Yamaha FG730S vs Alvarez AD70 for my next guitar

mickey18588

I m a relatively new player about a year in and thinking of an upgrade. I do a bit of both strumming and finger picking. Currently I m holding a Yamaha F310. Not knowing much about brands and guitars I decided to stick to Yamaha and found that FG730S is really popular among people and I really liked the Cherry Sunburst color option.

So I went to Yamaha boutique to try it out and it sounded pretty good and easy to play, considering I only played my beginner guitar. But I decided to walk around Pennisular Plaza and Parklane Mall to look for alternatives within that range. For most shops I went to, they have said that Yamaha's price doesn't justify it's sound, and for that price I am willing to pay I could get a better sounding guitar.

One of the guitar that was recommended was the Alvarez AD70. I found tone to be very much fuller and warmer than the FG730S and I was pretty impressed with the sound when I strummed it. It does have that 'booming' effect. But looks wise it looks like a very plain guitar. I can't seem to find much reviews or info for the AD70 online, so I guess isn't as popular. And among the reviews some have said the bass to be overpowering.

The price for the AD70 is 450, and the MSRP for the FG730S would be 570, but after applying my membership and discount vouchers I can get it at 440. I hope the experienced/ senior guitar players can advise me on this. Thanks!

Thanks KauserEX. I hear many people saying that online. But on the ground most guitar shops have said that it does not justify it's price and it's mass produced in China. So I am a little confused. Alvarez AD70 seems to be very indie as compared to the FG730S. Anyway I am curious why do you say that?

Have tried both side-by-side in the same shop, i much much prefer the AD70's deep and rich sound to the FG730's neither-here-nor-there (IMO) tone. The 'overpowering' bass will mellow out over time. The hardware on the Alvarez is also far better, with the pickup and preamp being several classes above the Yanaha's. The tuners are also better (did a tuning stability test). No-brainer for me; tone trumps looks any day. I don't even bother about the colour scheme to be honest.

FYI Alvarez AD series are all also made in China, but see for yourself the level of craftsmanship; far better than the average Yamaha. Some things to take note of would be the finishing, the paint/lacquer around the bridge/neck joint/headstock areas and the frets themselves. Honestly haven't seen a Yamaha that beats the Alvarez.

Thanks loldude333.

Yes I also tried it side by side, and I have to say my thoughts were exactly like yours. But being a newbie, I thought that could be more than just the sound. But from the first strum of the Alvarez my reaction was like "woah", but I thought the pros may give a more insightful critic rather than just from a down strum.

The sales lady did also tell me that comparing the AD70 to the FG730S, the bridge and neck joints are made of bone, as compared to FG730 which is made from plastic, which makes it more lasting. It's strange for a comparable guitar to the FG730S, the AD70 is not mainstream at all. It's hard to find decent reviews on the product. On the other hand, FG730S draws raving reviews everywhere and some even saying its the "best mid range guitar' for it's price. hmmmm.

Hi Mickey18588,

I am comparing the guitars within your price range too.

May i know if you tested both side by side in the same shop? Luther Music? Any LAG T100 or T200 to compare it with?

Yes I tested it at Luther Music. I only took comparison of the 2 because it was recommended by the sales lady. Have you tried any of them? how did you feel?

Only tested the F730s at Plaza Sing - not as 'bright' as i expected.

It seems you're looking for Sitka Spruce top with Indian Rosewood back/sides. I would suggest looking also at the Cort Earth 100r. Same specs wood combination wise and it's only $330 brand new. I would say that Cort makes very good guitars for their prices. If you're not super particular about getting rosewood, I would suggest also the Cort Earth 20h which is a limited edition model for their 20th anniversary at $299 new with Australian Blackwood back/sides which can look very flamey.

FWIW, I have a Goodall as my main acoustic and I keep the Earth 20h as a backup.

Hey Peter,

I was recommended Cort Grand Earth too. I hear it's pretty decent at a relatively low price. Luther Music used to carry them but no longer do as the humidity in Singapore doesn't do good on the wood. May I know how the sides and back of Rosewood would differ from say, Mahogany?

