AT2020 USB vs Blue Yeti vs Zoom

HyominFTW

Hi all. I have decided to do some vocal recordings at home. As I am looking for a decent USB microphone / recorder that is within my budget, (under $300) I'm just wondering how do these 3 microphones compare to each other in terms of sound quality.

I've read online that the AT2020 and Blue Yeti are very good sounding mics for their price, and pretty similar in sound quality too. However are there any features that clearly differentiates the two? Other than Blue Yeti's numerous capturing patterns.

Also, I am interested about the Zoom (h1,h2n,h4n) since it is also a popular pick. Even though I would love to get these recorders since they can be used literally anywhere, I was wondering if their sound quality is very much different as compared to their USB microphone counterparts? Or the sound quality is roughly the same. And, do the sound quality improve from h1 to h2n to h4n alot? Or they are hardly noticeable.

Appreciate it if anyone who has experience with these mics can provide their inputs. Thanks. :p

Hi there...

I have not used usb mics before but looking ahead, I would not suggest getting the usb version of mics. Firstly, the number of usb ports on a computer is limited. Secondly, since it's a usb mic, you probably can only use it with a computer. Let's say if you wanna bring your at2020 out for a jam with your friends, you will have no connectivity to the mixer, for example. The Zoom series are handy and pretty suitable for any venues. They are loaded with high quality condenser microphones. But the setback is that those mics tend to pick up 'more' than what you want. Great for field recordings.

All in all, since you have a budget of 300, why not get a H4n? It is a portable recorder + audio interface. It has 2 xlr combo jacks which allow you to input any external microphone or instrument line in. Battery operated with ac power adapter. You can do multitrack on the device itself too.

If I were you, Zoom H4n + sm58 would be a perfect combination for vocal recording. There is plenty of room for expansion like getting a condenser mic for greater quality.

Just my two cents, all the best!

Latest posts

Back