Tokyo Guitar shopping guide

omgmatt

Hi all,

I'll be going down to Tokyo for a vacation in Dec this year, seems like a good time to sate my GAS too.
Anyone has any tips or advice for guitar and gear shopping in Tokyo? Especially at the famous guitar street. How are the prices like?

Thanks
Matt

- - - Updated - - -

Update: Will probably be looking to pickup some MIJ gear, looking for maybe a gretsch penguin/duo jet or a semihollow etc.

Prices can be higher for imported items, and our market is competitive enough to fight theirs. Japan goods can be solid, and also their used pieces can go for steals. Since you know about Ochanomizu, there are also a lot of shops near Shibuya station. There's a shop at Shinjuku I didn't get to go to for vintage/used goods called TC Gakki. You can find most catalogues online so plan your journey right in terms of what shops to visit for what products, and whether there'll be sales or something. I am not sure how the tax redemption process is like right now, nor do I know the impact of CITES.

Oh yeah, I’m always on the lookout for those old Jackson stars. Their “not for export” stuff seems the most interesting

Japan is a great place to shop for Gibson Les Pauls.
they are not cheap but you get much prettier variations as the Japanese dealers have the demand and the capital to do Dealer Select runs.
someone once wrote on the LP Forums which I thot summed it up pretty well. he wrote:

Japan gets the pick of the litter. US is a close second. Europe / especially the UK get most of the dogs. the rest of Asia (south and south east) get the turds. Not sure about South America or Africa ... but I’m not hopeful

It’s the right place to GAS for things you can’t buy here. Actually that covers quite an array of guitars including vintage or Japan-only versions of say Fender Strat/Tele, which are for their market only. Yes you can get a few here but not the Japan only models. I’m researching particular Teles as an example. Their available used range will blow your head and it’s the best place where you can do side by side comparisons to find a particular model. Because of the sheer numbers available, either have something in mind what you’re looking for and dedicate hours, if not multiple days, in your hunt. You’ll need the time.w
Price wise, don’t buy something you can buy here as it doesn’t make sense.
Good luck!

Back