Sound Drive SG-10 10W amplifier

EugeneSmasher

04012008007.jpg

Sound Drive is a Korean amplifier manufacturer that makes amplifiers for guitars and basses. It is new to the market and not at all well-known. However, I'd call this a hidden gem because I've tried them at Standard Value (STANDARD VALUE) and these amplifiers are amazing.

First of all, the build quality is top-notch. Solid feeling build, feels like solid wood (when knocked), etc. This amplifier really felt tough and ready for the road, despite being a 10-watter. The SG-10 is a full solid state amplifier.

It is quite barebones, but has what a standard 10-watt amplifier should have. Treble, bass and gain knobs with a drive switch to boost the distortion, and an earphones slot so you can plug in earphones when playing late at night. The gain level is the main highlight here. From mild overdrive all the way to chugging modern metal distortion, which is quite unheard off in 10-watt "practice" amps. The distortion is best described as fat, thick and powerful. Amazing versatility.

Volume wise, this is a very loud amplifier. In a 5x5x3m room, placing the volume level at 2/10 is enough to overwhelm the entire room. For cleaner EQ settings, it is slightly softer but still, no matter what, don't go beyond the 5/10 or the police will come after you.

It actually produces very soft feedback and noise, so grounding is not too important. All in all, an excellent amplifier. However, it loses its 'noticeably loud' volume when pedals are used, because on cleans, this amplifier is significantly softer than when it has distortion engaged. However, on cleans it is still very loud, so do not push it to its maximum or you're gonna be arrested.

So I would recommend this amplifier, a bit loud for a practice amp but it means that for gigs with sound system, you might wanna take this compact amp with you.

Last edited:
Does the amplifier takes pedal well?.

I'm currently looking for a new amplifier to get good cleans and take pedals well. My choice now would be a VOX pathfinder 15R but I would like to broaden my choices.

Don't quite have judging criteria but I have no problems using pedals with this amplifier, since I only use it for clean tones and rely on my pedals for distortion.

I suspect this amplifier works better with analog pedals. I got quite a lot of feedback with my FloorPOD but I suspect its my FloorPOD at fault.

The multi fx should be able to work with any amp. If you are concern about the feedback, bring your effects to try out with the amp at SV.

Back