What is the true definition of a good guitarist

daslasher375

To me, a good guitarist is one who uses his feel in his licks and not how fast he sweeps, shreds or scales,etc. He should also be mostly self taught, inspired by other guitarists and is very versatile on his feels of the beat of the songs. I really admire Jimmy Page and BB King and Slash, they're unique in giving themselves a symbolic character in their music genres.

So fellow softies, Share your views with me...
What is the true definition of a good guitarist?

Good post daryl~

So what if he's not self taught? Then that elimates Allan Holdsworth, Steve Vai, Steve Lukather, Chet Atkins, Michael Landau, Dan Huff, Mike Stern, Brian May, Brad Paisley, Paul Gilbert, B.B King, Eric Clapton, Randy Rhoads, Joe Pass, John Mayer, Jimi Hendrix..........

It only leaves Tommy Emmanuel.

He's a good guitarist.

Oh Son House~ He's awesome too.

IMO, a good guitarist should be humble, willing to gain more knowledge even though he's good enough already, able to play with feel, can take criticism and willing to share his expertise.

Tough question.. U know those 5-spoke type of graphs found on badminton string packs? looks like a star

each spoke has a quality like, feel, speed, improvision, tone, technicality etc

a good guitarist is too vague and subjective. it depends on which skills the judging individual values more. :twisted:

a good guitarist will be practicing his guitar and not reply this thread.

argh.. i've failed becoming a good guitarist..

A good guitarist is :

A guitarist whom can evoke emotion into his playing be it slow bends or lightning fast riffs, great tone, great timing, always open to criticism

To top it off, HUMILITY.

someone who is in 1 with his guitar and able to channel emotion into playing
coupled with technical proficiency.

Must have speed, technique, knowledge and creativity.

Most importantly, must know how to gel INTO the music, not the other way around. I've always seen the guitar as an ACCOMPANYING instrument, like icing on the cake. At least that's what I've always felt.

A good guitarist must be able to use the technics and skills he learnt to write his own solo and songs.
Plucking really fast but still playing solos created by others, does not prove your skills and how far your abilities can bring you at all.

Be a master at classical, acoustic and electric guitar solos and technics.

There are many people who also have the same skills, but this differs between a normal guitarist and those that made it out big like Tommy Emmanuel, Herman Li, Alexi Laiho......... etc.

Back