What is a keyboardist?

piano_ex

hey people ....

just wanted to know ur opinion about this matter ....

What is needed until a person can be called keyboardist?

for me ... it's quite complicated .... I don't like to use that term just for people that "can" plays the keyboard ..... i mean in a fashion of playing the keys (able to play piano) ... then can press a couple of button to change the sound .... then can call that person keyboardist already ...... I don't think it's that simple rite?

I think that is the cause why a lot of people dissapointed with their keyboardist .... (i mean ... i read a couple of thread about it) .... because, they're expecting the wrong things! ....

cases ..... a band .... have a friend.... "ow! i know he plays piano! ... he got grade 8! ... let's ask him to be our keyboardist!" ......

what will happen? .... they haven't ask the essential question ...

do you want a pianist or a keyboardist?
do your keyboardist need to be able to improvise?
does that person with grade 8 able to improvise or play chord?
does he knows about orchestration? (knowledge of instrument sound)
does he knows things about arranginG?

.......... i think lots of them just need a keyboardist because .... the cover that they play have a piano solo introduction ..... -_-"

ahahaha ..... what do you think?? what is a keyboardist?

i have a driving license. i am a driver. :lol:

to me, a keyboardist simply means a person who plays the keyboard. there are beginners, intermediate and advanced players.

i think your question can be broaden to "what is a musician?"

* dont think too hard into this kind of thing, you cannot control how others play, you should concentrate on preparing yourself better musically. the rest will follow.

Agree with soft. We shouldn't be too strict in these things. I play table-tennis - so I'm a table-tennis player. But I won't want to be called NOT a table-tennis player if I play with a national or international player who will easily beat me 11-0.

I think the thread starter is trying to ask about
the roles of a professional keyboardist.

and the difference a pro and a hobbyist

i quite agree with the rest. for example , u ask ,what is a driver? does it mean he can operate the steering wheel means hes a driver ? Does he drift? Does he know how to pump petrol? Does he know his way through the whole of singapore? haha :lol:

lolx ... hahaha =) ... thanks for all ur reply ...

i think i'm just curious ... and not really think to much lar .. just pondering =)

but, there aren't really any license for keyboard i think .... =)

for piano yes of course ... i myself is diploma standard .... =P
but that thing can't measure the skill for keyboard playing .....
totally diferrent purpose and skill

actually this thread is inspired by those thread that complains about keyboardist... :lol:

lolx ... nope =)

people complain about other keyboardist ....

luckily .. and thankfully, my band mates are thankful of my presence ... =)

I like this thread. there shud a thread like this where other musicians who cud reply to appreciate keyboardists, pianists, organists etc.

My comment: My band plays alot of deep purple and other 70's 80's rock music. Music like this, not only do I need gaps filled in, I need them to fill in their solos rather than just guitar solos again and again. Add that touch of class to a song. Makes blues and funk songs brighter and more melodic. I can really appreciate a great blues pianist or a great rock organist.

PS. I am a Lead guitarist in the band with piano_ex ... :D Hes one of few amazing keyboardists Ive every seen and thankful hes in our band.

hmm... a keyboardlist is just follow the the flow
but a pianolist will know the chords and the right time to come in

izit???

or other way round??

like for me.. i need someone who knows chords..willing to experment all the effects....

is that a keyboardlist or a pianolist???

Why the hell everyone in this forum saying, 'KEYBOARDLIST?'

Its, 'KEYBOARDIST!!!'Theres is NO 'L' in KEYBOARDIST!!!

If you say KEYBOARDLIST then your asking for a 'LIST' of 'KEYBOARDS!!!'

Same thing goes for 'Pianist!!!' NO 'L'

GET IT RIGHT!!! :evil:

Back