ChanMin

Anyone has or knows anything about this amps?.
i am thinking of changing the preamp and power tubes to better quality ones.

1) will the tube change ,reduce the "hiss" at high gain settings?...
2) how will better tubes enhance my amp's sound?
3) anyone change speakers before?... the sheffields gd?

anyone bought a thd/weber attenuator or any other brands out there that work well wit the 5150? whats the price like?

its 1.4k i think?... not more then 1.5 , 60watts
very loud... too loud for home use in fact.... will need a hotplate or sumthing to bring out its true potential...+
decent clean sounds... ( the reverb is useful here)
crushing distortion... you will never need another distortion pedal.

i play it at volume 2-3 at home... at night below 2.... but this amp KICKS ASS.
if i were stronger id bring it to jamming.

worth while if you manage to sound proof your room abit or you want to bring it for jams/ gigs.

you should get a 5150/5150II head... and a hot plate... easier for you to bring around...
very good sounding amp.

ChanMin said:
Anyone has or knows anything about this amps?.
i am thinking of changing the preamp and power tubes to better quality ones.

1) will the tube change ,reduce the "hiss" at high gain settings?...
2) how will better tubes enhance my amp's sound?
3) anyone change speakers before?... the sheffields gd?

anyone bought a thd/weber attenuator or any other brands out there that work well wit the 5150? whats the price like?

Chan Min,

A nice amp you have there.

The 5150s were designed to work off Chinese Ruby 6L6 tubes.

The preamp tubes are subjected to lots of abuse with the number of gain stages that the 5150 has. You'd want to choose hardy, long lasting preamp tubes for this purpose (as opposed to other tube qualities).

Not sure if better tubes make the amp sound better .... as mentioned before, the amp is designed with Rubies in mind. That said, it never hurts to experiment.

The speakers have a fair amount of mid-range in them. They were modeled after greenbacks, I think (if someone is more sure, please correct). I've tried other amps into my 5150 cab but they don't sound good. In conclusion, the speakers were specifically voiced to suit this amp and Van Halen's ears.

Increase the volume = sound gets warmer and less buzzy.

The THD costs SGD 640 and is available from mu'ar.

for the chinese ruby tubes... im pretty sure that they were " cut production cost " move....
i got to know of a shop in burlington square when i worked there a few years back ...its a small shop that sells tubes...
is it still there?... or any place i can get tubes cheap??
i dun need NOS , or some mulard stuff.. just simple durable stuff... which im sure will be better then the china tubes.

ChanMin said:
for the chinese ruby tubes... im pretty sure that they were " cut production cost " move....
i got to know of a shop in burlington square when i worked there a few years back ...its a small shop that sells tubes...
is it still there?... or any place i can get tubes cheap??
i dun need NOS , or some mulard stuff.. just simple durable stuff... which im sure will be better then the china tubes.

Various amps are designed to sound optimum around specific tubes and even specific brands of tubes.

Whilst I have never tried another brand of tubes, I have heard other 5150 users try other brands of tubes before returning to Rubies for the optimum tone.

As this is just trivia information for reading pleasure, do give other tubes a try where your ears are the final judge.

I believe Martin Electronics is still around. They do sell Electro Harmonix tubes and JJ tubes which are not too pricey and which you can give a try.

All the best.

alright... but say.. if my amp uses 5-12AX7s and 2-6l6s
i can simply buy replacements from the shop- and pop em in right?.... any other procedures i need to do , or take note of?....

thanks dude...
what do you mean by custom sets?... i really have little or no knowledge of this... maybe only the mere basics...

im scared kanna "chop" la...

i mean u can specify what type of tubes u want and whether u want it matched or not and at areasonable price too.

He ships direct from the states but i think its better to get it from someone who knows his stuff. He is extremely helpful and will answer most of your queries.

Latest posts

Back