Very Very Bad Experience at Guitar Workshop Bras Basah

abudan

Heres the story.

Ive been using this guitar (Gibson LP Traditional Pro) for 6 months. I didnt realise that the action on this guitar was considered a bit high until a buddy of mine told me so the other day. (Pls dont question me why I bought this guitar without a good setup in the 1st place). The action is the only problem that existed for me, there were no fret buzzes or what not. Anyways he suggested that I go to a luthier to get it setup properly ie lowering the action. I understand that a good setup will help me improve my playing and speed tremendously and enable me to execute difficult techniques more effortlessly, so without hesitation I went to research on guitar setup in Singapore and found Guitar Workshop Bras Basah.

From their website, you can see pages of testimonials written for their excellent service provided. And one section even included "All final products will go through the thorough scrutiny of owner, Mr Francis Poh to ensure the products and repair work are high in quality and that customers will be satisfied" Atlas, as an average consumer blinded by the overwheming testis, I decided that this was the shop Im going to, without even researching on market price for a guitar setup.

So the next day, I knocked on their doors with my guitar and requested for help. One of the apprentice immedietly served me with much enthusiam, noticing that this was a pretty expensive guitar. He went on affirm that the action was indeed high for fast playing, and that it that it would take a day to get this setup, ending his quotation by saying that this is just a minor setup and will cost only $70.

Without much hesitation, I allowed him safe-keep my guitar for the weekend, looking forward to playing a nicely setup guitar after 48hrs. Hooray! Thats what I thought.

So today after class (im a teacher), I immedietly teleported myself to the shop. Anticipating my nicely setup LP. To my horror, within 10 secs of playing, I could hear the unbearable fret buzz on the 9th-11th frets on all 6 strings. What is this?! The luthier apprentice (not the boss) who took the guitar out for me to test even adressed me "Sir this is your guitar its already setup, you can try it." Do you mean you dont check for playability before you even consider the job done? Yes all I asked for was lowering of action as much as possible, and indeed the action is lowered and frets are nicer to touch now, but that was bullshit, it wasent a complete job, there were obvious fret buzzes, it was simply unacceptable! Wasnt checking for playability part of the Post-Work check for every luthier?

SO where is the part where they say "All final products will go through the thorough scrutiny of owner, Mr Francis Poh to ensure the products and repair work are high in quality and that customers will be satisfied"???? Can I safely say that they were waiting for me to spot their flawed craftmenship? If I were a green horn & didnt manage to find out that there were fret buzzes after the setup and happily bring the guitar home thinking that my guitar is now in PERFECT playability, I would be wasting $70 bucks and probably incurring more for the fret buzz correction afterwards!

Anyways here comes the exciting part. Now that the apprentice realised that there were indeed fret buzzes, he went on to comment that the seller who sold this guitar to me did not do a proper setup and thus the fret buzzes occured. And later quoted that in order to get this fixed, it would be considered a major setup and would cost me $150. You cannot imagine how furious I was. If that guitar was a $200 Made In China LP, I ll probably smash it on their door and walk away. I couldnt really recall what he said after, but it all made no sense to me anymore, considering the fact that I had to surface a fret buzz problem by myself on a "Fully Setup Guitar" by a renowned Luthiering shop in Singapore with pages of testimonials.

In the end, I agreed to let him finish all that needs to be done on that guitar for the price of $150. I figured if I go off paying $70 to him, I would still have to pay someone else to level/fix my fret buzz problem, it would be too much a hassle and probably more costly in the end. Im not a big fan of running here and there. So I succumbed.

Well I certainly hope the shop owner or the apprenctice doesnt see this and go on to hate me and go screw my guitar up (Guitar is there now). I was just really angry. But right now all I want is that they can do a good job to let me change my impression of their shop. If you were me, what would you do. If anyone has encountered this kinda problem before, please advise. Or maybe it doesnt matter, since Im already committed to paying the $150. :(

dude i really feel for you

personally not a giant fan of guitarworkshop though i can only say i've been there to buy some of their parts (a bit steep and prices aren't pasted on the parts so sometimes i go a bit 'hmmmmmm')

for that money ($150) , you can go to standard value and get a bone nut + setup for your LP. And i believe even their apprentices do a pretty good job

all in all, adjusting an LP is really quite easy, you just need a few screwdrivers and probably an allen key - that saves me a lot of money esp when setting up to a passable level

There are so many old timers here bro. Should have asked around before you went for setup at that place. Well, like said, take your guitar back first.

