Trying to get fit by January...any tips to get me started?

What's the best way to improve chin-ups without a chin-up bar then? Are there any exercises that can be easily done anywhere? Understand pushups don't help, so what does?

I'm quite worried about my back actually, its been acting up recently. Believe it or not i dun want to go Pes C sia.

no way. it's either ocs/sispec or pes c and below man. you dont wanna be caught in between. it's shit.

Physical Training Program. Conducted 1 month before your BMT in the BMT camp. REALLY gets you in shape. You'll do your route march with no sweat compared to those who didn't go through the PTP.

It's 2 months before the actual BMT now. So that's 8 + 9 = 17 weeks of BMT in total!

"What's the best way to improve chin-ups without a chin-up bar then? Are there any exercises that can be easily done anywhere? Understand pushups don't help, so what does?"

Dumbell or barbell curls or lateral pulldown machines at the gym. It worked for me. By the time you curl 10kg each side only, you can see improvements in your chin ups. Unless you're like over 80kg or something. Then that's not your main worry already.

"no way. it's either ocs/sispec or pes c and below man. you dont wanna be caught in between. it's shit."

The true "in between" are the specs actually. Ask any man if they'd rather be spec. Specs cannot man mode, but we don't have the proper authority to do much. Besides the somewhat 'pride' in having 3 stripes and the rather decent pay, specs have it worst in army, especially if you're a combat spec like myself. Pes C have shitty positions too. I have men who went to navy or airforce after bmt, they were PESA/B and then I had PES C guys who became drivers and storemen in unit. Whose NS life, you actually think, is better? Posting is completely random, and it doesn't mean if you are PES C you will confirm 8-5 and if you are PESA/B you are confirm stay in.

nsf officers are caught in between too, imagine being caught in between your OC and your specs/men. specs are widely regarded to be caught in between officers and men, no dispute. men don't (or seldom) get caught in between, basically for men it's one for all, all for one, just stick together with your mates and you'll be fine. clerks on the other hand may also get caught in between in office.

I'm going to make a really general sweeping statement here, but I don't really like the clerks I've met during my whole NS stint. They seem to be the type who will carry the highest ball they can find in the office, and for some reason they are always loved by the OC and CSM. Plus they wayang, ALOT. And in my company only the clerks were stay out because both chao keng, btw. So if given the choice I'd rather be a rifleman than a clerk, at least rifleman got that camaraderie and garangness that no clerk will ever go through. It really make a difference, like my current school, my new friends were either PES C/E or armorers or some other vocation, and it makes a difference to tell people you were in infantry or a combat post.

To me officers also have that problem, but being an officer, you are generally treated with respect by warrants(the no.1 2LT suck ups) and CSMs. And the shit work is never thrown at officers, ever. Just look at duties. Specs have the worse and most amount of duties at my place. And to add to that, you won't find officer handling armskote, store, bunk stuff, drills, sentry(the list goes on). It's always specs. Officers really get welfare, every time there's a new job to be done, it's most of the time thrown to a spec.

officers get crap from higher ups too, it's just that it's never shown to the specs/men. it's all behind the doors. you are right about the camaraderie that riflemen have though. one for all, all for one.

camaraderie.. that's the whole point of NS, isn't it? so that if war breaks out, you are fighting not only to ensure your survival or to protect your loved ones, but also to make sure your buddies/blood brothers beside you get out alive too. so men, specs and officers all have their job to do and all deserve respect for having served NS.

Last edited:
Start first...think later.....really if your problem is discipline...start jumping in...getting to the gym is half the battle...

I think you could incorporate all the advice in this thread into your life...Take up sports 2-3 days a week(for me its weekends)...weekdays hit the gym...regularly....say Mon Wed Fri....keep your workout to no more than 45 minutes,

do a full body workout for the first month or 2.....so you wanna do some routine like this - 3 exercises for the leg, 2 for the back, 2 for the chest, 1 for the shoulder and some abs....weight to be kept at the level for which you cant do more than 12 reps with proper form...do 3 sets each with a warm up set before it....Stretch before you start your workout and run for 10 minutes before the workout....stretch after the workout and run 20 minutes....

on non workout days...jog for 40 minutes(work it up from 20 to 40)....

this just the working out...with nutrition...its gonna be another ball game....tons of websites and articles you can read....

hope this helps

A longer term outlook.
Rank - Officer - Do NS until 50. Now young say, no problem. Wait till your are 40. Or you may be emigrating. Specs often can settle their NS way before 40. Officers also get shit, but their superiors dun dish it out to them in front of the men. Only maybe the clerks or a CSM might get to see it. Everyone gets arrowed.

