Your latest gear review!

Yamaha Signature Steve Jordan Snare

I just picked this up from Yamaha today. Its a 4ply maple shell with reinforcement rings.
I like the fact that its bit more high pitch because of its 13" shell diameter and plenty of body in the 6.5" depth

Yet to actually play it but its sound is no stranger to John Mayer fans as Steve Jordan uses this live when he plays as well as he records. Can be tuned to have more 'pop' as well as low in rock situations, I foresee this to be a very versatile wood snare. I have also plans to put wood hoops to fatten up the snare further and perhaps I could throw in a recording when I've got everything done then. Here's the pictures.

Do keep the thread going and more people posting!

DSC00065.jpg

DSC00066.jpg

DSC00067.jpg

Last edited:
drumsolo86, I can't see your pics.

I also have plans to do more snare drum recording. I still haven't gotten around to trying some new stuff I have, like Aquarians heads and also a 'standard' snare mic - the SM57. Maybe borrow some snare drums along the way too... I heard that a friend of a friend has an ol' DW Craviotto solid shell, and another guy has a Yamaha 25th Anniversary Maple Custom.

In the meanwhile, some recommendations and dis-recommendations.

Recenly, I got rid of some stuff I didn't like:
HQ 12" RealFeel 2-Sided Pad

Pearl S1000 snare stand

And replaced them with stuff I liked:
Aquarian Tru-Bounce Practice Pad

Pearl S2000 snare stand

------
The HQ pad's 'melting' problem is well known and there's a thread about it here. To sum it up, the "Speed" surface spontaneously melts at room temperature. I think it's pretty unethical for such a reputed company to preclude caveats regarding their products. Unless they didn't do any testing and didn't know about the problem =X

While the pad per se isn't affected, it does ruin the drum head it's placed on. On a few occasions, the pad was glued to the drum head so tightly, it took some time to pry it loose with my fingers.

Enter the Aquarian pad. The bad thing is that it's single sided, and that the surface is still bouncier than an actual drum, regardless of what the marketing literature says, albeit less so than the HQ. The good thing, besides not getting stuck on a drum head, is that the playing surface is more durable, and cleaner.

------
The problem with the S1000 snare stand, is that it fits only snare drums in the 'standard' 12" to 14" sizes. In other words, it's a tiny snare stand. I mean, c'mon, even PDP's can fit 15" drums. My snare drum is a very slightly bigger 14", i.e. certainly not "oversized", and the S1000 just won't do.

Luckily, there's a bigger brother, 'coz I like Pearl hardware. In this case, size does matter. Bigger is always better. No more fiddling with the orientation and squeezing the bottom hoop into the basket, and end up with the sharp edge of the strainer cutting your knee.

I read somewhere about concerns about the black plastic basket adjuster, like why isn't it metal like other stands. The answer is, because the basket is always fully opened regardless of drum size, the weight of the drum is not supported by the basket adjuster like other stands. The adjuster is just to keep the basket in place when packing up.

Last edited:
They weigh practically the same, any difference is negligible. You found yours a bit cramped as well?

Nope, the only thing I don't think about mine is the weight. Fits all my snares fine. And it holds deep snares just fine. My deepest snare is a 14"x8". I set up low so it works for me.

I need a Pearl S1000-D as well!
Anyway, just to revive this old thread and share my latest acquisition.
I've been into blues and esp jazz recently and I was unsure about this ride but I'm so glad I got it. It's dark and dry and has minimal overtones to it but strong stick sound. I also picked up an Evolution as well.

DSC00104-1.jpg

This cymbal is buttery like all the Evolutions, leaning slightly towards the brighter spectrum of the HHX line. It's like a giant crash, you can see the bell is almost 3/10 of the entire cymbal. It makes a softer ride too.

DSC00105-1.jpg

DSC00107-1.jpg

Decided to go for it - Got myself an 18" Sabian Artisan Crash.

Man, this crash is perfect. Complex, rich and full. Shimmery and just enough trash.

I need a 19" and 20"!

Time to revive an old thread!

I've been working on this two books and highly recommended!
Stick Control and Syncopation. You can get them from Amazon.com

DSC00125.jpg

Back