Trying Out Gear

triface

Hello everyone. I'm in the market for a new guitar, and it's my first since I got my very first guitar, which didn't involve much testing other than a demo by whom I believe to be Mike at the Woodlands branch of SV Guitars.

How do you go about testing new gear? Do you straight up say you're just testing? Do you spin some story about going home to consider first? It's not a guaranteed that I'll be comfortable enough to make a purchase there and then, but leaving the shop empty-handed after testing (especially after testing multiple guitars or expensive guitars) seems like a jerk move to me, especially if they're busy and they need to get someone to help you with the testing. Or am I just overthinking stuff?

Side question: How likely is it to have 2 same models of guitar play very differently? Pianos have a tendency to vary in touch and feel, so some people insist on getting the piano that they tried at a showroom instead of one that is supposedly exactly the same.

you're overthinking. As a consumer you want to make sure you get the most out of your money, so it would be an absolute waste to go home with a guitar that you don't like, losing hundreds or thousands of dollars, simply because you feel guilty about trying out guitars in a store.

Many guitar players go to a store and try out guitars for hours without buying anything or before settling on one they deem good enough. IT IS ACCEPTABLE TO TRY A GUITAR AND NOT BUY IT. if you want to thank the salespeople for their time and effort, you can thank them verbally or buy strings or cloths or so.

Most shops are very welcoming of people to try their guitars. I have walked into certain shops such as Swee Lee Bras Basah and just picked guitars to try out (only ask if you want to try through an amp), or SV at peninsular where I had to ask for assistance to try.

And yes depending on production consistency, two guitars of the same model can play very differently. That is the reason why people try before they buy instead of ordering a guitar blindly, because even though its the model you want it may not play as well as you would like.

Most shops are very welcoming of people to try their guitars. I have walked into certain shops such as Swee Lee Bras Basah and just picked guitars to try out (only ask if you want to try through an amp), or SV at peninsular where I had to ask for assistance to try.
I see. Do you just straight up tell them you're trying guitars? It'd probably be better to make it clear that you have an intention to buy a guitar there and then if you're all prepared, huh?

for most the intention is not to buy a guitar. it's to try guitars, and if the right one comes along, to buy it. For instance, it would not be good to tell a store you're buying a guitar, then try all the guitars and find theres not a single one that you like, you're now "obligated" to buy a guitar.

MOST STORES operate this way: you either ask the salesperson to let you try out a guitar (or multiple that you want to try), or just try it yourself and they will ask you if you need assistance. As a consumer, you should NOT be made to feel obligated to buy a guitar.

Triface,

You're not obligated to buy and you have every right to try it to make sure it's what you're looking for. That's your right as a shopper.

Back