Soft Drum Xchange :: House Rules - PLEASE READ!

plainsman

Soft DXS - House Rules

The following Soft DXS House Rules apply and are valid as of March 2008 (contributors' nick are in brackets)

1. Do prepare your questions beforehand, and if possible, try to do some research on the internet first. A good question deserves a good answer! (alfe)

2. Do take care of your personal belongings (wallets, ipods, bags) no softie has yet to lose something at the Xchange, let's keep this thing going! (alfe)

3. Free Play: do limit your playing time on the drumset to 5 minutes. If you really want to share something at the Xchange, please speak to the committee beforehand and they will allocate you a longer time. Subject to availability. (phlemingo)

4. Open feedback is encouraged amongst DXS participants. Please do try to be constructive as much as possible, ie. not a comment like "oh your playing sucks because you play like a n00b" (alvyn)

5. For the ones receiving the criticism, receive it well and not harbour any ill intention towards the ones criticising you. Nobody's perfect, so to improve we have to face up to our imperfections. (alvyn)

6. All DXS participants are encouraged to join in to set up, dismantle, tidying up, keep everything properly and also assist in disposal of trash (empty water bottles etc.) Black trash bags will be provided. (marcdadrummer)

7. We should take care of the venue, its belongings and each others stuff. Please handle each others' drum equipment as we would our own. (eric & alfe)

8. We should refrain from "testing" stuff brought by guest performers unless they explicitly welcome us to do so. "testing" would include hitting cymbals even with our fingers, hitting the drums, handling their sticks/mallets/etc.

Of course, we can offer our assistance in setting up and packing up, and if they accept, we should not take it as an invitation to "try" the equipment. (snowflier)

9. We should welcome newcomers and try to answer their questions as much as possible. Also we should conduct ourselves properly at DXS, whether we're inside the venue or the vincinity. (xenogenesis)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi!

In addition to an allocated time for free play on the drumsets, how about a friendly reminder/cap on how long you can play? I know some people played for a really long time, yeah.

is its possible for outsiders (those who are not from soft) join in the exchange? and if so how do u differentshade between a softie and a non member? as the number of persons joining soft are rising. a topic to ponder about.

Chaserr, everyone is welcome to join the xchange! The idea is to get more people to make music.

I've never been to any SOFT drum exchanges, hoping to make it this time around, but I think one point you probably missed out was the fact that everybody should go for this exchange with an open mind - ready for critique no matter how good one is.

for the ones giving the criticism, it has to be constructive and not something destructive like "oh your playing sucks because you play like a n00b".

for the ones receiving the criticism, receive it well and not harbour any ill intention towards the ones criticising you. nobody's perfect, so to improve we have to face up to our imperfections.

hope this helps and i hope i can make it down this time AHHHHHHHHHHH.

when i came in, i noticed there's lots of people near the door standing where there are free seats available at the front.

so it'd be great if someone could like usher in these people, make themselves at home and comfy so that they'd can relex and enjoy in the fun...

also, for the newer members, it'll be great if the moderator to like pause for abit and introduce the new members... there we're a handful of new members but they didn't introduced themselves... alfe did that too on the previous previous meetup..

also the black bag to throw trash would be great.

my $0.02..

cheers everyone and see y'all sooon. :D

heh... good ideas coming hard and fast... keep 'em coming!!!

chaserr,
yes SOFT is right.. ALL are welcome!! although we always refer to the xchange attendees as softies, you already registered as a softie in order to post this in first place, so no problem at all...pls bring ur friends too esp if they like drums... :D

alvyn,
yeahhh .. i missed out a lot of stuff, am sure this brainstorm should bring out most of it.. it be good if feedback comes from all sides..

the advice of the open-mindedness is really good. i am of the same mindset. will take note and put that in the briefing so softies hear about it at the start. if you got more ideas, just write as and when man. (and yes, PLEASE COME!!)

marc,
black trash bag is good. will check if anyone has regular supply and just bring 2 should be more than enough. else, alternative is to remind everyone not to colllect rubbish... after drink finish go outside throw etc.

phlemingo,
right on. more importantly, i think all xchange attendees develop a 'considerate' mindset eventually. that way, they understand how and why and not just follow the house rules (and become passive aggressive... lol!)

keep 'em coming!!!!

I think it will help initially for a start - if Drummers who want to say do Drum Battle - (to arrange yourself in groups of 2 as agreed by you and a partner - both along the same drumming level) for the start. This makes yourself and your partner feel more comfortable (so does everyone) - - - - Of course this is not a must and that anyone can actually drum-battle anyone in a duet.

Jus my 2cent - I mean I will feel very awkward, if I were to pit myself on a duet with Afle, Mark, or those that are so much more advance in drumming than myself....

Just a suggestion - this might be good for a start for all of us (the newer ones to build confidence level on this area)

PS:- So, who wanna partner me ?