Vocation - well if there is a choice, then maybe a discussion can be useful. But I would add, a clerk get to learn about office politics and see the behind the scenes stuff that are useful for later in life (self protection), especially in big HQ setups. Combat vocations think office politics is about carry balls... but backstabbing is the heart of it. In a non profit environment where promotions are limited, carry balls is not enough, because opportunities to show your stuff is limited (non profit what) and the way ahead often is to make the competition look bad.

Another thing to consider is to apply for overseas postings.

Camaraderie - Play WoW or some guild orientated game and you can find camaraderie too.

Train yourself to handle fatigue. No civilian based fitness approach will suffice for military situation. Civilian is about health, getting bigger muscles, losing weight, all these are incidental to military needs. Civilian, train then rest until some recovery achieved, train again. Military no such thing.

Forget about weights or machines, bodyweight exercises are it. Think endurance. Only time weights will be useful for you is a heavy backpack climbing up the stairs. Start with 10kg and keep increasing. Climb up from ground to 20th floor. Take the lift down and do it again. Also train yourself to handle heat. You get heat injuries or any type of injuries, seriously, your sacrifice no one gives a damn, not least the new "citizens".

Supplements like L-Tyrosine are used by US military to maintain mental alertness while physically fatigued if you are interested in getting into officer school.

Good luck, stay safe and well.

One thing I learned in the army is the mental aspect of things. "It's all in the mind", my sergeants always shouted at me when I was in BMT. . Before I went in, 2.4 timing 15 mins and I felt like dying, I was like 19 years old, but now at 29, seldom exercise, older and still feel like dying during the run, I can push myself to complete in 12 mins plus during my annual ippt.

For chin ups, you can go to those neighbourhood fitness corners, there are chin up bars there. Don't be paiseh that people will stare at you. Pull to your limit and then the last one pull up as much as you can and hang there for as long as possible.

Officers are liable until 50, that doesn't mean they will get called up all the way until they are 50. There's a difference between liable and actual reservice ICTs. Once you clear the compulsory LK and HK you are done. You ever met an officer that still did reservice in his 40s? Please tell me his story, would be truly interesting.

Bros back to the topic.Its nice to hear some great NS stories but it'll be better to dish out fitness pointers for NS.

Ok, so basically for BMT there are only a few type of physical stuff, but the intensity and duration increases for the period of BMT.

Route March
If you are from PTP, expect to do much more of these. The starting ones are totally no kick, but when you hit 12km and above it gets more tiring. Basically you carry all your stuff(full battle order) and walk a specified distance. Rest every 4km for 15 mins or so. I don't think there are more than 10 people who actually train for this before they enlist, and those people are most likely crazy.

SOC
This requires a somewhat good amount of upper body strength. Don't believe me? Almost half of the course requires good strength to clear the wall, parallel bars, rope, swing trainer. Had no problem at the start except for the rope. And in BMT the rundown is a joke, so it's more on focusing on the strength to clear part. Try to do monkey bars near your house every day with a backpack with some weight inside, say 5kg or so.

IPPT Skills Training
This is lepak, if you from my company and you get silver or above you can just practice games day instead of doing. Usually done on days your OC decides he's too wasted to supervise any training.

IPPT
As mentioned in previous posts.

Strength Training
Basically you do 10 exercises with a pair of dumbbells, most difficult ones I see people doing tend to be overhead lifts as well as shoulder raises(side/front). If you have a pair of 5kg dumbbells you can train in this as the highest weight in camp is 5kg. Oh, and there's also medicine ball training, which is hilarious.

AGR(ability group run)
Run in your own group, usually there will be 4 groups - A to D, and they will group you according to how good your 2.4 run timing is. This is tiring, and towards the end of BMT can stretch to running for 25 - 30 minutes. I'm just not a runner.

