Where to buy guitar picks?

LilRomeo

Hello.

I was just wondering where to buy guitar picks.
Any picks would do.

Can you post the address of the shop also?
Im not familiar with only the shop name.
I heard about 'Davis', but where is that?

Also, you could post about how you mantain your picks and where you keep them and stuff. And maybe recommend a few.

Thanks.

davis is cool.

it's at peninsula hopping centre basement.
take the escalator down and the first guitar shop you'll see is davis.

they have a wide range of picks there.

i use dunlop tortez jazz 1.14mm in black :)

hope i've helped:)

vicki:)

Yeah, you can get picks in every guitar shop in Penisula. Check it out. Here is the website http://www.davisguitar.com The address is Penisula Shopping Centre, B140/413 Coleman Street. It is just at the basement. Once you got down the escalator, go to the second shop.

get a small metal tin from like ricola or something, eat the candy, wash it and keep all your picks in it. helps if you lose your picks a lot. and you can get picks at almost every guitar shop in singapore I would think, seeing as you're not looking for a particular brand.

Nearly all the shops that got sell guitar got sell picks.

Google "guitar shops in singapore" will offer you a host of links for you to do your research.

Good luck!

get a small metal tin from like ricola or something, eat the candy, wash it and keep all your picks in it. helps if you lose your picks a lot. and you can get picks at almost every guitar shop in singapore I would think, seeing as you're not looking for a particular brand.

thats one way to keep it, but be sure not to lose that box though.:mrgreen:

you can try Ranking and Swee Lee at Bras Basah too.

Picks? Being a bassist who needs picks, real bassist play with fingers.......ok kidding kidding.

Any half decent guitar shop would sell picks, even those HDB block shop types.

I assume you are playing bass? i suggest getting those thicker, stiffer picks meant for bass string. Guitar picks are too floppy.

Or you can always improvise...paper clips, 5 cent coins,hair clips etc etc all have been proven to be handy whenever a pick is not around.

oh ok thanks. from what I see, Peninsula has a lot of guitar shops. haha.
will go down one of these days.

oh and when you play with your fingers, how do you do it?
i mean, do you pluck using your index and middle finger, or just use your thumb?

I find it hard doing the 'two-finger pluck' as usually it will hit the string behind the string I intend to pluck.
Ok, that sounded weird, but you get the picture. haha.

i do it with my first four fingers.
what ever way feels comfortable for you i guess.

but the rule of thumb (hah pun!)
the thumb is mostly used for the top 3 strings, then the rest of your fingers for the other 3 strings:)

yup i bought from ebay 50 picks for around $25 inclusive of shipping from UK.
Heavy gauge mother of pearl design picks.

Currently city music selling picks at $9 for a pack of 25 for their planet waves picks. Extremely gd deal. They sell in various gauges.

range can get from 40cents to $12 bucks for V picks(correct me if wrong). any guitar shop should sell. if not, they suck. heheheheheh.

personal fav would be jim dunlop M and H. M for relek2 strum H for shredding shits.
oh well, im a guitarist. most bassists i know use super hard picks or metal ones. if not, FINGER!!!

i love Steve Harris!! ok that was redundant. hehe

oh and when you play with your fingers, how do you do it?
i mean, do you pluck using your index and middle finger, or just use your thumb?

I find it hard doing the 'two-finger pluck' as usually it will hit the string behind the string I intend to pluck.
Ok, that sounded weird, but you get the picture. haha.
the 'traditional' fingerstyle method is to use 2 fingers over the top, which is your index and your middle finger.

this video can explain it much better than i ever will
http://www.5min.com/Video/How-To-Play-Bass-Right-Hand-Position-2459590

but some things he left out, though you probably might have been able to see from his demo: your attack should be such that the tip of your finger is over the top of the string. when you pluck the string, you should stroke your finger over the top of the string.

one mistake would be to attack from the side or 'dig' underneath the string; this would lead to poor tone and sustain. the definition of 'sustain' is not how long a note can ring out, but the rate of decay of the note. the harder you pluck, the faster the rate of decay, so always pluck lightly.

when you advance further, you will find that alternate finger plucking will exceed the speed and dexterity of pick playing, for the simple reason that the locus of finger movement is far shorter than wrist movement from pick playing. another thing would be the ability to use both left and right hand muting techniques which i find crucial for bass playing. that you will learn later on.

in fact i spent alot of time studying proper left and right hand techniques, especially with regards to muting. old habits die hard

one thing i DONT agree with his tutorial is what he says about anchoring the thumb. ok, he was right about thumb rests, because thumb rests are actually positioned to the right of the strings, meant as a grip for the forefingers for the really old school technique of using the thumb. that's why it is more common on vintage basses

Fender%20P%20bass.jpg

but i don't agree with him saying that resting the thumb is wrong, because if i'm not wrong it was on gary willis' site that i saw the installation of a ramp, for the purpose of allowing the thumb to rest over the entire playable length of the strings for greater tonal variation

if u are a heavy pick user bassist like me, i would recommend getting some nylon picks. for me i use the range around 1mm to 1.5mm lidat. good thing about them is i tink last longer cos it doesnt get abused by the strings as much as normal plastic picks. :D and like smooth to play fast fast songs also. :D

i love using dunlop's Tortex picks, the orange color ones because i find it is not too thick nor thin and can be used on both guitars (not recommended for speed picking on thinner gauge strings though) and bass guitars comfortably. their non-slip texture is awesome. they cost around 50cents to 70cents depending on which shop you patronise. just expect to pay more in well known shop *laughs*.

if i have to scavange for a pick, i'll probably take the wrap lock from bread packagings. they're awesome.

Last edited:
Back