The Fool Of Rock - article on how to "succeed" as a band in SG

betsybug

OK, maybe not really how to succeed, but a war story (published in Today newspaper) from the trenches. Excuse the mud.

For the sake of brevity, I extracted the "better" bits. This is the whole article.

The fool of rock
It’s a rough road to rock stardom, says our man (Christopher Toh)
Thursday • August 28, 2008

<snip>

See, I’d always dreamed of being a rock n roll star. I played in bands back in the heyday of the indie music movement in the ’90s, but the inability to sustain a living saw me working “normal” jobs to pay the bills.

The thing is, musicians have always been frowned upon, mostly because they don’t have a steady, liveable income. But when Jack Ho of rock band EIC was quoted in a newspaper as saying that he could make “$4,000 to $5,000 a month”, that made me sit up.

<snip>

According to Jack, here’s how he did it: He walked into Wala Wala one day, introduced himself and proceeded to ask for a gig. And he got one. Easy-peasy. Okay, that’s the truncated version, but you know what I mean right? And hey, if Jack can do it, so could I, right?

BANDING TOGETHER

Unfortunately, that was back in 2002. Apparently, these days, you can’t just say: “Hey, I can play guitar, give us a gig!” — and be given one. I realised that the hard way: In a year, I performed two nights in a pub, three weddings and one showcase event. More time elapsed and solo gigs were sparse, so I ended up joining a four-piece band.

I won’t bore you with the details, but suffice it to say that we rehearsed for months honing our sound, putting a portfolio and website together before we started sending out mailers to prospective pubs and clubs. And then we waited. And waited. And waited.

In 10 months, the band performed six pub gigs and played at five company-sponsored events.

<snip>

THE GIG IS GOT

That’s when I decided to cheat: I called on Danny Loong, the owner of Timbre, whom I knew, and more or less begged him for a slot.

ME: “So how? Can give us a shot or not? Isn’t Timbre seen as an avid supporter of local bands?” (nudge nudge)

DANNY: “Okay, let’s arrange for an audition set.”

<snip>

IT’S SHOWTIME

I won’t lie: I was pretty nervous about it all. Once the date was finalised, there was a burst of activity as we put in all our effort to perfect our set for the audition. It was at Timbre @ The Substation, and Danny had offered us two sets with the dinner crowd: 7.30pm and 8.30pm; basically as a warm-up act for the resident band that would come on later. Not the most enviable of positions, but it was better than nothing.

Our plan was to kick out the jams, show everybody up, wow the crowd and find Danny offering his right arm to sign us up.

Except, of course, things didn’t quite go that way.

Two seconds into the set, I fumbled through the opening notes of our first song — not good. We found ourselves throwing everything we had (not literally, but perhaps too desperately) to a crowd that seemed to be more interested in what to eat than what we were playing. If silence is golden, we were filthy rich.

<snip>

THE REVIEW (ABRIDGED)

Days later, Danny gave his critique in his usual “it’s better if I’m blunt and honest” way. I won’t go through the entire epistle (it’s too long) but the gist is printed below:

“The performance was all right. I liked the song choices. The audience, based on what I saw, was reasonably responsive ... I am guessing the repertoire of the band is more suited to an expat crowd who likes the soul-funky numbers.

Musically, the band was not bad, and although mistakes made through nervousness are common, they cannot be ignored. If the band worked on the overall sounds and dynamics, it would have been better. The repertoire is probably more suited to Timbre @ The Arts House, which caters more for a mature audience, but we will not hire the band at the moment, as there needs to be improvement in the different areas mentioned.”

In other words, nice try, but better luck next time.

<snip>

But after all the emotion died down, I got to thinking: Is this the end of the road for the band? No. Is this the end of my dream to be a musician? No. So, as Minister Wong Kan Seng once said, let’s move on.

I was reminded of a scene in the movie The Commitments, where one character tries to console the other when their band disintegrates: “The success of the band was irrelevant ... Sure, we could have been famous and made albums and stuff, but that would have been predictable. This way, it’s poetry.”

<snip>

honestly, who here really thinks you can succeed as a band in SG? I know damn well I won't be getting anywhere in singapore, nobody likes shredders here.

Ha..ha.. Chris damm funny. He IS a superstar! His former band is AWOL. One of the few local bands that rocked the National Stadium!

haha dont have to succeed being a band in singapore la.. just have fun jamming or gigging is good enough for me.. aint that what music is supposed to be about?

but i bet every band want to be succeed. as in go far............i mean it far. Coz honestly i was inspired by lots of movies and animes about how a musician/band succeed. When i watch them, i was motivated but i just do not know where to start. For example, nana, they started askign for a slot to play in a so-called pub then they got some labels watching them play............whoa i wish sg has that kind of pubs or clubs for all ages.........or is it there is some in sg which i still do not know??

kennyskiller=haha dont have to succeed being a band in singapore la.. just have fun jamming or gigging is good enough for me.. aint that what music is supposed to be about?

I agree with this. There are all sorts:

- Some people/bands need to be validated by being international/regional recording artistes before they consider themselves a success,

- Some are happy to play in public gigs (paid or unpaid),

- A number are thankful they are able to make a career playing in pubs/functions and/or teaching,

- Others are satisfied playing in a band (any band) in a jamming studio, whatever people may say of their music, and

- Some are happy enough they are able (ie. they have the necessary limbs and body functions, or they are financially able, or they have the permission of their parents/spouses/partners/neighbours/employers) to play and make music in their bedrooms.

So, in the end, as long as you are happy with what you are doing, you are a success. Too many people are so fixated by the destination, they forget to enjoy the scenery. That's why I put the word "succeed" in the Title in quote marks.

Glad you all find the story interesting! It's nice to hear all your opinions. By the way, to set the record straight, er, we never actually played the National Stadium! :p (I wish we did, but sadly, no. We did play the Indoor Stadium, tho)

Latest posts

Back