Sony Vegas users please come in

soft

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there

I have been using Vegas for my video editing and have found out that this software started as a audio multi-tracker! The audio capabilites are really great for my video editing work. Anyone else using this superb software?

:lol: I am a video editor and used to Vegas since last 4 years..Yes ! Initially it started as Multi Track Audio SF.

It's pretty user friendly and easy. The only problem is unless like other competitor softwares in the market..this depends too much on the CPU power. You never know when it will crash your pc..

Moreover Sonic Foundry did a good support when they had it in their hands. Becoz of too much of pirated stuff they lost millions and sold the company to Sony..

As you know Sony may be big media company..But how best they are gonna support you..for the stuff they take over from Sonic Foundry?

Big Question?

Hi joel68

I am thinking of getting a better soundcard than the SBLive which I am using. Do you have any recommendations? What is good to work with Vegas? Something with at least 2-ins and 8-outs.

James

:D Ok Bud!

When you are thinking of budget..you can buy M-audio Revolution 7.1..I can sense your requirement..You wanna do DVD mixing ..right? This card retails less than $200..Buy at Hung Bros, Lvl3, Sim Lim Sq..Cheaper than Sinamex... :idea:

To record vocals through this card you may have to use a mixer with phantom power..Else the card is far better than Creative stuff.

If you have 8 outs you cant do a real DVD mix...8 outs does not make sense. you need to have a digital out for a DVD mix..

Or you want 8 outs...try for terratec cards, or M-audio Delta 1010LT..

Should cost you around $500..

>> When you are thinking of budget..you can buy M-audio Revolution 7.1..I can sense your requirement..You wanna do DVD mixing ..right? This card retails less than $200..Buy at Hung Bros, Lvl3, Sim Lim Sq..Cheaper than Sinamex...

I thought James knows Simon of Sinamex.

Talk to Simon 1st, he may be able to match or better prices offered elsewhere.

Actually, I want to do multitrack recording. I have a Yamaha o1V to power my condenser but would like to be able to do simple music demo/multitrack stuff.

MOTU 828MKII
Echo GINA/LAYLA
M-Audio Delta

Any experience with the above cards?

Actually, just took a look at the M-audio Revolution 7.1 card. Do you think it will work for multitracking?

>> MOTU 828MKII
>> Echo GINA/LAYLA
>> M-Audio Delta

Just got hold of the 828 Mk II
Not bad for the price.

Supplied drivers caused crackles and dropouts
D/L latest drivers. Seems okay so far.

Can also act as standalone 8in/out mixer.

But seriously, any thing that you mentioned should be okay.

A little pissed with M-audio though. The Midisport 8/8 midi interface cannot work with Windoze XP without a hardware upgrade. Still waiting for the eproms to arrive from America. Been a month plus since I brought up the issue with them.

>> Actually, just took a look at the M-audio Revolution 7.1 card. Do you think it will work for multitracking?

If you are on a budget it should be okay but looking the rest of the stuff you brought up for discussion, it's obvious that your budget is about $1,500 to 1,600.

The M-audio Revolution does not have digital in so it kinda of defeats the purpose of a digital mixer.

I could use my SB's SPDIF for input and the M-audio Revolution 7.1 for output! Wow, if it works that way, I could save a bomb!!!

>> could use my SB's SPDIF for input and the M-audio Revolution 7.1 for output! Wow, if it works that way, I could save a bomb!!!

If I recall, the SB works best at 48khz (it's native clock rate).
So it recording all your stuff at 48khz is not an issue, then go ahead.

On the other hand, if you are already happy with the SB, why the need to spend on the M-audio?

I kinda like to have more outputs from my computer. I can then send the output back to my mixer and do different mix for monitoring and to the headphone over at the iso.

Here is what I am thinking;

Mic into the 01V Channel 1
Send to Stereo/Master (cause digital out is only via Stereo/Master)
Into SB digital
Vegas
M-audio Revolution out
Into Mixer Channel 8-14
Assign Channel 8-14 to Bus1 and Bus2
Assign Bus1 and Bus2 to Monitor (Output to KRK V8 for control room)
Channel 8-12 Aux assign to Omni Out 1 and 2 (to Headphone Amp in sound booth)

Need to check up on the 48 kHz though, I think the 01V is 44.1 kHz. Don't know if can adjust without any additional I/O board.

Any commets greatly appreciated! :wink:

lowjk said:
>> could use my SB's SPDIF for input and the M-audio Revolution 7.1 for output! Wow, if it works that way, I could save a bomb!!!

If I recall, the SB works best at 48khz (it's native clock rate).
So it recording all your stuff at 48khz is not an issue, then go ahead.

On the other hand, if you are already happy with the SB, why the need to spend on the M-audio?

