wats your fav drum groove

blurred

okie guys, wats ur fav drum grooves? i love steve gadd myself, 50 ways to leave your lover on the paul simon song is cool. Charlie's in love by rickie lee jones with steve gadd on drums is pretty phenomenal. this song called insomnia and the hole in the universe is happpening by the band called "live". most grooves by greg bisonette. bernard prudie's half time shuffle is insanely groovy as well.

mike portnoy's take on LTE's amazing adventure.
shuffled, riding on a combi of rudiments and lots of ghost notes.

dave weckl's designer's dream. tasteful backbeat groove.

though i hate this band, but i think linkin park's - faint, the intro drumming sounds nice.

Cynic - Uroboric Forms

Actually, anything played by Cynic's drummer, Sean Reinert, makes me weep lol. I'd give an arm and leg to play like him!

Porcaro's Rosanna shuffle, the shuffle by Bonham in Fool in the Rain. Infact, all shuffles are great! :lol:

Good call on Gadd's grooves, amazing feel in all of them that is near impossible to replicate.

shuffles

yah man shuffles are really nice when u can get that feel. wat kinda shuffles you like playing?

I'm still trying to nail the Rosanna shuffle, the ghost notes are a bitch to play! :lol:

But anyway, I like incorporating the shuffle all over the drumkit, a nice feathering shuffle on the bass drum gives any slow groove a great blue-sey feel.

interesting! so do you accent the one and 3 while doing the shuffle on the bass drum?
dude learn the chicargo style shuffle first then move to the double shuffle then the swing shuffle, when u get to the ghost it'll be a piece of cake. make ur ghost notes on the chicargo shuffle really really soft and rim shot the bugger on 2 and 4.
almost ghost the 4 on the floor bass drum, but still make it reasonably audible.

hope this helps dude!

blurred said:
interesting! so do you accent the one and 3 while doing the shuffle on the bass drum?
dude learn the chicargo style shuffle first then move to the double shuffle then the swing shuffle, when u get to the ghost it'll be a piece of cake. make ur ghost notes on the chicargo shuffle really really soft and rim shot the bugger on 2 and 4.
almost ghost the 4 on the floor bass drum, but still make it reasonably audible.

hope this helps dude!

Well, it's just an idea I've been playing around. I'm currently messing around with a lot of foot techniques, which has led me to open up my right leg as a "third arm", it's a concept which seems obvious to any drummer, but its only till a few days ago that I started experimenting with it.

I've never tried using the bass drum shuffle to lay accents on 1 and 3, I'll try that out though!

Anyway, what is the chicago styled shuffle?

I've tried playing the double shuffle, but it just doesn't feel good and tight. I guess my left hand has a lot of catching up to do! :lol:

And while we're at it, what's a swung shuffle? Are those shuffles with triplet groupings, because as far as my memory serves me, shuffles by their characteristics are grouped by triplets?

Edit: Never mind that, are swung shuffles interpreted the same way the 8th notes in a typical ride swing pattern? If so, are the "ah one, ah two, ah three, ah four" counts in the swung shuffle interpreted as triplets to give a swing feel to it?

hey dudee,
yes all shuffles are swung. a chicago shuffle is like a double shuffle except you instead of doing a shuffle on ur ride u play swung quater notes. a swung shuffle is a shuffle with the chicago shuffle snare pattern with a swing ride pattern of typical jazzright hand. the ghosted shuffle is a pretty advance one, get this right first and the ghost will be easy peasy japanesey!
get a book on shuffles or better yet ask ray azizz to teach u he's good at that from wat i remember. there are other shuffles as well check out Zoro's art of RnB drumming theres a shuffle he plays the 1 on the hi hat with his foot and the N on the ride cymbal. now that ones a freaking mean ass shuffle!
honestly my shuffles freaking suck, i've got an ensemble practice tmw where we're playing this bloody fast diana kraal cover and u know what i can't play a shuffle over it so i play a jazz rymthn on it and hit the 2 and 4 hope i can fake my lecturer hahaha. anyhow u got to listen to blues bands to get that shuffle feel. a good cd is john scofields groovelation with idris mohammad on drums.
i honestly love the ghosted shuffle as well and i cant stand playing the chicago but its the only way to go, u know like u build ur xigong? haaha
to get ur shuffle nice and tight start at 60 on the click and shuffle ur hi hat foot and snare and make sure u dun flam anything. record urself with the click and listen back. (damn i give good advice huh, i'm wondering when i'm gonna get down to all this man!!)
hope this helps

