Singaporean Political Musicians

JoelFong

Hi anyone know of any local bands that write music about politics? Do we have our own version of Rage Against the Machine, or System of a Down.

I don't think PAP is tolerant of such band and music. Singapore is a democratic country with a North Korea mentality.

You can get Jack Neo to sing about GST and ERP, but that's about as far as PAP will allow before making you disappear without reason for years.

to be fair, no one can stop music fellas from singing about political views, just like no police can stop crimes from happening.

if music fellas really think the politics in singaland really so free to clamp down on them, thats prolly self induced mind phucking sodomization on oneself creativity.

anyone and everyone can do anything, but will have to be responsible for their own action.

anyway, there used to be a local band in late 90s, early y2k era which i came across that did stuff similar to ratm instrumental arrangement called one man down. Not sure if they are still around. The bassist used to work at sweelee iirc

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha Thanks everyone for your contributions and answers to this thread.

@PatheinRaindropMoe: Thanks for that man, i'll try to check out on it!

@theliverevolution: which are the "political musicians" u have heard of?

I'm asking cuz i'm writing a paper in school about Human Rights. So I thought asking about political music would do. But I guess human rights are a somewhat separate issue - though with strong links to politics.

So to broaden the scope of this thread. Anyone knows about musicians who write on human rights issues? Poverty, free speech etc. Esp if these musicians who write somewhat as activists. It doesn't have to be altogether political. Could be like MJ's Earth Song. Tt kinda thing. THANKS! :D

I dunno, in my eyes, most bands who have political 'revolutionary' messages are in the genre of death metal or whatever metal... and what the government just do (or has done) is to clamp down on the genre itself.. last i heard, metal music isn't allowed on any outdoor gigs....i think it's some new ruling..

Music with political "revolutionary" messages runs counter to PAP's mission of suppressing political opponents, silencing public criticisms and creating an obedient society towards the government. Therefore is a no no.

@theliverevolution: which are the "political musicians" u have heard of?

I'm afraid this is where I'll be drawing short straws; I can't remember who they are! Sorry! I heard them a long time ago, and their lyrics didn't appeal to me so I never bothered about them till you asked! Sorry~! :X

Truth Be Known - local political song, awesome band just finish their Taiwan tour and now preping for Malaysia tour.

they got songs like Men in White, Life Kills You (LKY) etc..etc..etc..

good friend of mine and awesome folks! \m/

@theliverevolution: no worries man bro! thanks for helping! :D

@Lordie: nice! i've heard a couple of their songs, not bad. Haha. Thanks for the recommendation.!!

Truth Be Known - local political song, awesome band just finish their Taiwan tour and now preping for Malaysia tour.

they got songs like Men in White, Life Kills You (LKY) etc..etc..etc..

good friend of mine and awesome folks! \m/

Cool. Got links to their songs?

Back