Oh and yes - - - Is Alfe our Moderator? ...Kekeke .... NO .. I'm the Moderator. Alfe???? Hm.mmm let me think should be call a : Facilitator or Advicer at the Drum Xchange besides being (he Vice-Chairman of DXS of course)...Kekekeke Hor? Moderatror is Bro rla term.

Last edited:
bigger white board, yess.... and BLACK markers too

one thing i'm surprised softies drummers missed out, is that we should take care of the place, its belongings and each others stuff as well.

we should treat each others stuff like our own, and handle it with care, e.g. bros and sis snare drums, cymbals and such.

warm regards

Good Point - Alfe.

Yes we must take good care of all the stuffs at the Xchange eg Drums, snare, cymbals, Pedals etc (as if it's our own - especially when all these stuffs doesn't belongs to us - and it was brought there out of good faith by a fellow drumming Brother/Sis) ... We have to be accountable & initiate some responsiblilty here - for the good of everyone at DXS.

Also, whenever a meetup/Xchange ended - everyone must help to put back all the things at the Venue in order eg (Chairs, whatever ). This is very very important cause if we don't - DXS Members will be deemed as irresponsible by all these Venue Owners (especially when we are going to have more than 2 maybe even 3 Venue soon by next year 2008 hopefully) - and WE WILL LOOSE ALL THESE VENUE (and any Venue) if we don't take care of other people's property. If we dirty their place - (just as in this Forum) - they have the right to tell us - Don't come here any more .. DXS.

PS: I know most of you do take care of the venue and help to upkeep it in order before we leave for home on every meetup. Committed DXS Members will definetely upkeep DXS Image, as they know - this is OUR Home (The Physical Meetup Venue & Soft Forum). - In every xchange, needless to say, there will be some Fly-By-Night Members or New DXS Members (some even Non-Members, Non-Drummers walk in) - - - we cannot rule out the possibility that some (don't even bother or care) Because the current Xchange allows anyone to walk-in (This is true) - - So - Let's all here, help one another, remind each other, help to keep a watch to upkeep and ensure everything is in order at the Xchange especially (just like you have all did at this forum - Soft) - - DXS Image is largely pre-determined by it's members - That's All Of Us Here - let us all just do our little part ... ok. We need the whole team here to work together....Bros/Sis..

PS Thanks

i dont know whether this is the place to post it but i was thinking it would be better if we got a few groups going? i know we're all still one big family but maybe by genre and headed by a senior so that informal or formal lessons can be carried out? it would be a win win situations for the senior and the junior who aspire in the same sorta genre. i know the idea of being good drummer is to be versatile but at the same time drumming what you love most should be a factor to consider as well? ;)

Hi Bro Conan

Thanks for your contribution. Yes we will look into that too.

I believe we all realise now that the Xchange is growing at such a faster-pace - our 5 hours at Ulu Pandan is really "Too-Little-Time" with "Too-Much We Wanna Do".........planning gets really tough on Alfe and we are trying to Schedule the 5 hours more productively as we learn.

That's partly also the reasons as to why we are looking at other Venue at the Central to be held once a month comes 2008. So with Ulu Pandan - We will have 2 Meetup. I hope this will not dilute concentration of Drummers attending the 2 Meetup. This is also the Core Reason why we want our OWN HOME, so that we can better manage our own time with less restriction in a way.

PS:- This month 15th Dec, 9th Drum Xchange - there will be a Progressive-Rock-Band comming-up to our Xchange to scout for a drummer for their Band (this is not the 1st-time)...It's good and DXS has also serve it's purpose here by letting our DXS Members/Drummers to have the opportunity to improve and gain better experience in real life situation playing with a Band(if they currently do not have one and if selected).. The New Venue next year at Central - will also serve this function in a small way as well, because DXS will ost likely be held at the 2nd half of the day - with the 1st half of the days cater to Bands.(we will Guitarists, Bassists, KeyBoardists, Singers etc etc there) - A Musician Meetup sort of thing once a month.

DXS Committee will have a meeting very soon on what’s install for DXS 2008 and the fine-tunning aspect of it.

(Internal DXS Program)
Ulu Pandan Venue – might be used for Sharing Drumming with Alfe facilitating this in a more Formal Way Internally among DXS Members eg like a Simple MasterClass sort of thing – as conducted by Alfe which was was good)

(External DXS Program) – REACHING OUT !
and m,ost likely - we might move (Drum Challenge Program to the Central Area/Location - as we all realise that many of DXS Drummers love this kind of Informal & Fun Way Of Drumming Together – It’s also a Fine Way Of Having Fun and at the same time Reaching Out To Anyone Not At Soft By Inspiration Through Drum Challenge By DXS Members - To The Pulbic) - -

One thing for sure is that - Now that Identity and Members of DXS are in place (a step by step approached). We hope that DXS will be able to reach-out to the General Public cause many drummers/non drummers might not have even heard of DXS and the Closely Knitted Drumming Community we are having here. Development on this Reaching-Out Programs will be based on DXS Alliances with many others in the Singapore ( we DXS will be opened here). Eg. Youth Park, CC, Music Companies, Botanical Gardens N’Park … - just an example here.

