St James Power Station

newbie100

anyone being to St James power station?

dragonfly - canto pub with William Scorpion & Queen band,
they play rock canto numbers.

2 other joints with jazz swing band and a latin salsa band

not bad for band lovers

Wrong demographic.

Firstly most people here wont be able to even go in - Age limit 23 for dragonfly, 21 others. Only the upcoming power house will be 18+ and they are going for mass appeal.

I pitched original bands to their Marketing Manager already and they weren't really interested; actually I just interviewed Dennis Foo (owner of powerstation and Devil's bar) in upcoming issue (24) of Think and will post the interview here later on. I made sure to ask him some sensitive questions about the scene. The guy is my industry idol, but he's very practical about original local live music

You wouldn't happen to be working for St. James, would you?

They just recruited a new girl Anna on the team, would that be you?

Love,
Saito

by the way - Puzzle (the girl who leads the resident band in Dragonfly) is a very good singer/guitarist. They got some serious gear in there: $250,000 stage cage- Marshall JCM 2000, 7 piece drum kit - everything individually mic-ed up. If you like chinese/cantonese cover bands, you'd know they are damn tight.

The "world music bar" movida has that multi-piece cuban / salsa band that is pretty funky and I hung out at the Jazz lounge with the live outfit in Bellini.Quite cool.

by the way I was joking about you working there.

saito

nobody wants to hear unfamiliar songs when they chill out.
I not working for for anybody.
FYI, I'm a guy.
in fact i drop by St James to see canto singeress Celeste
formerly from Typhoon band. She got a great voice.

yes, I was about to say, Typhoon is probably the single best cover band in Singapore. The Crystal is not bad as well... so is Fantasy

Wah lau I was there to catch *thai accent* Tata Young *Thai accent off* but couldnt make the set too many meetings. Willy how was it?

The videos look nicer lah. Wasn't really there for her vocal prowess anyway. Nice mini skirt, I must admit... :wink:

He was quite entertaining lah... in a strange way. Not my thing but hey, he's been in da bizness for more than 20 years. Respect...

today drop by St James dragonfly club,

altogther there are 5 vocalists

sky
alex
celeste
sly sim
william scoprion

out of the 5 singers, Sly Sim has the best vocal, followed by sky and celeste.

I think indeed he is Singapore Idol runner-up, he sang a Jay Chou nummber and Bon Jovi - you give love a bad name.

william scorpion can sing with underwater at his age - 40s !!!
he stripped to his underwater towards the end of set.

fantastic show!

Back