Time Is Running Out Bass Effect

audie

Hey guys,

Noob bassist here...been playing for a couple of months......managed to master Time Is Running Out and now, i just purchased a EHX Little Big Muff Pi....anyone knows the recommended setting of the knobs of the muff so that it can achieve the closest effect to the bassline of the song itself...I say again I'm a noob so bear with me hehe....Any help would be greatly appreciated..

haha...i also use the little big muff to do that effect

i usually just put the sustain around 9-12 o'clock and the tone much higher.
the sustain is gives u that apocalyyptic booming sound and the tone gives u that crisp sound...hope it helps :D

Thats about the best advice one can give for using the LBM alone. But if you really wanna nail the sound, get a blender and dial in some clean signal with those settings. I personally use 40% clean if the house speakers are clear enough. And for grand effect, I just bypass the blender during 'Our time is ruuuning awwwwwut.......Our time is ruuuunning awwwwwut.....Can't push it underrrgrauuuund....etc' Heh.

I bought it for 120 smackeroos macrowee...at yamaha Plaza Singapura....with a 10 percent member's discount....the staff a bit blur though...they told me it was sold out...I told the how the f*** can it be sold out when im looking at 3 boxes of it right there at the display....his reply?

"Oh...yah hor...thought it was out....."

Righhhhht......

if you listen carefully you'll realise the intro, first verse, chorus, and 2nd verse are different effects. the contrast is huge when the 2nd verse goes into the intro riff

and the prechorus, which goes something like "buuurrrryyy iiiitttt" sounds pretty clean

aiyah screw my explanations, just listen to it and you can hear different amounts of fuzz on certain parts, and on parts like the chorus it sounds more like an od. i have a LBM too, but it is overwhelmed by my srx500 when the vol and bass boost knobs are turned all the way up :p

3notes what blender do you use?

But thanks for the input shinobi...like i said, I greatly appreciate whatever info you guys provide...and cool nick...reminds me of my good o'l 16-Bit Sega system with my Super Shinobi cartridge lodged into it....

woh power man you actually played the game. +1 to you

ya just listen over and over and over again can start to notice. but im quite sure that the prechorus is more or less clean.

but don't try too hard, chris wolstenholme has tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment, probably several bass techs and dedicated soundmen, and plays on multi-million dollar stage speaker PA setup and what not 8O

u can oso get from soft store, scroll all the way up below the ad banner. if im not wrong still $1 delivery :) i got mine from there

audie:

don't worry, sometimes some yamaha dudes are just plain blur ...

situationally unaware, that's what ticks me off at times. Sometimes you really really want something .. it's there .. but they said it's sold out ... annoying right?

Word Up enix....couldn't agree wit ya more...

Coz I feel they hire part-timers who are way too young....

Shinobi,

I use a custommized VFB-2 from Barge Concepts. For TIRO, i have 100% wet, any amount of blend and Bypass all at the tap of each switch.

I find the fuzz is a great effect for Time Is Running Out but I think the final sound can be smoothen out more so that the 'squeezy' sound will be clearly audible.....any ideas of any additional pedals i might add to smoothen the final sound?...

Guess not haha. Its already out of production anyway. Its an akai Deep Impact bass Synth pedal. Wonder anyone here has one...

Err...I'm not sure if hes using the Deep Impact for that. I remember reading somewhere that it was done in the studio using a keyboard synth module + a dub bass tone. Live, I really have no idea. Probably could check in the Muse forums.

But speaking of the Deep Impact, its really crazy for what its going for at Ebay, around 400 USD BIN price? Honestly I think its worth around 200 USD at most but I can't speak for the synth collectors...

hmm.. anyway, is itas good as wat pple make it out to be?in other words... why is it so critically acclaimed?

anyone tried it b4? heh..

If you have a spoilt/cheap wah or volume pedal, u can get it modded by Goosonique to get a blender. You can adjust the amount of dry and wet with the treadle.

im not a bassist but i happen to be a muse fan like u guys and read it on their offical forum.

wonder if it'll help

# what effect did chris use for hysteria?
Chris's sound is achieved by playing through 2 big muffs.
# How effect did chris use for TIRO?
from bass guitar magazine issue 18 interview with chris (kindly provided by amj)

How did you get the bass sound on that track(TIRO)?
It's a bit of a cheat really!

Your secret is safe with me..
We tried for ages to get the right bass sound. Some of the things we tried were quite ridiculous. We tried flangers, acoustic basses, dubbing with phasers, you name it, but it still wasn't happening. One day Matt was fooling around with a JP 8000 synth and started getting this portamento vibe going (mimes track intro). So we recorded that and I put down a horrendously subby bassline using the pedulla and when we put them together it made a weird, buzzy,disgusting kinda noise and that's what we used.

What do you do about that live?
I play the line over the top of a synth backing track.

i took it from

http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?t=964

[/i]

Back