Setting up a new Jamming/Recording Studio

zari_maxi

Hello to All. May Peace Be Upon You.

I'm Zari@42, have plans, this year to setup a new Jamming/Recording Studio.
Just need honest and sincere feedback from you guys on what are your expectations of a good studio. Feel free to list them, as these feedback are important to me and you. You never know, someday you will jamm in this very studio, that you suggested.

So here goes my plan of action, and do feedback generously.

Name? I dreamt that STARGAZER would be a cool name to have.

Location? How about in some industrial estate or would it be in some pre-war/conservative shophouses? Must be near to MRT or public transport. Shopping malls are out of the questions, cos central a/c shut off at around 9pm, mostly. FYI, Ind Est can rent bigger unit with reasonable cheaper rental than shophouses

Opening hours? Lets say 12pm to 3am?

How many studios? How about 3 to start with, with 1 room capable of doing recording.

How big each room? My ideal studio should be at least 300 sqft for a normal jamming room and at least 500 sqft for recording studio. Or do we need a Recital/Performance Studio, where Bands can showcase their talent and let others watch. About 800 sqft in size?

How much to charge? Lets say starting from $20 for jamming rooms and $25 for the recording room if use for jamming. Recording charges will apply accordingly, subjective to what the band require.

Equipment? Good and rugged, so that can last even after many jamming session. What are your suggestions?

Accoustics/Sound insulation? I really have no idea, but been jamming a couple of studios, and have an idea of using Gypsum boards, Rockwool, and some material from Auralex.

Do we need a lounge for jammers to hang around or 'lepak' before of after jamming?

Do I need to advertise the new studio? if yes, where to advertise?

How about setting up a KTV/Pub kind of setup, where all bands play for free, every night, but we charge minimal entrance fees which include soft drinks? No alcohol tho. Serves snacks and finger food. Sit down and enjoy the local music scene.

I have called 2 studios that were up for takeover, but 1 in Town I find it too small and takeover fees are expensive. The other 1 in West, have excellent setup, but only 1 studio and a little far from MRT.

Thats why I'm thinking of starting a new studio.

Any other matters that you can input and feedback?

Really appreciate your kind effort, young or old, newbie or seassoned player. But especially those that have experienced in setting up a studio before and feedbcak to me why it failed, so I don't make the same mistakes and provide our jammers and bands a better place.

If you are shy to post in public, PM me or email to;

haji_appetite@hotmail.com

Zari 90266008

I don't know a lot about running a studio but your idea sounds great. I have to say though, that with all the ideas you have, it sounds like you will need quite a substantial sum of capital.

lol good luck. no offence but its quite hard to setup a profitable/or at least breakeven studio...

to answer all your questions, you first have to be in our shoes,
what do we really need?

Location? How about in some industrial estate or would it be in some pre-war/conservative shophouses? Must be near to MRT or public transport. Shopping malls are out of the questions, cos central a/c shut off at around 9pm, mostly. FYI, Ind Est can rent bigger unit with reasonable cheaper rental than shophouses

:: Space/rent is definitely a high high hurdle. research!
what type of customers you would expect?
there are all sorts of people who would hang out at a studio.
EG, there are working class people who would hang out till they studios close if you're opening in town. would you want to cash in on these customers? would the rental hike be worth it?

Opening hours? Lets say 12pm to 3am?

:: how about 24/7?
with the extended hour available with booking?

How many studios? How about 3 to start with, with 1 room capable of doing recording.

::it entirely depends on you, 3-4's a good idea.
4 should be it if you're intending to get one to be recording-capable.

How big each room? My ideal studio should be at least 300 sqft for a normal jamming room and at least 500 sqft for recording studio. Or do we need a Recital/Performance Studio, where Bands can showcase their talent and let others watch. About 800 sqft in size?

::As much as we love big areas, we do have to count in your budget as well right?

How much to charge? Lets say starting from $20 for jamming rooms and $25 for the recording room if use for jamming. Recording charges will apply accordingly, subjective to what the band require.

:: Ah, that depends on your equipment also right? The same goes for this,
as much as we want to save money, you would want to earn as well!
it depends on the image you would want to give.
value, or prestige.

Equipment? Good and rugged, so that can last even after many jamming session. What are your suggestions?