One thing to Please Take Note here is : -

All share-programs among drummers at DXS (should not be term as Drum-Lessons) because it is not – it’s just plainly sharing among DXS Members/Drummers. - because DXS is really not a Drumming School and should not be projected as misleadingly conceived as one (because we have Many Drumming Schools & Drumming Instructor here doing that Professionally) - but instead, DXS is a Social Meeting Place for Drummers to share the drumming hobby/passion among themselves, have fun and most of all - Build Stronger Bond/Relationship & Support Each Other As Drummers in Singapore as in one Big-Family of Drummers.

Having a Few Groups going Altogether is good based on different genre headed by different drumming senior...BUT we will have to consider this very carefully (we are not opting this out here for sure) – just that we need to plan how to manage this area well - because past experience tells us that if this area is not managed in a proper manner - Division Among Drummers Can Occur (it will backfire)....so careful consideration is needed in it's planning (and we need time)..

Bro Conan - I totally agree with you that - almost every drummer have their prefer genre or Types of Music they love most (me too and so does everyone here) and they usually stick to that ..... and Professional Drummers have to learn to be able to drum/play all genre of Music (to be a Versatile Drummer) ..... which is really good and we should learn as it enable any drummer (no matter what kind of Genre he/she is playing currently) to do even better at this Genre as he/she will have adopted more ideas (from the different genre) and enabling more creativeness into within his own Genre of Music...

Cheers -

Last edited:
i think CC is a sis ryte?
if i'm not wrong...
but usuallie i'm wrong...

wah, Progressive-Rock-Band coming to scout for a drummer
too bad i'm not going to be around...

anyway, how are they gonna scout if the theme is jazz?
and also the schedule also seems tight for the attendees to show their stuffs

??

haha DT, nah im a bro. and if im not mistaken this is the second time you pointed that out. hahah. so no, im sorry to dissapoint you :p haha DT prog drummer?

haha.. sory bro..
i got gender mix up issues i guess.. hahahha

prog drummer?
prog drummer wanna be i guess..
i cant even play the drum beats properly..... how to play progressive stuffs...
more like mistakes stuffs
hahaha

Bro Alfe

This thread came in very Handy as DXS is required to have it's Houes Rules and Policy Matters drawn up, once we move into our NEW Home. Well, it's every DXS Members Home now soon, of course we are all Genuinely interested to keep our home Safe & Clean naturally.

DXS Members - - please continue to help us here by your value-contributing pertaining to this Thread...

Cheers ! and Keep it comming.

i think other than taking care with the CC's equipment and furniture, and the DXS' Mapex kit and equipment brought by softies, we should refrain from "testing" stuff brought by guest performers unless they explicitly welcome us to do so. "testing" would include hitting cymbals even with our fingers, hitting the drums, handling their sticks/mallets/etc.

of course, we can offer our assistance in setting up and packing up, and if they accept, we should not take it as an invitation to "try" the equipment.

note: this is an observation on my part, i've not spoken to or heard anything from anyone about this. i'm just bringing it up in case, 1 day, we do get a guest performer who's more particular with his/her stuff.

in any case, even with equipment brought by fellow softies for the rest to play, we should not assume that they are entirely comfortable with it. afterall, most of us pay for our babies with our own money, who would be 100% comfortable watching them get touched, much less hit by someone else? so hopefully, nobody takes it personally if they are not given permission to try someone else's stuff. we should respect the owner's wishes.

Snow, so true it is. We cannot assume - It's Ok if I hit it or touch it....It's all about A Sign Of Respect to our fellow Drummers/Bros/Sis - and it is this that makes DXS a beautiful place maintaining Harmony in any way we could...

Thanks Snow - - great contribution

well now that we have moved to a new home, its time to work on many other stuffs...

1) giving directions to softies for DXS™ HQ at Jurong Green CC

i myself got lost while getting there (or its just that i'm stupid for not following erics instructions..haha)

its actually quite easy to get there, i'll volunteer to wait at the mrt station and bring peeps there as a group if people are not familiar with the way (but please be early. haha )

2) i think after the exposure thats been given to us during the performance, there are sure to be newpeople joining us, be it drummers, musicians or non- drummers who knew nothing about drums but are interested..please be nice to them and answer their questions politely (even if they ask too much )

3) this is not a dating community so please do not specifically aim some female drummers for numbers ( the thought struck me while i was in the cab talking with eric and alfe...) not that i was one of those people..i was just curious bout her age!

4)please conduct yourselves properly when you're within the CC or outside wearing the DXS™ uniform ...we are not hooligans and so far have seen none ^^ yeah ...not aiming anyone so if i've offended anyone, deepest apologies ...

thats all for me, my 2 cents...haha =x

Last edited:
Back