Uneven and loud picking bass tone.

holas

Hey guys , need some advice here. When i play my A string on my bass ( standard tuning for example ) it appears that my E string ( thickest string ) produce louder sound then the thinner strings ( A , D , G ). Is it something wrong with my pickups or anything ? And i can hear the picking sound from the amp when i play. Did i play it too hard or ? I've set the amp's equaliser like the V shaped setting. Hope you guys can help , thanks.

Relax dude, it's nothing wrong actually. Using a compressor will balance out the dynamics.
What do you mean by hearing the picking sound from the amp?

Your problems may all be originating from your EQ-ing.. when you set a scooped curve you emphasise the lowest and the highest frequencies of your bass. The low frequencies are most pronounced on the thicker strings (i.e. your low E string even when you fret the A note) than the thinner ones and the middle strings de-emphasised by the scooped mids, and the clicking sound of your picking is emphasised by the high bands of the EQ. You might want to try bringing down the ends and bring up the middle bands just a tad.

Might be due to a variety of factors:

1) Inconsistent picking / plucking strength

2) Improper EQ

3) Poorly set action

4) Improper setting of pickup height

I'm sure there are other possible reasons, but these are the few I can think of.

Might be due to a variety of factors:

1) Inconsistent picking / plucking strength

2) Improper EQ

3) Poorly set action

4) Improper setting of pickup height

hmm lol, i experience the same prob as you.. my 4th string A , and my open 3rd string sounds so different. as in tone. i dont think its the EQ prob, cos i tried all kinds of different " formulas". and cant be my inconsistent plucking strength. hm i tink it has to do with my action and pickup height.
anw my bass tend to have very little "echo" sound. any ideas whether its like the pickup height that is causing it?

Check to see if your pickup's pole pieces are the same distance away from their respective strings they're supposed to pickup.

Back