Advice on pickups

Rockstars-Inc said:
hey ppl. thanks for all the replys. All right i will narrow down to 3 pups. Firstly the SD 59 humbucker, SD custom, or dimarzio's super distortion. all right ppl need ur help here.

Pls tell me which of these ya think is more suitable for my aria lespaul copy. in the bridge position. :D

From the choices above, I would choose SD Custom for the bridge. This is one of my fav bridge pickup. And I would pair it with Pearly Gates on the neck.

Pearly Gates, now why didn't i think of that one? It's one bad assed pickup that sounds fantastic.

Alright ppl thansk for all the resoponse. I have decided on the SD Custom. But subversion has kinda gave a short review of the 3 different pups. So i wld like ur views on which would suit my les paul better. Thanks ppl. :D

Btw with regards to my 'ideal tone' refer to the earlier posts. thanks

yup the duncan 59, OR custom will suit u fine..
as a matter of fact even the pearly gates.

for dimarzio i`ll go for Paf Pro
but the duncan is the best choice..

Question here : Does changing pickups make a lot of difference? Will it make a okay-sounding guitar sound fantastic? Coz I always hear pple changing...

you'll hear tonal differences & picking dynamics but to those new to the electric guitar, there'll be 'no' difference.

it's not a marked tonal difference anyway, it's a difference in voicings.

sgmusicgear said:
Question here : Does changing pickups make a lot of difference? Will it make a okay-sounding guitar sound fantastic? Coz I always hear pple changing...

Pickups change will not make your playing any more 'fantastic'. It's your own fingers which create the 'fantastic' playing.

What is the difference is in the tone, gain (output level) and leading to more or less sustain from different pickups.

Different pickup sound suits different songs that is played, thus whichever suits the sound you require the best, that's the difference. No single pickup will cover every tone out there. That's why some guitarist have a few different guitars for playing different parts and songs.

An expensive pickup may not mean definately the right tone. Some expensive pickups model actually is tuned to sound very middy or muddy. If that 's the sound you want, then thats the pickup for you.

Does it contribute a lot to the tone? My question is whether it'll make say, a budget TGM guitar sound much better?

sgmusicgear said:
Does it contribute a lot to the tone? My question is whether it'll make say, a budget TGM guitar sound much better?

maybe the analogy is like putting Lamborgini Diablo's engine to a Mini Cooper's body.

At some point it will boost the Mini's performance. But certainly there's limit. It won't reach the same top speed of a real Lamborgini due to the body construction. So there would be a waste of the real potential power of the engine.

The question is what is better? And can your ears tell the difference yet?
Every pickup does something to the tone. Some are fat and have huge, round basses. Some are tight and compressed with mids and highs. A person looking for one will hate the other.

So the question is, what are you unhappy with your TGM? If you don't hear any problems with it, don't change the pickups first. If you find that the highs are too piercing and harsh (as do many cheap pickups sound), then think about what kind of sound you are looking for, then choose the right pickup for it.

Bottom line is, if you don't know what the problem is, and you don't know what you want, how are you going to fix it?

well for me it all depends on ur setup...esp the amps...
coz u can shap tone on the amp..

there are ppl that uses stock pickup but..sound just amazing..

btw bro ..the TGM guitar not worth to change the pu..
but if u must get an EMG..i feel they are rather neutral

Back