Should I get new pickups?

nitrovo said:
did you read what I said?

I might get them in my next ax anyway. not sure yet.

of course I did. thats why I recommend EMGs. I know you'll like them.

and also, EMG will make a so so sounding guitar like a craftsman sound like an EMG equipt guitar.

but whats puzzling me now is that why do you have to ask like that like... "did you read what I said?". wotever.

Nitrovo - I don't exactly agree with your friend's opinion, but my opinion is only as good as his - just an opinion.

Again - depends whether you're buying a new guitar, keeping this LP, etc.

doing both. Keeping the LP and buying a new one.
like I said i'll keep my LP for bluesy rock pink floyd sorta stuff and get another guitar focused on metal. And EMGs are more inclined for metal right? so not much point for getting it in my LP.

nitrovo said:
my friend: "EMG are flat response so they take the sound of the wood in the guitar and the neck so... if you have a shit guitar..."

" SD and Dimarzio colour the sound, so they make anything sound good"

To my ears its quite the opposite.

EMG's tend to colour your sound heavily whereas SD's do let abit more of your guitar through. Dimarzio in between EMG and SD IN GENERAL.

Remember that all those companies have various models. So dont play a SD Invader and then conclude that all Duncans are muddy.

Have fun. Pickups are a boatload of them! :)

jony said:
Have fun. Pickups are a boatload of them! :)

hehehe... reminds me of all the Dimarzios I went thru! About 12 of them I think! They have some excellent flavours in them... but most of them sounded/felt compressed for some reason. Weird. Shredder-type I suppose. Hehehe.

nitrovo said:
my friend: "EMG are flat response so they take the sound of the wood in the guitar and the neck so... if you have a shit guitar..."

I thought it was the opposite? EMG actives doesn't care whether ur guitar is made of wood, plastic,metal or glass what... they sound almost the same on any guitar...

Passive pups however, are greatly affected by the tonal characteristics of the guitar...

MadWereWolfBoy said:
nitrovo said:

I thought it was the opposite? EMG actives doesn't care whether ur guitar is made of wood, plastic,metal or glass what... they sound almost the same on any guitar...

Passive pups however, are greatly affected by the tonal characteristics of the guitar...

you obviously have not tried EMGs on a poplar bodied jackson and compared them on a mahagony guitar like a SG or LP :p

and about EMGs for metal, well guess thats true for the humbuckers, due to the main reason that they do not feedback at high gains used for metal.

and remember, SRV, mark knophler, david gilmour etc used EMG Single coils.

but it is true that emg doesnt really care what guitar you use. the output is so hot that it overshadows the chracteristics. but of course they would sound better on a gibson compared to a tgm.
but then again you can put a $50 stock pup on a gibson and a tgm. the gibson would still sound better. point is no matter what of course better bodies will sound better.

gibbytones said:
but it is true that emg doesnt really care what guitar you use. the output is so hot that it overshadows the chracteristics.

You see, that is correct... for the high output EMGs.

The problem is the blanket statements being made that "EMG Actives" don't interact with body wood.

I've not tried the low output EMGs yet, but apparently the low output ones do manifest the tonal characteristics of the body wood.

However, EMGs have a peculiar flavour. I don't like that.

Surely dimes would be high gain? I dont know much about pickups at all.

I think EMG's look sexy, well emg 81..

I think I might leave my craftsman as stock. I still suck as hearing the different tones so i guess it would matter much to me for a while :p

dimes was never high gain ...it was Bill Lawrence L500's :wink:

The whole freakin world bought those pesky PU manufacturer "high output" & active gimmick (Its just a built in booster...thats it) !!
If you are destined to just jammin in your bedroom with low amp output amp then knock yourself out with high output pu's ...coz live with loud amp set and you dirt gain dimed ...ur asking for a disaster !!

But again high output straight into amp is ok ...anytime !!
Just my 2c ... :D

EMG's are generally gd sounding........SD's and DiMarzio's do sound ok too.......but clearer sound shldn't be ur aim 4 getting new PUs.....it shld be abt improving ur tone, finding ur niche and creating ur 'signature' sound.

I'll tell ya what, Once I get my toneport (after exams on wednesday) I'll make a recording of my guitar and you guys can tell me what you think on whether or not I need new PU's.

Back