Yamaha MM6 - Garageband/Ableton only lets me play using software instruments.

covaloch

Heya, garageband and ableton live seem to automatically detect my Yamaha MM6 as a midi controller, which is.. i guess, fine since i'll be using alot of software synths, HOWEVER, how do I use the on-board voices of the keyboard while recording. I just want to have the option, and the onboard voices are pretty darn good since its from the Motif series.

Any help with regards to the software?

the most straight forward method is to connect the output from the synth via instrument cable to audio interface, then into ableton/GB

if you are connecting midi cable or usb, it will be sending midi messages and not audio signal.

the issue not so much on the software side, but connection and sound source output or midi message output from the synth side. Some synth has this mode, local on/off, which is to enable/disable the internal sound engine. Maybe can refer to the mm6 manual and see if heres any topic on using external sound engine or using the internal one.

Last edited:
Audio out from MM6 to audio in from your Mac's audio interface. This setup alone will let you record live. But if you want to sequence and playback from your MM6, then you'll have to:

MM6 midi out -> Mac midi in
Mac midi out -> MM6 midi in

You'll have to turn local off on your MM6 or you'll get echoing (MM6 itself playing sound, and the Mac sending midi signals back to MM6 a few milliseconds later due to latency, producing echoing).

Thanks for the replies guys. Interesting. Didnt think I'd need an audio interface as I thought the USB would be able to handle output to the macbook. :(

Get the iMic.

I've just gotten iMic from Griffin, it works!! (and it's definitely cheaper than audio interface) Though i read online reviews that the sound might not be as good, i've just tried it and it was fine!

but i have another problem though.. im currently arranging a song in 12/8 time. however i couldn't find any 12/8 pattern (drum loops).. tried setting the time signature through the Utility button but doesnt seem to work either. anyone able to help?? thanks!!

Write you own drum pattern. Of cos, you can listen to some commercial song and learn to play that pattern. Normally , I will write in 4/4 timing,but my grid/quantise will be 1/12.

Back