::This is up to you, bear in mind sometimes the maintenance cost added up might cost a hell lot more than a new one, and having on-the-verge of dying equipment's might save you some money but it'd really bring down your REP.

Accoustics/Sound insulation? I really have no idea, but been jamming a couple of studios, and have an idea of using Gypsum boards, Rockwool, and some material from Auralex.

::FEEDBACK, and the sound of the other band blasting crap loud in the other room definitely sucks. we all hate it. size of room, blah blah. you would really have to ask the pros about this bro. the ceiling boards will aid in insulation too!

Do we need a lounge for jammers to hang around or 'lepak' before of after jamming?

::This is is entirely up to you, the area needed for that might be available for another room right?

Do I need to advertise the new studio? if yes, where to advertise?

::SOFT!
soft's a great place to advertise. ASK JAMES! (soft)
*like the advertisement for the loan company*

How about setting up a KTV/Pub kind of setup, where all bands play for free, every night, but we charge minimal entrance fees which include soft drinks? No alcohol tho. Serves snacks and finger food. Sit down and enjoy the local music scene.

::This is up to you to! it's the image you would want to create, extras are definitely welcomed. but we're singaporeans, we're cheap. LOL.

I'd rather you keep de place simple and keep to regular maintainence of the equipments. Especially the drums.
And none of those white fluorescent lights please. It's a major turn-off.
And stick to one idea. Jamming studio with basic recording services. That's it. None of those "showcasing acts" going on. Not yet.

And last but not least, the amps make or break your studio's success.

If your location is convenient and the environment is cosy and the equipments are of quality,you may wanna make it cheaper for the first few months, just to be filled with bands for exposure first,before you go back to Market price of $ 16/hr etc.

If your location is convenient and the environment is cosy and the equipments are of quality,you may wanna make it cheaper for the first few months, just to be filled with bands for exposure first,before you go back to Market price of $ 16/hr etc.

IMHO, 16/hr definitely not going to be enough, and judging by his own expectations, expect around around 20-30/hr.
and 16/hr... don't think that's the market price anymore. should be around 18 now.
or is it just me?

I agree. You should keep it simple and stick to one. Make it a nice concept jamming studio cos if you include recording facilities, it will be kind of tacky because if your recording room is not properly designed to deal with room modes (and I don't mean treated by Auralex foam), chances are your room will probably be able to pick up 'jamming noise' from your other rooms.

If you are planning to have your recording room properly acoustically designed then I would suggest high ceilings and large space. And peace be with you

Feedback and advise!

Wow! Not even 24hrs alrdy got many feedback and advise.

Ok for now focus on JAMMING STUDIO ONLY. Cos I believe thats where the market is.

Come on guys, more of your sincere and honest feedback.
I'm writing down all pointers as we go along.
Don't want to invest wrongly and unneccessarily.

After all it will be YOUR studio to jamm.

Btw any suggestions where in S'pore is ideal spot to setup?
Even if there are studios in that area, it's ok.
I personally like Kg Glam/Arab St area.

These are some of the equip I have in mind.
(Most of it I have in store, cos each month bought 1 equip, rather than buy the whole lot, which can be costly. "Pelan-pelan kayuh", in Malay)

Mackie mixers, Peavey speakers, amps & EQ, Marshall (stack) guitar amps (JCM 900), Peavey guitar (Special 212) & bass amps (T115 Combo), Roland (KB100) keyboard amps, 8ply Maple PDP 7pcs drumset, with Iron Cobra double pedal, Zildjian Aventis cymbals, Shure mics.

Zari

Last edited:
JCM900?? As much as i love it, i think you'll spent more on repair and maintaining then on profiting from it. I find it a waste to use it for jamming as well as incurring unnecessary cost for jammers.

I personally think that though beat merchant uses AVT, it's good enough as people uses their gain pedal to get the distortion rather then depending on the amp itself. Having a wrong amp will get jammers coming to you : "eh bro i think your amp spoilt sial.. i didn't press diztotion but i still get diztotion!"

If you are talking about recording purpose, a jcm900 alone may not be enough.. you need options or you'll need custom with their own amp.

