Vox AC4TV

faizal_rocks

http://www.voxamps.com/images/modernclassic/ac4tv/lg_ac4tv_front.jpg
http://www.voxamps.com/images/modernclassic/ac4tv/lg_ac4tv_top.jpg

Click above to see the full size pics.

Price: $300 at City Music (but its out of stock at the moment)
Thanks to the CM staff for letting me and Ized try this amp to its maximum

potential.

Features: Ok, what we have here is an affordable all-tube practice amp,
rated at 4 Watts. Comes with a 1 x 10" Celestion speaker. One 12 AX7 tube at
the preamp and one EL84 tube at the power stage. Controls are Tone, Volume and
OP level (to select between 4W,1W and 1/4 W).4W offers the most clean headroom
and 1/4W has the least clean headroom and goes into overdrive quickly. This
amp can even be connected to a cab for versatility. Looks retroish too
overall. Seems that Vox are jumping in the bandwagon along with Epiphone and
Blackheart.

Sound: We plugged in a Craftsman Strat (H-S-S pickup config) straight
thru the amp, no pedals yet. Sounds great clean below 12 O clock with the
Strat twang at 4W but this amp really comes alive when it goes beyond 12 O
Clock. I put the volume knob at 3 O Clock, adjusted to 1W setting and I could
get a great classic rock tube overdrive at acceptable hearing volume. It
really shines on the bridge humbucker, playing classic rock stuff like AC/DC,
Led Zeppelin, Beatles, Rolling Stones is not a problem at all! Had a great
time playing the riffs to Highway To Hell, You Shook Me All Night Long etc :)
And this is where the guitar's volume knob comes in handy, it cleans up really
well when the guitar's volume knob is turned down. This amp is great for
cleans and great tube breakup overdrive but what it won't do is high gain
metal distortion. Get a decent distortion pedal for it.
And now for the acid test to see if takes pedals well. According to Ized,
there was a Vox AC15 that he tried thru before that didn't sound good due to
lack of clean headroom and the tone was coloured. We plugged in Ized's trusty
7th Heaven pedal and lo and behold, instant high gain metal territory.The
clarity and definition of the amp combined with the pedal is clear and not
muddy at all. Even Ized was surprised, he commented that when he tried the 7th
heaven thru the AC15 back then, it sounded nasal, thin and bright/harsh
sounding.

Conclusion: My only complaint is that the amp does not have reverb and
tremolo .At $300, it really is affordable for an all-tube amp. According to
the amp's label on it, Vox uses a good quality transformer and spare parts in
the amp. Compared to that of a Epiphone Valve Junior, which has low quality
parts/transformer, 5W,1 X 8 " speaker,one volume knob, 1 12AX7/1 EL84 and
costing about $375 (if I remembered correctly cos I used to own the VJ combo
before). Between the Vox and Epiphone, in terms of quality of sound and
features, the Vox wins hands down. There's the head and cab version coming out
for this next month or so, according to City Music, so that's one to consider.
Well, what can I say? A great Vox sound that won't leave a huge dent in your
wallet (or purse)..:)

Last edited:
this i gotta try! all tube? 10 inch speaker? on board attuenator? good cleans? LOOKS GOOD too? will try this weekend.

simple yet great review. thanks bro faizal!

theunknown: Haha thanks, u must thank Ized too as he also helped in writing this review. Btw, this amp is out of stock at the moment, only coming in July. The one we tried was the display one. Dunno if its still there. Nonetheless, this is good deal for a tube amp :)

Tried it today.

Here are my thoughts:
The cleans are delightfully tasty, has that sparkling vox chime to it (though not as prominent as their other ACs), never tried it with pedals. Good cleans, with plenty of headroom at bedroom levels when operating at 4W.
The cranked sound is more of an acquired taste. I liked the muddy and squishy notes, making it feel more old school rather then more defined and clear modern stuff. Kinda like a RAT or a Screwdriver, OD with fuzz characteristics.

I tried this amp alongside the Night Train, and the Night Train simply excelled in every characteristic. So I quickly dispelled all thoughts on acquiring the AC4. Both amps however does not have an effects loop.

Overall, the AC is a fantastic amp for those on a budget. Sounds great in your bedroom, nice clean, only one tone control so it shouldn't be hard to dial in a good tone. Also able to achieve nice bluesy overdrive to slightly cranky rock tones. Get this if you're considering a new practice amp!

Last edited:
That's why I wanna try the amp with my SD-1 and Fuzz face! Confirm steam ah.. But still, the Night Train was really THE amp for the price.. Made the AC4 pale in comparison..

of course....one amp is 4W single ended class A and the other is 15W push pull leh....how to compare?

