warwick streamer or ernie ball stingray

orcfiend

hmm.. seems like there's a serious lack of bassists in singapore! either that or they lack computers/internet :(

anyway hey all! i'm new to soft yah. but i've been playing bass for 4 years now, gigged around quite a fair bit.. anyway enough about myself. ;)

thinking of getting a new bass, either a warwick streamer or ernie ball stingray. problem is, the warwicks at swee lee aren't really that good (or the good ones are upwards of $3000). and sinamex ernie balls are new (which aren't that powerr either.) lookin to get a bass with awesome tone, right now i've set up my bass to sound like flea's modulus/ernie ball using my ampeg ba115 but once i bring it elsewhere instead of sounding like lion's roar it sounds like a cat mewling. my current bass body is really hollow and the neck has poor sustain. anyone used ernie ball/warwicks before to give a good opinion? thks..

well, everyone says that the bass is easy..

i say that's rubbish, everyone has this screwed concept so they just go to the jam studio and pick up the bass.. and anyhow whack..

holding down the groove/timing is already damn hard to master.. and with the huge punk following in singapore ..no one respects the bass anymore so of course la.

but then again, how good do you want bassists to be? you want them to shred? i think for myself i can slap tap pluck use a plectrum know my theory can improvise can liao.. and basically have to possess a feel for the diff songs ..

?

firstly, not everyone thinks or says bass is easy. you're just unlucky so far. ;)

secondly, how good?

well, just 4 things.

1. knowing where all the notes lie on the bass
2. playing with more than just 3 fingers
3. discipline to fortify the backbone of the song and lock with the drummer
4. ability to recognise that bass more rhythm than melody

sadly, all these(very esp, the third) are lacking in alot of our bassists or pple who attempt to play bass.

keeping time is a basic every musician has to have.
and why would someone want the bassist to shred?

heh well i dont know how unlucky i am, just a qns.. go around asking people whether they think that the bass is an easy instru, bet the most common ans would be "yes" because "four strings only wat".

and yah, sure keeping time is every musician's basic prerequisite but i believe that in order to lock with drummer.. keeping time to the dot is the basic requirement. using foottapping etc, all basic skills required. but all this comes with practice and time. using a metronome helps. and i think the playing with 3 fingers thing, wouldn't really worry about it.. i myself play with four but i guess if you're comfy and able to paly with 3..its ok. unless you play really complicated licks at t=250 then maybe that's a prob.. heh :p

one thing that erks me though, is how the way people pluck. the thumb(or should i say hand) rest ..totally salah..

and shredding. my god, look at billy sheehan! dont you just love his shredding? not to mention cliff burton..

perhaps the serious musicians/bassists rather play their instrument than to talk too much on the internet forums, IMHO...

hahaha the above, you're probably right!

wait. that means i'm not a serious musician.

sianz.

~

no no, i mean being ABLE to play with more than 3 fingers, and not playing with more than 3 fingers. and erm, no one can keep time to the dot. i'm sure you know that. :)

anyways, one of the easiest ways to keep time to a song is to sing it while playing it. out or in the head, up to you.

iam not a serious musician too :lol:

everyone has their own views and playing style, what is right or wrong, who is to say, as long as the music continues.....

eh i like to dance. like dose 70s pop hits. then must coordinate the moves one. damn funny.

i wonder how did a thread abt warwick or ernie ball become some debate on what makes a good bassist :|

bro ?! no offense

with your budget why limit yourself to these two models ?

how bout a

rickenbacker 4003
Fender American deluxe jazz bass
Fender Japan aerodyne jazz bass ( i m getting this later this week)

or maybe even a custom bass from a malaysian luthier GIM ?

Rickenbacker's tone is too powerful lol and it's really darned heavy!! i'd think my height would reduce over the years :p

oh yea, i forgot to mention that i was looking for a 24 fret neck, for fenders not many models xcept maybe the signatures..which is really..um. yeah. fender jap the quality compared to the american fenders, seems different. i dont know, maybe it's my ears..

speaking of which, the aerodyne model is real nice! nice choice.
was thinkin of custom too, but have to wait . i'm quite impatient :lol:

Yeah, I think Japs are geared more towards making the perfect vintage copy, while the Americans/Mexs are more modern sounding.
There's a new 24 fret neck Jazz Bass if you're interested. :D
Jazz Bass 24

wangdexian said:
Yeah, I think Japs are geared more towards making the perfect vintage copy, while the Americans/Mexs are more modern sounding.
There's a new 24 fret neck Jazz Bass if you're interested. :D
Jazz Bass 24

the one brother subversion recommended ? no idea when it will reach SG leh ! released in US for this year's NAMM .

why don't u order a skyline? there's someone selling a second hand lakland too. u can also try spector euro series, or go to ebay and land one of those 90s czech-made NS-4. or a status S1, or S2. or T-bass. or u can look on bunnybass/basscentral/bassgear for a used roscoe. i know someone who got his, with neck treatment and overhaul, for just 2.4k

Back