some stuff on Singing

gjkung

hello everybody, here's just some of my 2cents on vox stuff, I need your help too.

I'd assume that most of you guys already know the basics of singing, that's things like diaphragmatic breathing, posture etc..

I sing in a choir, and my conductor told me that breath is the power in your voice. it's like fingers are to guitars, and not breathing enough is like having less fingers(WTH?!?!). But anyway, a common problem is breathing. Many think that singing should sound natural and casual. That is not wrong, but what's behind the music is very important. It's a fatal situation for your voice if you think discipline is not important.

Firstly, plan your breathing, no one will back you up if your music ends halfway. Singing a breathless note is sometimes even worst than not singing at all. Seldom do you find songs which are impossible to sing, but do know your limits. If you're performing for entertainment then don't push yourself cuz you'd probably sound tensed in your throat or go flat as you run out of breath. Plan your breathing, snatch breaths inbetween verses and make sure your breath is as deep as your 5am yawn. When you sing out, it's either a 100% breath or shut up, don't try to stretch and do a 50% throughout cuz it's just gay. :lol:

A good test of proper, relaxed breathing is just inhaling deeply. If you can hear your own breathing like you're sucking on a tube, then your throat is too tense. For males especially, you can open this part of your throat up by strangling yourself :?: : Just sligthly, put your fingers on the upper throat area and push in gently till you feel like you're vomitting. Don't over do it.

During empty parts of the song, don't die out. It's like running a marathon, once you stop your start feeling the fatigue and your next note won't be well supported. If you're not singing, follow the music, breathe along to the rhythm and don't slouch from your posture. prepare for the next note. If you're using a mic, please do not move away from the mic. I always see [singers-guitarists] pulling their heads from the mic as the verse ends so they can get to their fretting job. This causes a fade-out kinda sound, way too half-hearted. You'd look insecure, which you probably are cuz you wanna get off the attention of the audience.

:!: VOCAL RANGE: I think it's quite obvious that someone's vocal range is fixed unless you stretch it. So if you can hit a note, you can. If you can do it for 1 second you can for the other. All that matters is the breath, like for guitarist, you need to stretch your finger to hit the last fret. When there's a high note coming up, or a really extreme chorus, take a deep breath. Don't be caught off-guard, cuz with proper breathing you can hit any note within your range and freaking out won't help. Secondly, don't worsen the situation by exaggerating the amount of strain in your body(some do it to look cool?). Sing high, think low. Sing hot, think cool. Or else you'd crack or go sharp/fat or completely blow your own line. Anchor yourself to the music and remember that the music still continues AFTER you hit that note, you should still have breath for the next line unless it's a break.

I'd stop now, you guys are probably tired. I'm just too long-winded. :twisted:

Anyway, those are stuff taught to me by my amazing conductor (Ms Jennifer Tham, conductor of the SYF :supz: ). Some of the input is my own though.

Hope you guys find it useful, so please ask for correct me if you are unsure or anything...

sycododo: River Valley high school

gordonzz: thanks, are you gay? cuz I am too. :lol: !

thanks ppl, share you tips with me too. :D

wadi5636: yeah, just don't cry cuz your last song sucks. :p

sometimes it's hard to even feel the words when you didn't write the songs and it's about love you haven't experienced yet, which is crazy. Pick a right song to "feel".

sycododo: I'd be interested to find out which school you're in. btw, you a girly or a guy? :lol: I'm guangjun from RV chorale, ask ms tham for the tenor 1 SL.

Most of us under ms tham can proudly call ourselves vocalists, cuz she's such an amazing conductor and trainer.

(p.s don't praise me so much, I'm quick to get proud if I get too much of it :lol: )

Back