Sport Safety

Hydrofly

I noticed there wasn't a thread, but for those who engage in high intensity activity, do read on.

Stuff to keep you safe from injury:

Warming up and stretching- Basically its like playing guitar, after you've warmed up, your playing becomes smoother, similar, your muscle movement will become smoother of sorts, prevent annoying things like cramps and such.

Observe the skies and keep an eye out for lightning, sounds simple? Well unfortunately alot of idiots think that god has decided not to fling those brilliant arcs of electricity in their direction, well, even if you want to stay and watch the damn thing, watch it from indoors, its beautiful, until it hits you.

Wear correct attire, wrong shoes, don't play, it not only affects your performance, it will increase your risk of injury, DO NOT PLAY SOCCER IN RUNNING SHOES. You risk busting an ankle.

Getting injured is not funny, what prods me into writing this shit is because I screwed up in fencing on thursday and I'm now on crutches with half the ligaments in my knee torn. Feel free to add on.

nice thread.

no shit Hydrofly. what ligaments did you tear? i tore my acl and meniscus while challenging a 50-50 during a random soccer match. just went for medical the other day, Pes C2L2. damn i was hoping for C2L9 heh.

Warming up before a game, whether it's a training, friendly or competitive match is of utmost importance. you might pull a muscle if you go all out, especially your hamstring and trust me it'll hurt like fcking hell.

Regarding footwear, it really does depend on the the surface you're playing on. I was from Fairfield Methodist Sec, and at one point of time the field was bare and sandy. One of my friends wore boots for PE cos we were allowed to play any game we wanted (naturally we fairfield guys would play soccer), he ended up spraining his ankle pretty bad. why? maybe he had a weak ankle all along, but i reckon it was the surface of pitch. sandy = less grip (couldnt find another term).

You could wear running shoes to play on a street soccer court. I've got friends in army who wear their NB shoes and they play fine. no running shoes on a field though, if someone studs you it'll hurt so much more than when you wear boots.

Another thing is check out the area you're playing at first. Uneven surfaces can cause injuries too. I've played on many bumpy fields before and it sucks pretty bad. imagine sprinting for ball/person and you hit a bump; you might trip and fall, or the impact to your knee/ankle might result in traumatised tissues/ligaments.

always condition your body and keep yourself fit. aint too much fun when you screw your body up and cant play for months after; or in my case, having my left knee give way almost time i've played soccer so far. it's pretty demoralising, but well i made the choice to only undergo operation during army so i can KENG :twisted:

Last edited:
wear shoes that are 0.5 bigger than your foot when playing street soccer.

im saying this cause i wore shoes that were just nice and both of my huge toe nails on the left and right came off.

now im toe-nail-less.

^ that gotta hurt.

i find thats its best to wear sth comfy, loose or fitting (not tight) when playing street soccer.

last time i used to go for 50-50 balls, but got an acl tear and a meniscus partially torn. (battle scars :evil: ) now i rather give up those 50-50 balls to protect myself. it was real painful lesson.

to me, i can play street soccer with running shoes, but i noticed that if i use running shoes for badminton, i tend to twist my ankle slightly. (but no injuries)

one more thing to add: hydrate yourself before, during and after your activities! don't wana get dehydrated or worse, heatstroke!

= jeepers

haha, hmm, complete tear of anterior cruciate ligament, meniscus tear, bone bruising at lateral condyles, whatever it is, it's not letting me go anywhere without crutches.

Hydrofly: damn. that's harsh man. mine's a complete tear of the acl and a half tear of the meniscus. my knee feels weird when i wake up almost every morning. fortunately i tore my ligaments with a good part of the school holiday still to go, traveling around in crutches is a bitch. i was in crutches for about a week and a half; had a slight limp when i started walking independently again but it's all good now. it so totally sucks when it rains and the ground's slippery, if you slip slightly, your knee will give way. i get that quite a bit. are you gonna undergo operation soon, btw?

shredded: we're in the same boat man. complete acl tear, partial meniscus tear.

Last edited:
next soccer hang out - everyone's welcome to scope out the injuries to my left leg .... torn muscles, cut veins in my foot (last two toes no feeling now) and scars all over the shop...

last time i used to go for 50-50 balls, but got an acl tear and a meniscus partially torn. (battle scars :evil: ) now i rather give up those 50-50 balls to protect myself. it was real painful lesson.

Same here. I used to dive in for 50-50 balls too. Until a recent incident at the cage when the guy just plowed his feet through my right shin. I couldn't walk properly for 5 days. Thankfully though, it has healed.

Haha i don't understand how you all can play SS with running shoes. Found them a tad too thick in the soles for my liking.

d'oh! you said your last two toes no feeling what, so i wanna try jumping on them repeatedly, see if it's true. HEH

haha hi5! confirm PES c2l2 right?

erm, im used to SS with runing shoes because i use them in camp after live runs?

Yup Pes C2L2, pity though, I was hoping for C2L9 instead hah! If I didn't have my injury, I'd be Pes A leh, so heng heng also. Did you do your operation in army?

I noticed there wasn't a thread, but for those who engage in high intensity activity, do read on.

Stuff to keep you safe from injury:

Warming up and stretching- Basically its like playing guitar, after you've warmed up, your playing becomes smoother, similar, your muscle movement will become smoother of sorts, prevent annoying things like cramps and such.

Observe the skies and keep an eye out for lightning, sounds simple? Well unfortunately alot of idiots think that god has decided not to fling those brilliant arcs of electricity in their direction, well, even if you want to stay and watch the damn thing, watch it from indoors, its beautiful, until it hits you.

Wear correct attire, wrong shoes, don't play, it not only affects your performance, it will increase your risk of injury, DO NOT PLAY SOCCER IN RUNNING SHOES. You risk busting an ankle.

Getting injured is not funny, what prods me into writing this shit is because I screwed up in fencing on thursday and I'm now on crutches with half the ligaments in my knee torn. Feel free to add on.

do you happen to be morgan?

Back