Sound Design

johnny_be_goode

What is sound design?

Is there any sound designer here?
Can tell me more?

What hardware and software do you need?

What is the lastest trend and equipments?

Any good web link?

I think it's more of taking a basic sound, and giving it more stuff inside it... Or, it's just sound engineering with a new blend. :D

sound design means creating sound to suit a purpose. for video/film, it could be creating a particular explosion sound to make the visual more exciting. for music, it could be creating a certain synthesized sound for maybe a lead instrument or pad.

the tool/software will depends on what you are doing, is it music or efx.

say for example, i want to create a alert tone for the latest mobile phone. as the sound designer, you would have to figure out what would appeal to the user and create the sound accordingly.

if I want to create a explosion? how do I get about doing it.
At the momnet there are samples everywhere...

but i think it will get great if i could create an exposion from scratch.
any software that you can recommend? something that i can start looking into...

thanks.

theres this sound designer locally, Darren Ng his name and goes by the handle of sonicbrat. Can try to google bout him, there shud be couple of sites with his info, sound/music etc..

hmm... let's imagine how an explosion sound can be create. imagination is very important.

we could start by recording a snare drum drop from table height. different hiting angle will give different results. the sound still kinda thin? let's duplicate the sound and pitch it an octave lower, and cut all high frequence away. combine the 2 sound and add some reverb. getting closer? but still lacking the noise that comes with an explosion? let's record some rubbing sound from plastic bag. this adds the noise part. put this noise after the initial attack to simulate how the explosion travel.

well, to cut the long story short, experiment.

things you need

1. multi track software (Sony Vegas)
2. sound editing software (Sony Sound Forge)
3. microphone
4. FM or analog synthesizer to do basic sound synthesis.

yea theres actually various methods to sound design you can do by software or hardware. HOWEVER software is more comprehensive and you can do more with it.

i will speak on my hardware the NORD LEAD 3 (not planning to sell anymore :p) by selecting a preset sound i can alter the shape of the preset sound to transform it to another sound however carrying the same element of the preset sound. basically what i mean is if your preset sound is a bass it will remain a bass no matter how you alter it, the sound will still be a bass kinda sound. maybe i am wrong but this is what i had encounter so far.

bascially sound design is to get something which you want and YET ORIGINAL from a preset sound. you can alter the wave form (sin cosine triangle etc etc) select the frequency define the pitch and so on and so forth. with software becoming more and more better its not hard actually to start on basic sound design.

and sound design DONT mean sound effects only. it can be anything you can design ur piano sound ur violin sound etc! just to suit the kind of sound that you will prefer.

: )

i am not really sure but my guess is sound engineering is whereby you learn to record sounds, wheras sound design is to edit a sound.

Sound Engineering:

This topic refers to leaning basics of recording/mixing sound and it's physics like compression..effecting and so on..This is a bit later part of audio...

Sound Design:

This is pure creation of sound suited to the requirement..some thing like creation of new wave forms and new type of noise (we can call like this)..which may be sweet or horrible or terrifying to hear....

For creating Sound or designing sound, one needs a lot of imagination..That's what all sample CD companies do and make money from you... :D

If you take guys like Stephen Kay (Designer of Sound Synthesis for Korg Karma and Oasys)....they all design sound or make new forms of audio waves to the end user's requirement or satisfaction....

Probably paid high in the music industry for this job...in US... 8O

no man no!

i am not going to be eating peanuts i will do something great and they will pay me a moutain.

someday soon . lols :)

someday but not in Singapore...

you gotta reach out overseas !!!

Music in Singapore is Charlie Brown and the Peanuts gang...

kentheman2000 said:
I'm planning on taking an elective module in sound design next sem. NTU students here, join me!
what module is this? can non-NTU student take up the course?

nowadays, there are a lot of courses in music and pro-audio !!!

my time - only engr *sigh*

zenguan88 said:
no man no!

i am not going to be eating peanuts i will do something great and they will pay me a moutain.

someday soon . lols :)

When that day come...will you still come back to this forum ? :eek:

Obviously ask any musician in local..whether they are paid properly ? Most of the money is eaten away by real monkeys who are event management guys who dont know how to perform music but..do the agent business....

Sorry to say this...personal view... :(

Back