SOFT Online Keyboardists Meeting/Lessons

Cheez

There are a lot of different questions on how to play keyboard/techniques etc. But seeing the hands/fingers in action speaks a thousand words. Problem is that it's not easy to meet up, esp since lugging along a keyboard is no easy task.

I would like to generate a discussion on the possibility of an online solution. Can we all hook up to video and audio so we can share ideas, do master classes etc?

There are various solutions. Easiest one I know is Skype. There are other "online jamming" solutions which require one to pay.

The other question is whether we would like to stream audio or midi. I'm not sure of how to do midi streaming except via those paid solutions. With audio, sound quality can be an issue. Also, when we have a videoconference of too many people, we may go into traffic problems.

Just want to find out what everybody thinks and whether it's something we will like to try out.

how bout we meet up in smaller groups (2-3) at people's house or something where there's at least a piano?

Online may have some restrictions too and i think it's more troublesome.

Hi James, thanks for the link. Unfortunately ustream seems to be blocked in some countries (as you know, I'm not currently in Singapore now :)). I need to tunnel via VPN, which significantly slows down the speed. Any other similar alternatives to ustream? I'm also thinking about people like pianomankris who's in the UK.

Redruby, from experience, it's hard to get keyboardists together in a physical place. Many are busy working people. I'm assuming that going online is less of a trouble than travelling somewhere.

I don't mind traveling around. But I don't play a lot nowaday as I do a lot of music arrangement stuff. At the moment Skype is the best, I think. At meantime, we can list up topic so that different people can contribute different stuff.Or we build SOFT keyboard theory and practical grade 1-10,Dip,Bach,Master,Hon,PH.D and endose by MOE:mrgreen:

Sounds like a great idea, Cheez ;)

My Scottish accent may be an issue though lol.

Over the next few weeks i'm going into the studio to record some Czerny (aargh! lol), so can't make it for a little while, but it would be good if we could sort something out.

PS i'll post the Czerny once it's done if anyone is interested in hearing it.

PPS next time i'll be in Singapore will be the festive season.

Czerny.... ahh, those were the days. Planning to record Hannon as well? Sure will help many students...

I'm expecting bandwidth problems if more than 6 people are hooked up via videoconference. Perhaps we can have something like a masterclass, except that we have a more than one person giving it. We can have about 3 people giving suggestions and share techniques while 2-3 people are online just to ask questions. Then record it and put it up as a podcast. I find masterclass-type of session more useful than the usual one-person-talking-all-the-time. When people ask questions, it gets less didactic and more interactive. If we choose the right people, the questions asked will be what many others would like to ask as well.

or... you could all come to my room LiveMusicCafe on Camfrog. Audio/Video. All Live players in there.. www.camfrog.com capacity up till 50 users in one single room. cheers

just a suggestion.. only one problem is not possible to do simultaneous audio. if they do it many problems will arise hah..

Last edited:
Haha I am still considered a beginner .....and I will like to meet all of you,the pros out there~ :) It is a good idea to meet up~

Back