Very Challenging Exercise for drummers

Vio

Picked this up from internet, this is NOT my own created exercise.

Do paradiddles with both hands and feet, but with either the hands or the feet at half the tempo of the other.

Eg.

feet go R L R R L R L L R L R R L R L L

while hands play at half the tempo

hands go R L R R L R L L

(match the colours and play the corresponding foot and hand of the same colour together)

Reverse the exercise where the hands go twice the tempo of the feet.

Good luck~!

Wonder if its too hard to understand...

I think I've seen this on MXTabs. Some article called paraddidle independence or something.

Haven't really tried though.

Go and grab a copy of his DVD: Creative Control..

I got mine from Amazon... 2 DVDs.. Full of materials for drummers to learn..

His legs are fast.. Not super fast but really amazing..

Heel up on the left leg, heel down on the right leg and then do the paradiddle stuff at neckbreaking speed..

Si beh cialak siah.. very confusing if U want to jump right at it..

I tried once but didn't get to grasp the pattern..

hey shred5 care to share more? that heel up and heel down exercise sounds really interesting!

btw has anyone been able to nail the exercise i posted up? it's insanely difficult for me so far... i have to go at... 20 bpm or something.

I attempted it but failed miserably...

How about something more evil? :evil:
feet playing paradiddlediddle at full speed, hands playing triple paradiddle at half speed? or even flamadiddlediddle with feet?

i can't do the thing that u posted!! :(

i have no double paddles so i bo pian muz use the hi hat paddle..haiz. and it sucks cuz the tension's different no matter how i try to set it. need help here..anyone????? and my parents dun allow me to buy double paddle OR a REAL DRUMSET...mine's a shitty 30 year old electronic drumset which still works..juz that the pads are not as sensitive as before. 30 year old man...older than me...i have a pair of sticks which are juz as old hhaha. of course i buy new sticks. (using dave weckl's evolution..very nice grip and bounce for me) u noe y these crap are older than me?? i'm only 15 and my dad bought these stuff when he was a teenager! and i'm still using..antique man.. 8)

i better keep practicing
~drummar buah~

All these rudiments exercises are essentials for drummers. But for me, I don't really use them much.. I understand the importance of these exercises but its not really needed now to what I'm playing.. I'm more keen in the Groove. Locking those tight groove is more important to me.. Just keep a solid and tight beat to ensure that the band is tight.

In the group that I'm currently in, other instruments will tend to outshine me cos thats their role.. hehehe.. I'm just giving them the solid groove that they need to keep their time constant. Even though once in a while I'll throw in a 32nd note leg roll just to let of my steam and they'll be staring at me 8O .

Its nice to see their reactions.

Nevertheless, Its important to know all the basic fundamentals, rudiments, etc. Maybe in the near future. :wink:

shred5 yeah thats very true man... keeping the groove and maintaining a solid rhythm is so important (and difficult as well!)

still i believe all drummers should never stop diong their rudiments. big claim here for someone who doesn't practice them much... but yeah we all know it helps us no matter at wat level yea? :wink:

yah these rudiements are really useful..but do we have to learn them that fast till we can roll each rudiment at 250bpm? ok la maybe 250bpm is a little exaggerating. (but u guys get the idea of wat i'm trying to say?) yah. ok maybe for double and single stroke that's ok cuz these are the 2 mostly used rudiment used for drumming.

think about it. what about paradiddles? my friend always challenges me who can go the fastest with paradiddles. but isit really necesarry to play paradiddles at 200bpm while drumming? Maybe some drummers do that just to show off a little (i mean...who doesn't?? =X ) but what i'm trying to say is that other than using paradiddles for little bit of show off, u use paradiddles to help u reach ur drum easier. FOR EXAMPLE if u wanna play some single strokes on the tom and then end with a stroke on the snare, then u realise that your last hit on the toms was with your left hand and ur left hand is obstructing your right hand to hit the snare to end off in time. And your left hand is not fast enough to hit the floor tom and hit the last stroke on the snare. (this applies to right handed drummers)

well. if this happens, u can use paraddidles to switch your hand strokings so that u hit 2 notes on the toms with your right hand and end off with a snare with your left hand. that is what i feel paraddidles are for. of course u may have to speed up your paraddidles depending on the tempo of the music u play.

i don't know if u guys can picture what i'm trying to tell u all. please tell me if u are able or not able to. haha i can't do anything even if u can't ppicture it actually.... maybe a live example will help. but that won't happen for me. :roll: haha

~drummar buah~

drummar-buah, i am not a drummer but i think that it is good to learn the rudiments and master it. fast tempo or not is subjective. the objective is to build up muscles and flexibility to control playing the drums better.

yeah exactly wat soft has said haha. flexibility and control.

i didn't advice AGAINST not mastering the rudiment. i was talking about building tremendous speed for paradiddles. i was juz saying that training for high speeds for paradiddles is not necesary. even though i'm saying this, i myself am trying to build up speed wif my paradiddles =X haha.

anyway..The rudimental idea focuses on training the hands to execute virtually any rhythm pattern that the mind might imagine.

~drummar buah~

Woah, what's with the colour codes, bro.
Haha.
paradiddleindependence.jpg

Here's something I whipped up. Should be easier to intepret

Anyway, many new drummers underestimate the importance of rudiments.
It's the basis of drumset drumming, the fundamental, the rudimentary (where the word 'rudiments' comes from). It can be used to construct beats and grooves. One good example is Steve Gadd. His famous hihat pattern revolves around the double strokes and his mozambique patterns are constructed out of paradiddles.

And many drummers look at some of the drumming gods and just go like wow. Fast chops, solid fills. They wonder what their parents actually used to feed them when it's all about building up your rudiments. I personally love constructing fills out of rudiments. Go listen to Rush's Limbo. The tom intro by Peart is ultimately still the manipulation of rudiments. [/img]

Back