Thats a very high price for a setup. Hmm, it is very unprofessional for the guy there to tell you after finding out about the fret buzz that is was the previous owners fault. I mean, he had already done the setup right? If he said he done a minor setup (i assue all he did was lower the bridge) then $70 is ridiculous.

Later, he said a major setup has to be done (assuming its adjusting of truss rod, intonation etc) to fix the fret buzz. Fret buzz can be caused by many problems (uneven frets, warped neck etc), so i would guess you will have to pay more than a "minor" setup, but still its pretty expensive.

The part which really irks me is that he placed the blame on the previous owner regarding the fret buzz. He had already done the setup, so he should have checked for buzzing and everything else. If he found the problem, he should have called you up and told you the guitar needed further setup which will cost more. That would not have been so screwed up. But by doing what he did, it seems like he was hoping that you dont know your stuff and he would be able to get away with it.

I personally have a bad image of guitar workshop. I once went there to look for a guitar to buy, they have pretty cool guitars there. When i entered the shop to look around, the staff (not the boss, the boss is a really nice guy) asked me if i need anything, mind you, he was already showing a gloomy and impatient face. So I replied that I was just looking around. The bloody bugger rolled his eyes and stormed back behind the counter to work on a guitar. Needless to say, I walked out immediately. Disgusting attitude from that particular staff.

I have no doubts that the owner or the apprentices are probably reading this but I trust them with the integrity to do a good final setup and not screw and do stupid things to my guitar upon reading this. They couldnt feel as perturbed as I am. And I think they would understand how i felt. In fact I encourage them to read this thread.

If everythings goes well on Saturday, I will take back what Ive said and even commend them on their work, and even recommend people to go there for setup in the future. I sincerely hope they can prove my thread wrong and Present me with a nicely setup guitar with integrity on Saturday. We ll see and I will certainly keep this thread updated!

I would like to say that electric guitars can be setup with buzzing and I'd still think it's ok. It only becomes a problem when the frets begin to choke.

let's say if someone were to ask me if they wanted low action, I would be thinking a height of 1.25mm away from the 12th fret (for the 1st string) as a good indication. That is considered super low action and if the guitar's action can be lowered to such a height without choking, I say it's a job well done. I used to do that for all my Ibanez guitars with a floating bridge. However for most traditional guitars, that is usually not possible due to the radius.

Yeah it buzzes like crazy but the point is, if you can't hear it through the amplifier, it's all good. It's an electric guitar and the only way you are going to hear it is through the amplifier. There are some luthiers who recommend overtightening the neck just to get paper thin action.

I've outgrown the low action phase. now my action on the 1st string is typically between 1.5 - 1.75. Bending is such a joy with such action.

Acoustic guitars are way different as they are meant to be loud even without amplification.

Typical low action would be 1.5mm away from the 12th fret. Regular action about 1.75mm. If you need help with that, buy this:
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Straightedges/String_Action_Gauge.html

If for example the notes are choked on a 1.5mm action, the frets on the guitar might have popped up (usually on the higher frets) and might require a skilled repair man with the proper tools to fix that problem. You can level the frets down but that would be costly.

You should bring your friend down to test the guitar as well. I'm not siding with GW. I'm just saying that it might not be as bad as you think it is.

For people who ask me to do set ups, I pretty much do it my own way and let them try. The emphasis here is that the customer has to try the guitar. If it's good, we are both happy. If the customer wants higher/lower action, that can be fixed easily. I can do a good set up yes but end of the day, I believe that the set up has to be tweaked to perfection based on the customer's request.

In any case, Les Pauls are not meant for low action. defeats the overall purpose of owning one. Les Pauls are meant for killer sustain notes and that requires slightly higher action and string gauge.

Anyway, let's hope they do a good job and you are satisfied with the work.

I had a bad experience there too. Feel ya bro.
They don't tell you all the costs up front and little by little keep telling you have to pay for this, pay for that. I went there to get a pickguard swap plus a setup and it cost me about 120 dollars. And very bad service to boot (comparatively). Good luck with the guitar.

