A Guide to Taking Better Photographs for Your Gear at the Buy/Sell Section

dudelove

This thread is a result of pondering over why many Softies do not take photos of their gear/items that they want to sell on Soft. Well, a few reasons why one should take photos of their gear, not just ordinary photographs, good photographs.

Good photos of whatever you are trying to sell shows a potential buyer how your item looks like and what kind of condition it is. It gives the potential buyer a gauge of what he's interested in.

This is proven. Providing good photographs, especially if the item you are selling is a beautiful piece of equipment (eg. a flamed top les paul), will cause potential buyers to GAS. And we all know thats a good thing if you're the seller.

Photographs do IMPROVE sales, so I think there is no reason why as a seller photos should be left out of the thread. DONT BE LAZY.

Well, you might be thinking, shucks I dont have a super powerful DSLR, my camera sucks or even, I only have a cellphone camera. Good news, you don't need an expensive camera to take good pictures. You just need to know how to take them. (Cellphone, really a bit difficult, but i'm sure it can be done in the right circumstances.)

Okay, now we know the camera does not matter, so here are a few tips on how you can take better photographs of your gear. Note: All these pictures on the thread are taken with my Sony Cybershot digital camera, an affordable pocket camera. I'll use my strat as the subject. Not the best subject though, doesnt have beautiful flames or quilts.

1. Shoot your image in GOOD lighting.

Lighting makes or breaks a good photo. I noticed most softies take their pictures indoors, inside their room, which is lit by a flourescant lamp. It might seem like ample light to you, but actually its not. When these kinda situations occur, your camera will automatically turn on the flash, resulting in reflections of the subject. Which can have bad results. Fingerprints, smudges all jump out.

DSC05201.jpg

C'mon man, my camera didn't even focus.

Try as far as possible not to use the flash, unless its taken a shot of for example, the control cavity of a guitar, where you want the detail of the insides to be brought out.

Well, you can turn off flash on ur camera manually, but there still isn't enough light, so the camera compensates by boosting the ISO. I won't bother explaining what that is because the image explains itself.

DSC05198.jpg

Note the excessive noise.

Lastly, in poorly lit places, chances for camera shake is very high. To simplify it, your image is very likely to turn out blur due to the slow shutter speed to allow more light into the camera.

So grab your guitar, or whatever out into the sun, or at least into a very well litted place. This not only rectifies the 2 problems mentioned earlier, the colours just jump out at you, and there's none of the dull, lifeless colours you get when taking in a dark place.

DSC05206.jpg

Not the best image but it was raining and this was the best I could get. If you really want the best images, be patient and wait for the best time to take your photo.

DSC_1596.jpg

Check out the guitars curves due to light reflecting off it.

Settle the lighting, once thats done, more of less, you have a good image. Lighting is the most important factor when it comes to taking an image. Not the camera, thats why I stressed that even a cellphone can take decent pictures.

If you absolutely must take them indoors with poor lighting, use a tripod, turn off flash, set the cameras ISO at the lowest, and use the timer. Your finger pressing on the shutter can cause the camera to shake.

Last edited:
2. Use your camera's macro function when taking close ups.

Ever seen photos where the subject is blurred, but the background is sharp? Thats because the object is too near to the camera lens. Try taking your finger and putting it as close as possible to your eye. It's never sharp. Same goes as a camera. Most cameras have a macro function, on some cameras its called micro. Turn it on so that ever detail is sharp when taking close ups. I stress again lighting is extremely crucial. Do this in poor lighting, expect blur images.

DSC05208.jpg

DSC05209.jpg

Every detail is sharp. That's what I'm looking for.

Not everything needs to be taken out into the sunlight. Take your study lamp, project it onto the subject and you're good to go
DSC05212.jpg

Honestly, I can only think of these 2 points to get good photos. Anyone can take good photos, even if you have no talent or expensive cameras.

I hope this guide has helped and I hope I start seeing more beautiful pictures at the buy/sell section!

Anyone with enquiries can just post on this thread or PM me, I'll be glad to help you out! ;)

Last edited:
heh, i have another solution to close deal, with or without pictures, just sell it at reasonable price and there be more interest.. tired and proven...

save the pics for flaunting at the gear section or if wanna talk about sound but only got picture and no soundclip...

I don't have much guitars to sell (yet) but this thread is very useful, should be stickied. Thanks dudelove for compiling these info. I'm sure many softies can benefit from it.

75% of the time I close an ad if it doesn't have pictures. 60% if there are and 30% if the pictures are good. :twisted: I honestly do not see what is the problem with digging up a decent camera to take some pictures of an item. You lose about say 10min but gain days waiting for an interested buyer. Unless of course the item you are selling is in a terrible condition, but no harm being fully transparent right?

personally i don't really believe in "better photographs" as it may get a little misleading on how much greater it looks in photos but real life = dull. I get the reverse reaction as I often put photos (in poor fluorescent lighting) + videos, and they give me the "I'm surprised it looks much better in reely is al". but of course I'm not slamming on the guide, it definita must for those sellers who put up terribly blurred photos and you meet up in person to find out that it looks worse!

what I strongly emphasize is reliability, for those who dealt with me often I ride on the fact that I have a positive reputation (in soft) and I have 0 reasons to rip you off for assurance and the buyer's option of backing out is usually they find a better deal , they're not sure of their purchase or simply it's not what they wanted.

good job for the photography basics guide though!

Now teach me how to do that with a 2MegaPixel camera phone. =(

Lastly, in poorly lit places, chances for camera shake is very high. To simplify it, your image is very likely to turn out blur due to the slow shutter speed to allow more light into the camera.

So grab your guitar, or whatever out into the sun, or at least into a very well litted place. This not only rectifies the 2 problems mentioned earlier, the colours just jump out at you, and there's none of the dull, lifeless colours you get when taking in a dark place.

DSC05206.jpg

i used my phone camera. 3.2 mp, 2mp, meh no difference.

DSC00005.jpg

DSC00007.jpg

damn the phone's metering sucks. sure, the colours aren't as vibrant as a proper camera, but at least the picture's sharp enough. unlike those super blurry, dark and noisy photos. also, ROTATE YOUR PICTURES. it's irritating to keep having to tilt your head. you don't need photoshop or whatever to do it, you can even do it in photobucket.

anyway the point is, most of the time the camera doesn't matter, it's more about the person behind the camera.

Last edited:
I like to look at nice pictures. If everybody knew how to take nice pictures, we'd all be better off (even if negligibly so)

Thank you for an informative and useful post!

Back