shell configuration.

zack11

I do not know if this question has been asked in this forum before.

I am rather confused if it will make a difference with the thickness of the shell.

I know that diffrent type of woods can give diff highs n lows of the drums bt wad abt the shell thickness and the no. of plies.

I know that birch give more high than maple n basswood give total lows.

some company offers more plies bt not thick. for eg, there are some drums co. that has 7ply maple n oni 6.2mm thick and other co. offers 6ply bt 7.5mm

is there any diff???

wad abt mixing the diff type of wood. for example, mixing maple n birch...wads ur take??

that's kinda one of the big thing in progressive drum making at the moment. Intergrated shell thickness and bearing edges.
Altering the bearing edges, thickness of the shell and, in pearls case, the wood types to suit the sound they want from a drum. a 10" tom as opposed to a 18" floor tom

check out Danny Carey's Sonor kit. They really take the integrated shell thickness to the next level. his 1st rack tom is 1/2-2/4" thick, compared to his floor that's 1/4" thick

Hey Aaron...who better than you to reply this post!!

Guys, in case you dun know...Aaron builds drums!! For those who have been in my studio would have seen or played on a certain 12" snare covered in glorious orange sparkle wrap...that was a precious gift from Aaron!! One of the best darn sounding snares I've played on!!

malmbas: Do you have a website I can refer to regarding your drum making? Would be way cheaper than getting a shell from Vaughncraft.. or no?

I don't know if Aaron has a website, but if you are interested, he is dropping by Singapore sometime in March-April next year. He'll be conducting a workshop at The Music Lab and possibly bring some of his drums along for display too....

Woo thanks for the heads up.

Ugh but I'll be serving the nation by then. Oh well, I'm Pes C, pretty slackish stuff.

Thanks again Alvin!

I don't really have the capacity to supply shells yet, i'm still working on my technique and materials etc...

I'll definately try to bring a few with me next year when we come over.

The 12" I made for Alvin was actually before i started experimenting with making shells myself. So that one's just a Maple Keller shell.
Keller is basically the big ply drum making company of the world. Pretty much all of the big companies have bought shells off them at one stage or another, or still do.

If you've got the money, definately buy a Vaughncraft shell (one of which happens to be my avatar with a face i drew on it) because they're beautiful. you'll probably see their shells on Ford Drums

or look into stave shells from www.conceptionunix.com or www.joshuatreepercussion.com

If not, look into Keller as a cheaper option. As you've seen with Alvins drum, there's nothing wrong with a good keller.
they have minimum orders from the company but you can buy single ones from www.drumfoundry.com, www.drummaker.com, www.amdrumparts.com, www.precisiondrums.com and a few other sites

For building advice and an ENORMOUS amount of useful information come and join www.ghostnote.net.
Funny, welcoming and really really helpful guys
Feel free to pm me if you have any more questions too:mrgreen:

Thanks for all the info and links! Really helpful!

Yup Vaughncraft shells are amazing. Gotta love 'em.

Just registered for Ghostnote, will read through and frequent the forum and get back to you if I've got questions!

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back