Hey Peter,

I was recommended Cort Grand Earth too. I hear it's pretty decent at a relatively low price. Luther Music used to carry them but no longer do as the humidity in Singapore doesn't do good on the wood. May I know how the sides and back of Rosewood would differ from say, Mahogany?

Generally speaking, Rosewood sounds warmer and more lush than Mahogany. Mahogany excels in having a bright zing/snap. Of course, there are many other factors that affect tone and the luthier's skill is most important imho.

Speaking about the Earth Grand OP which you mentioned, that is a superb guitar at the price at $195 with a gig bag and solid top. OP stands for open pores and there isn't any binding on this guitar so yes, you are right in saying it may not hold up as well as other regular guitars with bindings and gloss finish. Having said that, it has very very good projection and is probably the best sounding guitar at that price beating several guitars more pricey than it.

My next guitar - FOUND.

Here is my findings on solid top guitars i tested.

Tested the FG700S/FG730s and Alvarez AD70r and LAG T200 at Luther Music.
The cedar top have a unique sound that my friend (seagull S6 owner) liked.
Nice for fingerstyle / plucking... so soothing.

I prefer strumming and sing-along... and the Yamaha sound so different and I like it.

I ended up with a LL6 that was on offer!
The sound is richer than the FG730s.

Btw, the FG730 / FG700s at Luther sound so much nicer than the ones i tested at plaza sing. Not sure if it's the environment or the strings/setup.

My next guitar - FOUND.

Here is my findings on solid top guitars i tested.

Tested the FG700S/FG730s and Alvarez AD70r and LAG T200 at Luther Music.
The cedar top have a unique sound that my friend (seagull S6 owner) liked.
Nice for fingerstyle / plucking... so soothing.

I prefer strumming and sing-along... and the Yamaha sound so different and I like it.

I ended up with a LL6 that was on offer!
The sound is richer than the FG730s.

Btw, the FG730 / FG700s at Luther sound so much nicer than the ones i tested at plaza sing. Not sure if it's the environment or the strings/setup.

Congrats! The Yamaha LL series is one of their best selling series and rightly so. You should be really happy for a while now. :)

Strings generally have 2 'ways' of dying.....depends on how picky you are!

1. The tone dies. This usually happens faster, depending on the string (test different string brands/ask people). It means that while the string is still intact (and possibly rust free, especially if you're using coated strings), the tone begins to lose its sparkle, becoming dull and flat. Most people (like me) won't be too bothered; i use Elixirs and only change when the coating starts to flake a lot and the strings actually begin to rust.

2. The string itself dies; aka rusty/snapped strings.

I use Elixirs and i've found their tone life and overall string life to be the longest amongst the rest i've tried. Some people think they're overpriced, others don't like the bright sound, but i do. And for a dude who doesn't care much about tone dying, changing strings just once a year (and the associated cost savings) appeals a lot to me. Of course, factors like your playing time, whether you wipe the strings etc come into play. But the point is, try out and choose a good set of strings that suits your needs.

It's yamaha strings from factory - still enjoying the 'tone' for now. That's the reason i bought it. :)

Let's see when it will change and if it bug me by then, i will go look for elixirs to try out.

Strings generally have 2 'ways' of dying.....depends on how picky you are!

1. The tone dies. This usually happens faster, depending on the string (test different string brands/ask people). It means that while the string is still intact (and possibly rust free, especially if you're using coated strings), the tone begins to lose its sparkle, becoming dull and flat. Most people (like me) won't be too bothered; i use Elixirs and only change when the coating starts to flake a lot and the strings actually begin to rust.

2. The string itself dies; aka rusty/snapped strings.

I use Elixirs and i've found their tone life and overall string life to be the longest amongst the rest i've tried. Some people think they're overpriced, others don't like the bright sound, but i do. And for a dude who doesn't care much about tone dying, changing strings just once a year (and the associated cost savings) appeals a lot to me. Of course, factors like your playing time, whether you wipe the strings etc come into play. But the point is, try out and choose a good set of strings that suits your needs.

Latest posts

Back