why roland JC-120 so expensive?

unholyernest

i was at boon's place many years ago when i started guitar..
and they got this really broken amp and it looks like shit totally lah.. the logo was off and the speaker cover was torn blah blah blah...

i plug it in and played..it sounds really nice warm sweet..
then later i realised that was the JC-120..

my question is.. its just a simple trans amp..not even a tube..but y it cost so much? i think its like 1.5k from sweelee..
lets not talk about whether a trans amp or tube amp is better.. but y that trans amp cost so much?

is that any hidden expensive/powerful circuit inside that i didn't read about?

please tell me! haha...

Last edited:
look at roland for their digital series.. the cube 60 ($600)..cube 30x ($450)
but y just this non digital simple solid state can fetch 1.5k? is it like the cone..wood or circuit stuff?
i read their webby and i just find it very ordinary leh..

Its the tone bro.. People have loved the JC tone for decades! Some swear by it..
Its one of the few solid states that are highly revered by professionals, hence, you're paying for Brand name and "hype" as well..

ya loh.. think so too.. some magic it carries that is worth paying so much.. i think its the only solid state i see that cost so much and people use it for recording and gig... hard to see solid state that can go so far leh..
anyway i'm just gasing lah.. haha.. no $$ anyway.

aiya i swa gu mah...
never heard of warheads leh..i only know their tubes and hybrid series..from michael amott mah.. think it can give the modern distortion i need..

Last edited:
the thing about the jc120 that i really like about is the way its uncoloured clean sound takes in your pedals like a sponge. really versatile amp with a great clean channel.

Randalls are in a different ball park altogether, i would use them for some serious in your face wall of gain.

with the jazz chorus amps.. i think theres generally no hype.
its a workhorse amp... those in boons have been making boons money for years... blasted day after day from crazy thrash metal to punkrock to pop... it may look like shit ..but plug in.. and HEY it still works.

very good cleans... and takes pedals extremely well.

its a very good amp. so $1500... is considered an "ok" price bro.

wee lee has them too. they can survive after all that metal, cheap digital processing and nonsense being plugged in and still survive after all these years.

the wonders of solid state technology.....

the chorus and cleans on the jc120 is just amazing...there may be many expensive pedals out there which can have a lush chorus..but for an amp so old..during its time,it had the greatest chorus u could ask for...after so many years,the jc has not changed much in design...but still remains a great seller in the roland amp catalogue..thats why it can still cost $1500 and have people buying it..

there is a difference between those made in Britain and those made in Italy though. apparently the older units are more reliable and sound better as compared to the reissues.

just try both and you'll hear what I mean.

Back