30:60/60:120
This one, if done correctly, is one of the best training for 2.4. Basically for 30:60, you sprint for 30 seconds and jog for 60 seconds. This is repeated 6 - 8 times, depending. If you can sprint all 6 or all 8 times, you are a good runner and most probably can hit the gold timing needed. 60:120 is rarely done in BMT, and is an even bigger killer.

Other than these, you want to start doing those push ups, crunches, and sit ups. And get used to changing around these positions real fast =). Do them on concrete floor, if possible. Throw that mat away. Also, while many people may lift tremendous amount of weight in the gym, to me in army the thing that kills many people is the heat. It's not so hard running for 20 mins straight, but doing it in the tekong sun will test you on your first few weeks. Same with strength training. 5kg dumbbells are really pussy-ish if you went to the gym, but do the same dumbbells in your long 4 attire in the sun, plus the fact that the timing is given slower than what you would do usually, makes it difficult. I hope this read helps somewhat to people entering.

to ts: i don't think its such a bad idea to fail napfa now... my friends that failed their napfa and are in ns now are very much fitter going through the PTP then BMT.. but do put it in mind that NS trains your COMBAT fitness, not your PHYSICAL fitness..

3 years ago - my 2.4 was 12mins
now - 17:30mins

NS is doing wonders for me, the last 2.4 i ran, i faster than you. :mrgreen: haha.

Just curious.Will chin ups for napfa and army be any different?Cause as far as I know.We can choose any style of chin up position for Napfa.The same cannot be said for Army right?Plus there's a standard for chin ups like no kicking,half **** chin up etc?

if its during your BMT, i don't think they really care how you do it.. but maybe once your in a unit it matters, not too sure..

No, there are 3 ways to do chin up for IPPT, standard throughout SAF. It's just that all have to be straight arm hang start, and must chin above the bar. And it does train your physical as well as combat fitness. To improve your running by a lot shows that your physical fitness has improved? Unless you have a different definition for physical fitness. But strength wise, it doesn't really train much, unless you are like a couch potato now, then of course any training is good training. Push ups and Chin ups can only do so much.

Officers are liable until 50, that doesn't mean they will get called up all the way until they are 50. There's a difference between liable and actual reservice ICTs. Once you clear the compulsory LK and HK you are done. You ever met an officer that still did reservice in his 40s? Please tell me his story, would be truly interesting.

You go ask around see if they ends at 40 for them. MR not auto after 13. All depends on need. In armour, they were needed...

Last edited:
Wow thanks for all the tips bros!

Dumbell or barbell curls or lateral pulldown machines at the gym. It worked for me. By the time you curl 10kg each side only, you can see improvements in your chin ups. Unless you're like over 80kg or something. Then that's not your main worry already.."

I've been working with dumbbells for a few weeks now, taking time out during lunch to go the the company gym. You mention it's tough for those over 80, how much should I be curling? I'm somewhere between 70-80, I'm not obese though, just 1.89m tall.

Anyone have any tips for strengthening the back? My back is a real problem 'cause I can't do intensive weight-lifting without straining it. Think it's senget or something. How do I strengthen my back gradually to be able to handle weights without going kaput on me?

whenever you lift weights, lean your back straight against the wall, this supports and protects your back.

anyway if a person is strong enough, he can still do chin ups well even if he is over 80kg. yes it's easier to do chin ups if you are lighter, but if your strength is proportionate to your weight then you can still do it.

NS is doing wonders for me, the last 2.4 i ran, i faster than you. :mrgreen: haha.

You ran faster than me?! OMG omg Abang Zul ran faster than me?! I must wake up my idea already. Hehe. But I challenge all the rest of the stations.

Yeah some people say they are heavy thus they cannot do chin ups. So...my baby cousin cousin can do many? He's barely 3kg heavy.

That's not my point. What I was saying is that if you do 10kg dumbells for curls, at most it will help you if you weigh somewhere around 75kg. For me I did barbell 25kg total, meaning 12.5 each side, when I first got serious into training, and it helped tremendously.

And growling dude, I am 1.96 and used to weight just over 70kg, now I'm 80kg. It can be done, don't despair. You just need to train up for it.

Back