Due to several botched jobs and bad experiences I had in the past, I'm quite wary of the standard of some of the so-called "guitar techs" out there. Some are just kids, part-timers or like the OP said, "apprentice" who have limited skills and experiences. But the real issue is the lack of supervision and final checks done by the shop owners or qualified guitar techs (assuming they also know what they're doing!). Furthermore, making excuses, passing the buck or being in denial for every botched job definitely make things much worse.

Nowadays, for all my guitar set-up, I only go to Beez and Malcolm.

For good, simple, no frills and affordable set-up, Beez is da man. You can sit around and talk-cock with him while you watch him work on your guitar. You can also learn a thing or two as he's always willing to share. And he's very handy with the soldering iron if your guitar's electronics go kaput.

If you're anally retentive about your set-up and want everything to be micro-inch perfect, then Malcolm is the guy. He does major set-up jobs like fret filing, refretting and other complex repairs. He's a certified luthier and his fees are much higher.

i bet the problem here may be his apprentice.
Francis is a rather nice chap.

You should speak to Francis personally about this.

$70 to lower your action "ONLY" is too pricey.
Bring to my house i lower the action "ONLY" for you F.O.C. It's not rocket science...

$70 for a "full regular setup" (change strings, lower action, neck relief, intonation, pickup height adjustment) is already on the pricey side.

$150 for a major setup?! ( Define major. Fret level? Re-fret? )

It's always good to check with the old birds here. they will point you in the right direction.

Come collection day, please check your guitar properly. If you are not satisfied with the setup. Insist that they do it correctly before paying. That is how setup's work. Your guitar tech has to setup the guitar to your preferences.

and by all means...
Francis or his apprentices are not luthiers...

Last edited:
^ What he said
I always bring my stuff to Beez.
Only till recently i figured out how to do my own setup (intonation, neck relief, action)
and it's quite fun to achieve something that i really like.

$70 is way too much to just reduce action, i'm sure some of us here can help you do that for free.

Standard setups cost from $40-$60 and i think 60 is kinda expensive already.

I have only once brought my guitar for a setup to a famous guitar tech ( I shall not name who) for a setup. Even though the problem was 'sort of' solve but I was happy cause it did not made my standard. From than on, I wanted to learn and do it myself. With help from some guitar guru @ soft :) and the Internet, I managed to do what I wanted.

From than on, I further on to change pickups, change pots, spring, etc.

So my opinion is better at least u knw basic skills of setup before u send it for one. At least you knw what the guitar tech has did to your guitar. At least you know he's not 'smoking' you hehe

On a fixed bridge LP, there's isn't much setup that can be done apart from straightening the neck, adjusting the intonation. If the neck has been straightened and buzzing across multiple frets, then you are likely to have uneven frets, which would require frets relevelling.

If I were you, I would insist to pay only $150 provided that the frets are levelled properly with low playing action since that was my initial objective, to get my guitar lowered as much as possible. Any guitar "tech" who leaves a neck with multiple buzzing without picking up the phone to ask of your opinion is just wacking you...

Like quite a few mentioned, learn the basics of setting up so at least u know how to adjust your neck relief time to time, which you would need to, due to our high humidity.

Some serious mis-communication here… it pays to clarify the key focuses before entering into a guitar set up job. The involved parties should be aware of this forum discussions. Hope that they take it with the right spirit to improve things. Best wishes for you LP.

Last edited:
like me, confirm kena screwed.

quote : "All final products will go through the thorough scrutiny of owner, Mr Francis Poh to ensure the products and repair work are high in quality and that customers will be satisfied"

this is bull sxxx. been there several times, Mr Francis Poh was never there, never see him and only found out how he look like from the website!

Not trying to side with anyone. But I personally find Guitar Workshop is a great shop. Spoken to Francis a few times when i went there.

They fixed my fernandes sustainer before(which a lot of shops can't do) for a very reasonable price, fixed my gibson lp broken neck, installed pickups, blocked floyd rose, etc

All were done in great standards and good price.

I kinda suspect that particular shop assistant is the one who is trying to pull a fast one on you. Last time there was this nice Filipino guy who assist me there. Not sure whether he is still around, I think his name is Nino

I spend alot on gear.. and really When it comes to my guitars and amps. ONLY goose touches them. Beez is awesome too. But for the past 5-6 years. Only Goose. He sets it up with feel and makes sure it's what YOU want When u leave.

Back