Survey for upcoming Band Competition Project by Innova JC

Regardless of age, how many would be interested to join this band competition?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Go read my suggestions to you

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

worms_eat_birds

Hi all SOFT ppl, I'm doing a little survey here. So here's the deal, the reason why Innova JC's Musicians' Club (Yes it is a CCA) has considered the possibility of this project is because too often enough we see band competitions whereby all the different genres are simply chucked into one entire genre dat we all loosely know..as rock..:S which to me, is purely unfair. Because i think practically as we know, if a band competition's main judging criteria is technique, chances are..i'm not sayin confirmed..that metal bands stand at an advantage. Or if its about vocal quality, then (even though i think metal singers are seriously darn good to b able to sing at such high pitches they sound like someone g-clamped them down under..) the pop rock bands have the edge..(provided the singer is good) So the main focus of this band competition we are coming up with, is to divide the competition into genres. That way, we have a band competition that celebrates all the different genres that come together to what we would call band music.

So, here are the questions we would like you to answer:

1. What genres should it be split into?
(Currently, we have metal, punk, pop rock, all others.)
2. What prize money would be acceptable?
(Would a 10 percent of fees collected b good? or a fixed prize money of say $1000 be too little? Because we haf a limited budget at stake..)
3. Should we restrict this to strictly sec schs, jcs and polytechnics or open it up to basically everione?
( We also consider the possibility of spliting into open n youth categories)
4. Lastly, this is important. Would it be offensive or really turn you off if we have 4 students (who have won a national songwriting competition each to be the judges?) If so, who do u suggest can be our judges? (Specific names are welcomed) People who have the credentials are also encouraged to send me a message here to express ur interest.
Notes: As a point to note for question 4, please understand that we hope to only use de judges for de preliminaries. In the actual finals, we hope to open it to the masses and have a voting system arranged.

Thank you very much for your kind attention for reading my incredibly long post. Haha..:p Any other questions can be addressed to me through this forum page too..or u can send me a message rite here. Once all de info has been collated, I'll do another posting on everione's collated views b4 eventually launching de project. Also, i shall post mi handphone no. on de next posting i do so that any other questions can be directed directly to me. Thank you very much. Do tell me if i left anything out.

Your loyal 17 year old servant,

Edwin

1) 2 genres- The radio-friendly (eg. mass appeal) ones like pop, punk, whatever else. The non-radio-friendly ones like metal, hard rock, old school rock, whatever.

2) Prize money shouldn't be that big a prob, I suppose bands go in for the recognition. $1000 is okay. A bit more wouldn't hurt of course ;)

3) Depends on what you want. It can turn out to be like another school of rock. But keep in mind the older bands have advantage (more experience mah!) so maybe split categories to judge fairly.

4) If you're gonna have it open and a band with members twice the age of your judges would definately feel offended.

my suggestion is to do a within-school competition. select the best band/musician/singer and groom them to take part in inter-school competition.

this way, you focus your budget, produce good band/musician/singer and become the JC known for its' good band/musician/singer !

hey ho let`s go!!!!!!

splitting it into 2 categories...youth/open categories would be good..
coz the youths will learn more abt music...it`ll open their perspective on different genres n there`s a lot that they can learn...etc...they could end up making frens with the `old-timers` hence learn more guitar skills/vocals skills.... :lol: :lol:
i mean..isn`t it how u want our music scene to grow??to be better??
my point is..how could the scene be better if the young n old dun mix? 8)

it`ll also pull in more crowd.... :lol:
u dun want the bands to play in front of their own frens only right??

plus u will get a wider genre as in different types of bands/musics participating...
no offence to the young ones..seriously..just my opinion...i was a kid too.... :lol:

Reply to all posts so far

hey candie..thanks for ur feedback..agree with heartrocksingapore dat was seriously constructive...haha..n would b seriously useful in our planning. (esp ur genres part) haha..n we definitely dun wan it to become another school of rock. heh..would prefer creating a brand of our own. heh..de judges part is a prob..coz we dunno where to look for ppl wid good credentials as judges.

as for soft's opinion, heh..just to let u noe..we actually alr haf a v.rich musical culture in school. Just about every single occasion there's a band up there performing in mi sch. This is because of us musicians' club which we only set up this year. It had practically zero facilities.Before we eventually budgeted for some amps and a drumset. soon enough, after some fundraising we now haf a much better quality set up. Muscians' club is essentially "lets start rocking" club..(in fact one of de school of rock vocalist is frm our sch!as well as a couple of bands actively performin in public and one or two professional musicians.)haha! n we alr haf a set no. of bands widely regarded as de best in de sch. Innova mite b new, but i believe we haf an unparalleled rock spirit in a Junior College.As for ur inter school idea, we were tinkin of using dis opportunity to start having an inter schools band comp. but not reli sure yet. dats y we're all discussing here eh ? :) thanks nonetheless for ur opinion!

haha..fatcat..how old are u? 0.0 surely older den me rite..hurhurhur..i agree wid u fatcat..which is precisely why we wan to split everitin into genres..so dat we can celebrate the diff types of music..heh..thanks for ur feedback.

hope de comments keep flying in!

yeah...cant wait for ur sch to host the competition...haha...if i got a band in time..i sure will join...oh ya..jus one thing..maybe u guys shld nt restrict the song language...maybe allow chinese rock songs...J-ROCK...even someother langauage like german to be allowed in the competitions...sure will be fun...ROCK ON GUYS!!!

Should be youth and open.
But some Jc students are better playing than youths like me (14 or 15)
So we could have a school band comeptition.
it'll be great!

I am from IJC too, and I am sure pleased to hear that we are hosting such stuff.
I second open category.

y not u guys just have a paying gig..? in this way, u can call new bands to perform, not to win, but to showcase their talent.. U see, music isn't all abt mony.. n U may also profit from this one, get the funds for ur CCA n not lose too much of ur budget.. u may hold auditions for the bands that wants to participate n then let them perform.. how does that sound..?

this is cool too man...i think whichever it is..be it the competition or a gig...it still a gd way for local bands to showcase their talent...

im already excited reading this thread...having a band competition between skools is great....and against our own genres...better :D

Reply to all

Alright guys...thanks for all the feedback. Haha..i think its clear that everyone's pretty much divided over exactly what to do. Tentatively, we're going to make it one hell of a band fiesta. :) basically taking all the ideas into mind, i guess tentatively this is what we'll be doing..

there will be a :

OPEN CATEGORY
STUDENTS CATEGORY

hoWEVER, do continue to post replies on what are the possible genres that we can breakdown to.. as my school and i begin to start proper planning on this. will get back to everyone on soft as soon as i can! thanks alot folks for the ideas..keep them rolling in!

Back