blurred said:
hey dudee,
yes all shuffles are swung. a chicago shuffle is like a double shuffle except you instead of doing a shuffle on ur ride u play swung quater notes. a swung shuffle is a shuffle with the chicago shuffle snare pattern with a swing ride pattern of typical jazzright hand. the ghosted shuffle is a pretty advance one, get this right first and the ghost will be easy peasy japanesey!
get a book on shuffles or better yet ask ray azizz to teach u he's good at that from wat i remember. there are other shuffles as well check out Zoro's art of RnB drumming theres a shuffle he plays the 1 on the hi hat with his foot and the N on the ride cymbal. now that ones a freaking mean ass shuffle!
honestly my shuffles freaking suck, i've got an ensemble practice tmw where we're playing this bloody fast diana kraal cover and u know what i can't play a shuffle over it so i play a jazz rymthn on it and hit the 2 and 4 hope i can fake my lecturer hahaha. anyhow u got to listen to blues bands to get that shuffle feel. a good cd is john scofields groovelation with idris mohammad on drums.
i honestly love the ghosted shuffle as well and i cant stand playing the chicago but its the only way to go, u know like u build ur xigong? haaha
to get ur shuffle nice and tight start at 60 on the click and shuffle ur hi hat foot and snare and make sure u dun flam anything. record urself with the click and listen back. (damn i give good advice huh, i'm wondering when i'm gonna get down to all this man!!)
hope this helps

Woah. Okay, I hate you now, I'll be busy for the rest of the few months practicing and perfecting those grooves. :(

Haha, no really, thanks a lot, those are some great advice.

I just recorded myself *attempting* the Rosanna shuffle and it sounds like a whole lot of mess on the snare. The rough feel is there, the bodiddly bass figure is there, the snare accents on 2 and 4 is there. But the hihat shuffle pattern gets tied up with the ghost notes. And its such a pain to do the accents and immediately ghost the next notes! :(

Anyway, you sound like a very nice person to talk to, do you have MSN or something? Kindly add me if you do, the address is in the profile.

yup my e mail is wazzatat@hotmail.com, i'm hardly on though. i got so much back practice to catch up to that i dun have time to wank anymore hahah...hmmmm. Anyhow i can shuffle cards as well maybe next time we shuffle them together. :D . by the way wired is ur name andrew? are u in the SAF military band now?if u are its mark here if u remember. anyone i just my ass kicked in ensemble practice just now, lecturer told me my shuffle sounds like a square if that makes any sense to u man.
regards mark

Haha. Nope. I'm not Andrew and I do not play in the SAF military band. I remember seeing your email address somewhere though, you post up ads often at luthermusic.com? :lol:

yah i use to post it up quite often. yah i really need to practice wat i preach. i can play them technically but the feel is missing i think its cause i just dun love the blues.

Yeah, that's the difficulty every drummer faces. You can be technically inclined, playing layered polyrhythmic rudiments between feet and hands or having monster chops or an inventory of killer grooves, but ultimately, the most difficult part is in making what you play feel good and sound clean. Which comes with ALOT of practice, sadly. :(

Swedish shuffle

Yeah Bernard Purdie... yeah Steve Gadd... yeah Jeff Porcaro.....

Heard of the swedish shuffle? Its when both hands are doing the shuffle.

I cant explain it in words but heres what it would be like in a diagram

RR RR RR RR
LL LL LL LL

Just realise that i cant seem to show the spacing on that.
The left shuffle starts on the 2nd R.... so its like R(RL)L 8O

NO i dont know how to do it. It was shown to me by my chief. My eyes started to cross and i felt nausea.

Back