It also helps that speaker cabinet that they let you test the Night Train with is good quality stuff. Dhalif was the one who let me try it through the Vox 2x12 cab.

Last edited:
I tried the Night Train and the AC4 when I went to collect my AC4 that day, and it was one big mistake.

The Night Train pwned the AC4 in almost every aspect, and it really made the AC4 sound shitty.

But hey, you're paying 2 times the price (exclusing the cab mind you) for the Night Train and it sure as hell would be too loud for my home. The AC4 is a great deal for money nonetheless, and I am happy with my purchase.

Night Train soon to come in my bedroom hehe.

Well, I for one believe that you ultimately get what you pay for....

Its kinda pointless to compare those 2 amps when firstly they have different specs (one is 4W and the other is 15W) and you'r paying nearly twice as much for a Night Train...excluding the speaker cabinet. C'mon, i'm sure you guys learnt about standardised variable testing in your physics/chemistry lessons back then in secondary school/jc right? :mrgreen:

Both amps are in totally different ballparks and will serve different needs. A more suitable comparison of an amp in in the same class as the AC4 is the Blackheart or VJ combo. Which I feel the Vox AC4 outdoes both admirably. Next to both of these amps, the AC4 sounded less boxy and it even reminded me of Faizal's modded VJ (tubes and transformer changed) but at less than half the price. Definitely something for all you bargain hunters out there.

The Night Train is in another league of its own, i preferred the amp to its closest competitor in the market, the Orange Tiny Terror. Cleans on that amp definitely owned the Tiny Terror hands down. Last thing i recalled was the Tiny Terror cleans were only above average and not too pedal friendly. The Night Train took the ts9dx and the seventheaven and turned into a devastating high gain monster that could easily rival the crunch of a high gain 50W tube stack, at lower volume levels. The Tiny Terror's dirt sounded a little more crunchy and saturated but nothing a dirt pedal couldnt fix. Which is what made the Night Train a winner in that aspect.

actually im looking at this amp because im playing through a valbee now, and i wanna experiment playing through a stereo set up already. howeverr...

i tried the night train too. urghh!!! one of the most affordable and greatest tones i've heard (since i never ever test- tried amps i cant afford)

I've been reading all the replies to the review that I wrote here and I will back up Ized's 2nd last comment. The AC4TV should never be compared with the Night Train. Both these amps are in completely different worlds of their own and its unfair to compare them both side by side. It would be fair, however, to compare the AC4TV against the Epiphone Valve Junior, Blackheart Little Giant and Fender Champion 600 as these are single ended Class A amps.

I hope I clear this up before anyone reading the comments above my post here gets the wrong idea.

actually im looking at this amp because im playing through a valbee now, and i wanna experiment playing through a stereo set up already. howeverr...

i tried the night train too. urghh!!! one of the most affordable and greatest tones i've heard (since i never ever test- tried amps i cant afford)

one thing's for sure- the AC4 is in the same class as your Valbee and it sounds much better... much better bass manifestation and response from its 10" celestion driver 8) And it takes the 7th well too :)

Yea faizal, Its like comparing apples and oranges....if you wanna compare, compare something similar....a 10W amp is obviously not going to sound anything like a 100W tube stack, just for the sake of illustration.

one thing's for sure- the AC4 is in the same class as your Valbee and it sounds much better... much better bass manifestation and response from its 10" celestion driver 8) And it takes the 7th well too :)

Ah that's true.. Doesn't sound as thin as the valbee.. Can't say much against the Valve Jr.. I like the fatness of the cleans.. The AC is more chimey and of course, it has gain at bedroom levels! The AC is definitely better than the Blackhearts, but side by side with the Valve Jr, that depends entirely on what you want and what you need!

Well, assuming both amps are stock with zero mods- the AC4 definitely beats the VJ in the "takes pedals well category"- no fight. The VJ also sounds more boxy and compressed?

Which was a total shocker for me as i've never had a good experience with Vox amps taking pedals. From my experience, they sound best with being pushed with a mild gain pedal to further supplement the amp's drive for that sweet breakup. Nice one trick pony for that. The new AC4 and Night Train was an entirely different story (refer to review).

That was what made the deal for me.

Last edited:
I'd say the VJ takes pedals VERY well as well.. Can't compare that between the two amps.. I think they both take pedals excellently.. ;-)

Speaking of the Vox Nighttrain can any1 review it?

sorry to digress from the threads main purpose/topic.

the night train sounds awesomely sweet. I tested it with a bogner212 and it sounded great IMO.love the overdrive and awesome with the cleans.sadly,they it won;t be in stock till quite sometime.i wish i didn;t have to wait for it to arrive.

i can't really give a indepth review on it but for the 10 mins i had testing it.it sounded brilliant.

Back