16 ohm speaker in 8 ohm rated amp?

p00n

Hi,

I would like to know would it be possible to run a 16 ohm speaker in an amp rated 8 ohms. I know that running a speaker of anything lower than the recommended load would blow the speaker and amp, but I heard that the inverse wouldn't really harm the amp (in the case of extension cabs though).

Also I heard that the output would be cut in half. Is this true? It seems to make sense with the V=IR principle. Anyone can help me?

Is yours a tube amp? If so, the output will be lowered because of impedenace mismatch (not as simple as v=ir). The output transformer is not at the most efficient setting, and may risk damaging it, especially for higher ohm speaker.

If its a solid state amp, then I don't see a real problem here.

For solid state amps, it's fine to plug a 16ohm speaker to an amp rated at 8ohm. Due to the principle of the circuit, mostly no problem. Yes, the power output will be decreased and noticable, but you won't feel like less 50%, because db (the measure of loudness) operate on a logarithmic curve.

For tube output amps, it's a NO...NO... as you might risk running the output transformer too hot and danger of short when its insulation melts.

oops it's tube. at least i'm making plans for the laney i'm trying out tomorrow.

oh another question, would removing one of two output tubes result in lower volume levels? I've heard that it would, but would it allow as much tube saturation as it would having both tubes?

No No, don't do it! What amp are you talking about? If its a class AB 2 power tube amp, you are not going to remove one of them. If its a class AB 4 tube, that is different question.

The LC15R has cathode biased power section based on 2 EL84, but its not class A. You can't pull the tube out.

Latest posts

Back