Ugly in the Morning’s debut album

soft

Administrator
Staff member
Album reviewed by sunjee(sunilsingapore@hotmail.com)

Ugly in the Morning’s debut album offering speaks volumes for the state of our local music. The band oozes creative spunk, ably demonstrated by this 9 track, self titled and produced album that offers a diverse set of funk/rock inspired numbers (East of Freedom, Diamond, Pastor Pete/A Week), smooth sing-along anthems (On and On, Copper, Stupid ‘A’ Song) and catchy ballads (Wooden Dog, Carpets).

Each song masterfully grabs you by the short hairs right from the get go, and end in a heady crescendo … leaving you breathless and asking for more. If forced at gunpoint to pick my favourites out of the album (and it would be hard not because of a lack of choice), Stupid ‘A’ Song and On and On would be, for me, the album’s seminal offerings.

Make no mistake, each song is carefully crafted, and its phrasing brings you on a musical journey that is entertaining and rewarding in equal measure. I grabbed the chance to sit in on one of UITM’s jams to get a feel for the band. The venue – the home studio of Clement, UITM;s bassist. What grabbed me was that these guys obviously enjoy the creative process of making music. I was also rather alarmed by Clement chasing Noel around David’s car at the outset of the jam. However, the band reassures me that this is quite normal... In between extended periods of good natured vocal jousting between the band, the band went through its usual set of songs from the album and even songs from artists the band collectively loves – like Hendrix, Matthew Sweet, Floyd.

I was impressed by the band’s equally enjoyable “warm-up” free form jam. The band demonstrates an enviable musical competence (so rare in bands) and even more notably, fall into a slick groove almost instinctively. To put it simply, these guys kick ass “Live”. And playing live did not seem as daunting to the band as I would have expected. No surprise since the band has played pretty extensively. (see Chronology of Performances) Starting with “fir” its first incarnation in University, when they started paying their dues, as most bands would understandably identify with, the band has gone through several incarnations, changing bassists and drummers along the way. Noel and David form the musical core of the band while Eric and Neal its voice. The band has a great rhythm section in Lin Ping(drums) and Clement (bass) and the outcome – unadulterated talent!

UITM is currently exploring distribution opportunities and will be launching their album on Friday 13 August 2004 at Crazy Elephant, Clarke Quay. If you have only $12.00 left in your piggy, break it and get your copy of UITM’s debut album. Orders can be placed through www.uglyinthemorning.org – one of the guys will hand deliver the album to you. Enjoy!

8) Ugly In The Morning will be performing in HeartRock @ The Park-10 at Maplewood Park , opposite Paya Lebar MGS at Lorong Ah Soo It's on 29 September 2004

HeartRockSingapore said:
8) Ugly In The Morning will be performing in HeartRock @ The Park-10 at Maplewood Park , opposite Paya Lebar MGS at Lorong Ah Soo It's on 29 September 2004

Actually the gig date is wrong, it should be the 25th of September! Cheers!

Back