Two wide stereo piano, Two narrow piano.

kongwee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkdYknuIMzE

Since Cheer mention about wide stereo piano in a mix,I do a rough composition using two wide stereo piano vs two narrow piano.
The first two piano and last two piano are made up of different piano patch.
The first two is the wide stereo patch of Imperfect Sample while grand and AcousticSample Kawai
The last two narrow piano is Imperfect Sample while grand and EXS24 Yamaha grand.
The rest are Ultrabeat, ES 2 and NI Session String to distract the piano.

Will definitely check it out. Thanks for posting.

A word about distracting. I read somewhere that too wide stereo panning of other instruments distract the main instrument (in the center) - which is not a good thing. We actually don't want to distract because the attention should be on the main instrument. Hence they suggested wide stereo field that overlaps with the main instrument, so it doesn't distract too much.

I just got NuGen Stereoizer yesterday. It's really quite amazing and use an interesting technology. Before that, I was using the free Flux Stereo Tool, which is not bad. Except it cannot do the opposite well - turning mono into "stereo". The Stereoizer does both extremely well. The other thing I was trying to do is to turn add give a "stereo" feeling to my mono tenor sax (from Sample Modeling - very good sample).

Thanks for posting. Will check it out soon. I'm now not in Singapore at this moment. So youtube is banned. Will have to tunnel.

Hi Kongwee, I don't quite feel the piano stereo field changed much. I hear the piano at the extreme right in both cases. What do you do to narrow the stereo field? However, the piano doesn't appear to be the main instrument here (all background) - at least in this short clip. So wide stereo piano field should be OK.

Nice music though.

Thank! I know the different is not too big. Just focus on the middle and right pianos. Listen how much they cross each other. Take a listen the bass guitar slightly to the left and compare it with both comping pianos.

I do download the Flux Stereo, but haven't use it yet. I'm preoccupied with using modulation/delay. Take mono instrument and pan left 30%. Insert a stereo delay. No sync and feedback. Dry signal 100%. Left 50% volume with 150ms delay,Right 40% volume with 350ms delay. Start playing around and change the parameter bit by bit. Add reverb with no pre delay too.

Interesting how you use quite a bit of delay! Do try the NuGen Steteroizer. It does that in a very clear graphic way. I've replaced by Flux Stereo Tool with that now. It does quite a few amazing things with stereo placing!

For my clip above, I don't use any delay. You have to judge whether it is necessary to do it. But is very useful technique to create doubling too, especially a lot of stereo delay can "color" the repeated wet signal. More advance delay you can draw up "early reflection" nodes and add a reverb to enhance it. In fact, chorus/flanger/phaser are some sort of delay, but you modulated the repeat signal.

I tried the Stereroizer a bit. It is very useful for stereo widening in master bus.

Not just widening. The Stereoizer is also excellent for narrowing. And turning mono to stereo is something quite complex. You actually need to apply delay to "trick" the listener the mono track is stereo. You can't actually just turn it into stereo. But the Stereoizer did that beautifully!

Anyhow, I enjoyed your clip!

Back