Setting up with monitors.

hogcEd

Hey softies.

I need your advice!

Kinda what I'm trying to save up is actually.

1) Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Interface
2) Monitors speakers and stands to put in my room.

A simple set up to start with while studying Music production right now.

I need advice/ recommendations for monitor speakers actually.
I only know that KRK rokit series can be easily gotten at $418 for the cheapest one.
Are there any brands of speakers that isn't above $450 or so that I can try out and also that can last me a long time actually.

And also I need to acoustically treat my room prior to the resonance that will happen in my room I suppose?
Still pretty new here in this area.

What I do have with me now is my Macbook pro 15" late 2011, 8gb ram ( Intending to upgrade to 16gb ram and SSD eventually ), Brainwavs HM5 Studio Monitors and Advanced Acousticwerkes A2H-V Ciem.

Thanks in advance if you can help actually!

At the price range, the other one you can check out is the Yamaha HS5.

Dont worry about the room acoustic first. Get all the necessary equipment/instrument you need to start making music first.

Where are you doing your Music Production course?

Sweeeet. Any idea where am I able to try the yamaha's out? Or only yamaha's outlets have them?

Currently at Soma.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow cool! I just happen to be popping by peninsular today! Maybe I can head there later on. But I didn't bring a disc along to test though.

But what do you listen out when you listen to the monitors?

And yes! I do! Acoustic guitar!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there, firstly, I see your focusrite scarlett 2i2 is being retailed at $225 luthermusic. as a starter advice, usually you can look into 2nd hands which is around $170-$180, so do think twice for your purchases each time if you're getting 2nd hands (e.g. $225-$170 = around 50 = is 50 worth the warranty) etc. some can be negotiable or you can start putting up your WTB in the buy/sell. so this advice can be applied to anything else you invest in.

in the past I only have a few experiences with monitor speakers like Adam / Genelecs and old Mackie HR824s , after a while I realised it's kind of pointless if you have a pair of monitor speakers regardless of price (at least the lower end range) and your mix doesn't "travel" or if your room is going to make your monitor speakers lie to your ears (I've "seen"/heard it happen too often) . And more importantly I've noticed it's how different people/pair of ears adapt to their "favourite hearing medium". it's pretty sad to say this but sometimes apart from checking your mixes on your brainwavs and AAcoustic werkes, you still have to check them on the cheap sounding ipod earphones because most consumers/average users out there are using them. (now there's that hype with Dr Dre Beats + Apple... )

do read this as I've answered someone else's thread recently , under studio monitors
http://soft.com.sg/forum/showthread...-How-To-Set-up-a-recording-studio-for-my-room

Just a realitycheck reminder, it's $450 budget for the speakers now.. then later it's BOAT (break out another thousand) for acoustic room treatment.. then it's BOATx2 for great monitor speakers... then BOAT BOAT BOAT your DAW, your audio interface, your MIDI+VSTi (if you're arranging) or Preamps+Mics etc (if you're recording). during this time you'll realise oh damn I need a bigger room, i need to get a hdb flat and have 1 room for production the other 1 for storage. etc. so eventually you'll see how it's too easy to go into a hoarding mode. so another consideration is look at how other people build their bedroom/homestudios and I'd like to share with you mine because I don't think I've seen another that's smaller/cost effective than mine otherwise I'd copy it lol :
[Video Link : http://youtu.be/O__qHrqB2GU ]
(if you're recording, since you didn't mention what music production course)
Drums @ Jam Studio / Other Location = mics / 2 mic stands / the rest mic mounted. > audio interface > recording laptop (free from starhub in 2006)
10367816_783400955025321_6661307105850471767_n.jpg

Guitar/Bass/Vocals = DI recording > audio interface > desktop pc , i like my table small 100cm x 60cm cos it blocks my habit of being messy. as you can see there's a pair of altec lansing USB speakers ($30) , my IEMs are local brand LittlebigSound ($30) and headphones are Audio Technica ATHM30 ($60-$70). My keyboard is Creative ProdiKeys a.k.a "PS/2" MIDI controller .
10178130_783400981691985_8684726861493838140_n.jpg

Recording Amps = this one's the expensive one for me and takes up lots of space. But I've already earned back my investment + profit since 2011. Stacking them up + wheeling on a trolley makes it more space-effective and easy cleaning for a hygienic environment. Red table is my wife's "work"station. used to be mine about 12 years ago lol.
10362933_783401161691967_5597793018055084402_n.jpg

So to answer your question directly : "Are there any brands of speakers that isn't above $450 or so that I can try out and also that can last me a long time actually." : Don't know, and I personally don't believe in it.

To ask you a question + give you a tip : ">A simple set up to start with while studying Music production right now."
So you have a mac book + IEM + Headphones but zero portfolio because you don't have an audio interface which is understandable, but what i don't get is zero experience with trying to mix with the IEM+Headphones first and see/hear how it sounds?

do let us know your details of direction in audio production. MIDI/arrangement or Microphones/recording . What instruments will you be playing etc or what you aim to achieve.

- - - Updated - - -

oh you guys are "live" online now.

> "what do you listen out when you listen to the monitors? "
Mix on your IEM + Headphones + any Hifi + PC Speakers + Ipod + Car Stereo first.
compare with your most favourite "professional" mix in your life.
then bring your mix + your favourite pro mix to the stores to do the testing and comparison.observe the low/mid/highs the difference.
take note distance/location of where you sit in between the speakers also matters.

there are some unorthodox techniques like mixing with a hairdryer and vacuum turned on or next room which has worked with some people.

Back