Swee Lee 'Good' after Sales Service.

Martyn

I bought a Tama Iron Cobra Double Pedals at swee Lee at $5++. From the few comments on the net, Iron Cobras will withstand a lot of abuse. With the level of me playing Speed Metal, I taught maybe this the pedal for me.

I went back home to try it on. After a few tweaking and adjusting, it is perfect. Been trying it for 1 month plus and suddenly, the aluminium thread of holding the springs give way. Without it, the pedals is useless. What the heck! I am thinking of ordering the parts at swee lee since I bought it there. I asked the sales person who attend to me when I first bought the pedals. To my surprise, he says I need to wait 3 months or more for the parts to arrived??? I try to asked him may I have some replacement from the new double pedals they are selling and I will pay extra for the parts b'cos 3 mths is quite a long duration. He says they don't do it that way. I asked him a bonus question, "What you want me to do with this pedals during the 3 months for the stupid parts to arrive? I Just bought these pedals!" He told me thats the shop policy.

I just left without saying a word. Recently, I bought a DW5002 doubles and the quality is much better that Iron cobras. No doubt the cobras have tons of adjustment, but reliability sake. It is not to my expectation. I urged swee lee to be more customer focus. I am willing to pay extra for the small parts to be replace but they still say no. I know they have a wide variety of good products but with no after sales service, you are chasing the customers away!!!:mrgreen:

1. They do not have the parts you need.
2. Their duty is to SELL the products, not serve as a middleman to cater to your needs.

In my opinion, posting such thread doesn't help yourself much. As what you've said about your pedals, its either you make a scene in the shop with him or walk away and come back 3 months later. Simple
Every sales personnel still has to follow their company policy, doesn't mean paying extra "$$" , they will get it for you straight. Besides you mentioned for some replacement from the new double pedals they are selling in stock, you think thats appropriate or them do it? i doubt so dude.

Email Tama and explain your situation. Keep the original receipt if you still have it somewhere.

this will be manufacturer's fault.you can't blame sl for this. what they do is only being the authorised dealer and sell you the product.

this will be manufacturer's fault.you can't blame sl for this. what they do is only being the authorised dealer and sell you the product.

Actually, I'm not blaming sl completely. Just imagine you bought a new item & only able to play it a few times and it can't be repaired because there is no spares for it? Now the pedals laying waste in my storeroom after I've got the DW5002. At least the sales person reply in a reasonable way that they will try to get a replacement and not telling me that the parts will arrive in 3 months or more depending on the shipment that I find it hard to swallow...:confused:

Most retailers in the US will replace/refund a defective item within 14-30 days. After that you'll have to take it up with the manufacturer themselves. Some retailers will help you with the process. From what I've read, you've had the pedal for over a month.

The point is that the warranty is issued by the manufacturer, not the retailer. If SL orders in 3-month intervals (which is reasonable, I doubt they move enough volume to order every month), it is simply not cost-effective for them to order a set of parts in just for one person.

Talk does not cook rice! The issue is with Tama, not Swee Lee. Email them and they will liase with Swee Lee if necessary. Refund & replacement policies in Singapore suck, I agree with you on that, but this is after 30 days. Take it up with the manufacturer.

Last edited:
Well, if the attitude is right i guess they "pass" perhaps some arrangement can be made? since its only a month old and its only natural that he pass the problem back to SL.

Well, if the attitude is right i guess they "pass" perhaps some arrangement can be made? since its only a month old and its only natural that he pass the problem back to SL.

Agreed. I am sure brand new items surely come with a one-to-one replacement as a form of guarantee within X amount of time frame.

I'd do the same as the Iron Cobra dude and find it hard to swallow.

Company policies are created to be followed, but when it comes to customer service...bending the rules a little wouldn't kill. Besides, 500++ for an Iron Cobra vs. a potential life long customer that's going to spend 100 times more than amount in the long run?? Go figure.

Last edited:
This is the problem with Distributors here or in this case Swee Lee. They dont dare to keep parts, not even a very popular brand like Ibanez where customers always need parts every now and than.
Usually Swee Lee will tell you 3 months and that is standard. Like me as a customer I source out myself online for my Ibanez parts and furthermore it's cheaper actually online than our local distributors.

Try to source out online 1st, if can't get it, than email the manufacturer and screw there Ass! and dont buy the brand anymore!

Another idea for your parts, you can search any local machining company, usually a small timer and ask them to machine for you the parts using the sample you have, but ask them to made it with a better type of metal rather than aluminium. Aluminium is to soft.

well i've never really bought stuff from swee lee (sorry but I still think the retail prices there are a too steep) i understand where they are coming from

if they take the parts from a brand new unit to replace yours, then who will buy that unit? i'm sure if you ran a shop you'll put that thought in your head first before concluding "oh, it's my duty to offer the customer a direct replacement"

yeah it sucks that your double pedal broke, and i understand its probably not your fault, but it's not swee lee's fault either. And you can't blame them for saying 3 months either because sometimes it is that difficult to get small replacement parts from overseas manufacturers no? And would the manufacturer really give too much of a hoot to replace your one pedal?

For me, their (Swee Lee) online is not any better. I have the emails to show. When you place an order, you'll expect brand new. Well, from one of my 2 experiences, someone will inform you through email saying it's the last piece and was put on display a few days ago and they don't have the box. To me, display unit is display unit even if it's 1 hour ago. This was for a guitar amp. The other experience was a guitar where they said was out of stock and recommended another guitar but said they misplaced the tremolo bar and asked me was it ok?
This lady April responding for their online store is just irresponsible. Swee Lee in the 80's through the 90's was very good. They used to have parts too. Now it's ........

Back