Alternate Picking

Hi guys,

I'm learning guitar by myself, and had started out fingerpicking songs. I went on to learn how to strum using a pick but I never got the hang of picking string using the pick (i.e. techniques like alternate picking)

Q1)When I try it picking strings with the pick, my little finger always tries to be in contact with the guitar (so it's grounded so to speak and the right hand is not in the air) so that I feel I can more accurately pick the right string...is this the wrong way to go? Or should my right hand be not touching the guitar at all?

Q2) Also, any tips on alternate picking?

if u're picking on the thicker strings or lower strings, u can rest ur free fingers anywhere so long it doesnt makes unwanted noise or u can curl ur fingers slightly. resting ur free fingers also act as string muting too.

practise hard is the best tip for alternate picking, keep picking up n down on a single string, move ur wrist only, pivot ur hand movement on the heel of ur palm. hold ur pick so tat it is tilted slightly when u pick the strings.

Make sure you right hand is at a comfortable position. Start off alternate picking slowly then gradually increase your speed. Using a metronome will help you. :)

Check out videos of diverse players such as Micheal Angelo Batio, Marty Friedman, Joe Satriani. Ok not that diverse but what I mean is check out how they place their hands. Its all rather different and change when they need to. John Petrucci leaves a pinky below the bridge as an anchor. Van Halen power picks with his thumb and middle finger!

The basics on picking is to not let your arm float. Keep it down and anchored. The only thing moving should be your wrist. Even then it may only be your fingers holding onto your pick. Check out Yngwie Malmsteen.

I'm sorry I keep listing shredders. I'm not a shredder myself but its a good idea on how to go about doing things at a worldclass level.

Hi

First of all, It is normal when your last finger aka the pinky of your picking hand is in contact or grounding itself to the guitar like you mentioned. In fact, most guitarists do it from my observation. I often use my pinky to wrap around the bridge pickup for accuracy. And if you feel that is helping you as well, by all means go ahead and make that your preference.

Guitarists like John Petrucci from Dream Theatre, Matt and Corey from Trivium and Alexi Laiho from Children Of Bodom have their right pinkies hooked to the bridge pickup the way I do it.

Secondly, while alternate picking is one of the basics of guitar playing, it is not something that can be achieved overnight. Start off real REAL slow. Then, pick a pattern, a scale or any melody to practice. Recommended would be the chromatic scale of course. Pick it down-up-down-up on each string according to the scale or whatever you might be playing, then do so again but in the opposite, which would be up-down-up-down. Do this both ascending and descending. It's okay if you mess up alot, it's like that, just keep at it. If you want speed, train with a metronome and only go fast at a certain speed if you can keep up. Otherwise, just maintain what you are playing until you got it right.

I highly recommend John Petrucci's Rock Discipline for alternate picking exercises and warm ups before practicing. I find all of them highly effective and useful even as an experienced player. He's a good teacher and I believe you will benefit alot from it. You can find the exercises on YouTube.

Cheers and happy practicing ;)

Check out videos of diverse players such as Micheal Angelo Batio, Marty Friedman, Joe Satriani. Ok not that diverse but what I mean is check out how they place their hands. Its all rather different and change when they need to. John Petrucci leaves a pinky below the bridge as an anchor. Van Halen power picks with his thumb and middle finger!

The basics on picking is to not let your arm float. Keep it down and anchored. The only thing moving should be your wrist. Even then it may only be your fingers holding onto your pick. Check out Yngwie Malmsteen.

I'm sorry I keep listing shredders. I'm not a shredder myself but its a good idea on how to go about doing things at a worldclass level.

I think Yngwie Sweep Picks(very fast) better than he does alternate picking (IMO)
And Eddie Is More diverse but I still think his specialty is the two hand tap

I think (sorry dont listen much shredders =X) Phil collen is amazing at his alternate picking.. check the URL below,

Back