Top wrapping the tailpiece

predz23

some time ago I had an epi les paul and my string broke at the tailpiece. The string was completely new and I was stretching the string and it broke. It broke because I top wrap
gibson-wrap.jpg

The strings dug INTO the tailpiece, causing it to 'cut' the string at the ball.
So whats the problem here? cheap epi hardware? if I replace with Gibson hardware would it help? I'm getting an epi from a fellow softie next week so I was thinking of buying some upgrades with it and stuff

lol forgive me for my ignorance, but i really didn't know that you can so called top wrapped the strings; doesn't seem like the thing to do as compared to just putting the strings through from the back eh.

lol forgive me for my ignorance, but i really didn't know that you can so called top wrapped the strings; doesn't seem like the thing to do as compared to just putting the strings through from the back eh.

I like it this way. Because this way the strings are looser and there is less force on the bridge making the bridge easily adjustable and less string breakage at the bridge (but now suddenly at the tailpiece itself). also you can make a cool sound by running your pick through it

Hi TS,

highly suspect that it's the epi hardware at fault. a lot of lespaul users say it's supposed to help PREVENT string breakages. and as u mentioned, the whole easier string bending and so on.

doing some reading on mylespaul.com, the general feel is that the ppl with the better hardware loved the top wrapping, the users in the other spectrum of the opinion seem to be generally using lesser quality hardware. your pictures are from dominocs.com hah, so i'm just reaffirming that which u probably already know.

cheers.

cool, thanks for the insight. haha i guess you can wait for other softies who own a lespaul to provide their input as well. cheers!

My les paul has been strung that way or about 3 years now and i haven't had any strings snap. So it might be your tailpiece. Get a Gotoh as a replacement or something?

It was the B string that broke, because I was doing pentatonic blues licks, with metal intensity. If that one breaks so could the other treble strings

Been doing that for a year with my TGM Les Paul. Read: TGM, the brand everyone disses. No problems whatsoever. Never had a string snapped all my playing life. But the tailpiece develops a so called extra saddle for the string to be put on. Haha.

Last edited:
predz23, was this the first time your string broke? Or has it been breaking very frequently?

when it broke it was obvious it was because of the tailpiece, I changed it to an aliminum tailpiece from gotoh because aluminum is hella strong(thats why they use it to make airplanes). so now it hasn't been braking because its a completely new tailpiece

when it broke it was obvious it was because of the tailpiece, I changed it to an aliminum tailpiece from gotoh because aluminum is hella strong(thats why they use it to make airplanes). so now it hasn't been braking because its a completely new tailpiece

Okay, so now your strings aren't breaking after you changed the tailpiece.

So, whats the point of this thread again??

Okay, so now your strings aren't breaking after you changed the tailpiece.

So, whats the point of this thread again??

it hasn't been breaking because the tailpiece is new, over time the strings might dig into the tailpiece again. my strings didn't break for over 1 year and a half years because the tailpiece wasn't damaged enough yet to break the strings. once it was enough to break the strings then I changed it. The question is whether over time the strings will still dig into the tailpiece, even though the tailpiece is of higher quality. I know that aluminum is strong, but I dont like the sound of it so I ask whether other tailpieces will still be ok?

I know that aluminum is strong, but I dont like the sound of it so I ask whether other tailpieces will still be ok?

Why not? A traditionally good Les Paul usually sports one. Gibson dosent even offer this on their 5k plus standards...you'll need to go to their historic line for that "upgrade"....madness

Anyways I got really good results changing my heavy zinc tailpiece to an aluminium one on my edwards. Its like imagine the tonal qualities of the guitar are now enhanced-more pleasing to the ear. I've also noticed a rounder pick attack and an increase in sustain.

Of course, if your guitar dosent sound very good in the first place this will not make much of a difference. At the end of the day, a turd is still a turd, although polishing helps to some extent.

Actually by top wrapping your strings, it does not change the tone in anyway.

Origins of this practice began in the early 1950's when the tune-o-matic bridges were not yet invented, so strings had to be brought over the top of the tailpiece so that it functions like a saddle, and also to raise the strings such that they do not touch the pole pieces of the P90's or pickups.

The transmission of the tonal vibration in your LP is through the tune-o-matic bridge saddles, the tailpiece only holds the strings in place. Any tonal changes that you "experience" after u top wrap your strings is purely psychological. Nothing actually changes.

As for string tension and ease of string bending, there is again no difference. (It's a fixed bridge for goodness sakes, doesn't matter how your strings are wrapped). I hope this solves your string breakage problems.

Last edited:
Back