitar smashing incident. People see the guitar smashing as part of the show, and he had no choice but to do it for every show. Before Who became really huge and rich of cos, the guitar smashing thing nearly made Pete broke, so he was actually relectant to smash the guitar. But when they became rich and famous, he of cos din really care :lol:

Back