Marshall AVT150

So bro, how bout AVT150? Better for jamming. A friend wants to sell to me and I'm very much considering it highly.

BTW, no recording, just jamming studio.

Zari

picking your location is very important. like you said, somewhere near mrt would be good.
arab street? you might be competing with beat merchants and L cube.

and yes equipment is very important. i may not know much, but i hate it when i go into a studio and the mic stands are faulty, the amp sucks, and the snare. Yes, there's always something wrong with the snare. i don't know why.

anyway, good luck :D

I think in terms of locations. There are enough studios in the east and central, why don't you consider the west? i believe there are as many softies staying in the west as those staying in the east. Somewhere like Clementi or even Jurong will make it quite unique.

West?

Wow! West, just nice. Near my place. "Lagi bagus"

Ok here's what I gather so far.

Simple, no flourescent lights, good working amp, good drumset & snare, good working mic stand, 24/7 (if possible), near MRT/public tpt, FEEDBACk from other studios cos of poor sound insulation, regular maitenance of equip and place

I totally agree to these positives advise.
These are the things that "make or break" a studio.
I believe as for equipment, I'm confident I've got it covered.

I'm looking at rental spaces this Friday 20Feb, and it's in West (coincident or what?)

Thanking one and all for their contributions
Keep it coming guys/gals.

ZARi

Last edited:
i agree, you will really need a huge sum.

i've been to different places of studios and stuffs

a good place would be the most important
ANY place with EASY routes or straightbuses
it's the best to be near town :D

24/7 wont be really needed , but the thought of if a band wants to jam midnight
then you might wanna leave it open for them but you dont have to open 24/7

a cosy place is the best , neat

MARSHALL AMPS ! HAHA just my own preferences
probably
NO rusty guitars please, change strings
do checks with each rooms like daily , mics or drums etc.
that's really all.
people would enjoy going to a place like that
and have a friendly someone to be at the counter :D

working at a jamming studio is cool
if anyday you open a studio and need a parttimer HAHA let me know :p

Plan of Action

Ok guys/gals, here it is. To become part of a jamming studio, that YOU have a say and be proud of. When you are old and have kids and grand kids, you can brag that YOU, help build this jamming studio.

Invest $5000, (If 5 of you share, than $1000 each, under 1 name) and get 20% returns. Your returns will be credited to you every month of $250/month, up to 24 months. All this will be properly documented, for OUR goodsake.

How it goes 20 people (maximum) investments will come up to a total of $100,000 to be used for setting up YOUR studio.

Here's the breakdown (worst case scenario).

Plan for 5 studios of 400 sqft each. All same sizes, same rates, same equipment.

5 studios x $20 x 6 hours (6pm to 12mn, worst case) x 7 days x 4 weeks

Total A = $ 16,800 gross

Rental $3800 less PUB $1000 less Misc $1000 Less Studio Assistant $1000 (partimer or full timer) Total B = $6800

Total C = Total A less Total B = $10,000

Total Investment Returns (TIR) = 20 people x $250 each = $5000

Nett Profit = Total C less TIR = $10,000 - $5000 = $5000.

Well, guys/gals, sleep on it, discuss with your close and love ones, and decide wisely.
I'm inviting only 20 people as Investors, not more. If there are more than 20, the next batch will be invited if the studio needs expansion, but priority will be given to the 1st 20.

Here's the facts.
Jamming Studios are reccession proof business.
Whether good times or bad, jammers young and young at heart stiil wants to jamm.
There are always upcoming bands looking for good studios to jamm.

Based on the feedbacks that are posted here, I believe WE can build better studios with better equipment, in a good location, thats suits OUR taste and liking. (No offence to ALL current studios' owners. Some are really good, but some...are subjective)

I know some have the same idea as well. If you have, it's good. We can share the experience and excel together. Why not? 20 heads are better than 1.

I will update this post as often as I can. So that you know whats the latest update, so that it hepls you to decide.

Contact me if you have further enquiries.

My sincere thanks in advance to ALL for your kind attention.
May Peace be Upon You.

Zari 9026-6008
haji_appetite@hotmail.com

Last edited:
salam bro & all the best wif ur new studio...

I thing most of the important aspects have already been brought up.

Keep us up to date coz me & my band looking for a good reliable studio too.

Back