Ok James !

I am a IT professional who develop drivers for Sound cards!! and My experience with these soud cards..

Echo ---> Latency problems...No proper support..There's a dealer in Katong Mall.Bought a set of Echo Layla and returned in 3 days due to Latency problems...

Motu---> Speaks well with MAC..Not suitable for PC..I owned a 2408 and kicked it off to get in to Pro tools. Firewire and USB stuff have more latency compared to PCI cards..

M-Audio---> Owned a Delta Omni Studio and 44..Great Support from the company.If you email them will get reply in detail within 48 hrs. Mostly the drivers are up to date on their website. Great pricing and support. I recommend this to my friends.

Creative---> Suitable for Gamers only..Non Professional..

Any more clarifications ?? :D

joel68 said:
Ok James !

I am a IT professional who develop drivers for Sound cards!! and My experience with these soud cards..

Echo ---> Latency problems...No proper support..There's a dealer in Katong Mall.Bought a set of Echo Layla and returned in 3 days due to Latency problems...

Motu---> Speaks well with MAC..Not suitable for PC..I owned a 2408 and kicked it off to get in to Pro tools. Firewire and USB stuff have more latency compared to PCI cards..

M-Audio---> Owned a Delta Omni Studio and 44..Great Support from the company.If you email them will get reply in detail within 48 hrs. Mostly the drivers are up to date on their website. Great pricing and support. I recommend this to my friends.

Creative---> Suitable for Gamers only..Non Professional..

Any more clarifications ?? :D

Different strokes for different folks
Echo Gina -> no problem in the past.

Motu 828 Mk ii -> latest toy. Works well with Sharp PC notebook. No latency issue with firewire. Original drivers and bloated install on the notebook caused intermittent crackles. Removed unwanted programs + using latest drivers cured it.

M-audio -> makes great soundcard but never owned a M-audio soundcard. Has Midisport 8x8 (1st generation) which CANNOT be detected by Windows XP without a firmware upgrade. Yet this fact is not publicised on their website. Had to search the net for an answer.

Still waiting for the firmware to arrive 1 month+ after contacting them.

SB -> it depends. If it's the only card you're using, I don't see any issue with that. But if you have equipment that runs at other clock rates or perfer to record at 44.1khz then, the fixed clock rate of the SB will be a headache.

Ok!!

Let's stop on debating...Which ever sound card suits to your budget or looks or satisfaction...you may proceed to buy. All opinions given here are purely individual and pls take the appropriate one which suits your condition...

James !! It's up to you to decide now.... :)

Update:

Just received my M-audio Eproms yesterday. DIY installation. Now my Midisport 8x8 lives in Windows XP.

Good service there from M-aduio. No charge at all for chips and delivery.

Lowjk,

Now you understand the support of M-audio??

I am experienced with them few times..Pretty impressive.

You try MOTU...You will go mad..Even you call them in USA also they will ask you to buy the manuals, cdz... :evil:

joel68 said:
Lowjk,

Now you understand the support of M-audio??

I am experienced with them few times..Pretty impressive.

You try MOTU...You will go mad..Even you call them in USA also they will ask you to buy the manuals, cdz... :evil:

Noted. But unfortunately, M-audio doesn't make a 8in/8out Firewire audio interface at this moment. Therefore, bought the 828Mkii due to limited choices.

PS - for all those out there, the Steinberg dealer in SIngapore is selling the Presonus Firestation for ~$1.2 to 1.3 K. They refused to match the American price (~$850). So I sprang for the Mk828ii. For a couple hundreds more, I get 20 audio in with 24/96 as opposed to 8 audio in with 24/48.

Lowjk,

Echo will be coming out with their firewire products (for all the Echo24 line). Don't know when it will be out. Apparently, they will also work on the AMD64 platform. That will be something to look out for. Echo has given me nothing but the best performance for many years - very low latency and very stable. You've probably experienced this too.

Do you think firewire is the way to go? I always had the impression that with a PCI card, the CPU will be taxed less. What are your thoughts?

Cheez said:
Lowjk,

Echo will be coming out with their firewire products (for all the Echo24 line). Don't know when it will be out. Apparently, they will also work on the AMD64 platform. That will be something to look out for. Echo has given me nothing but the best performance for many years - very low latency and very stable. You've probably experienced this too.

Do you think firewire is the way to go? I always had the impression that with a PCI card, the CPU will be taxed less. What are your thoughts?

Firewire seems the best bet for a LAPTOP at this moment.
M-audio + Echo's interfaces announced at the Namm 2004 are not released yet.
The only one out with a USB 2.0 audio interface 8in/8out is Roland but I did not see it at Swee Lee.

Back