scales ....

hi guys i know my basic scales,but i dun realli know how to apply them and my piano teacher just tells me to learn all the scales but where do i use it? how? any examples? links? anyone? information as detailed possible would be aprreciated

*NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT ARGUE WITH EACH OTHER HERE IT IS f****** IRRITATING TO SIEVE OUT INFO,I CAN DECIDE FOR MYSELF WHO TALKING BULLSHIT AND WHOS NOT.

For improvision, scale does kick in. What key you should touch more or less. Practise chord drills and cadence too. If you got instructor that teach improvision. All these will kick in too if spend a bit less time to train "death" prastise.

Hi,
To simplify your learning process assuming you know all your Major scales, practice in one key eg: E

For pop/rock applications, we normally play Emajor or Eminor scale - Ionian and Aeolian respectively..

What you could do is explore with modes (substitutions)
eg: Play and sustain an E bass note (drone), than play A major scale.
The result is an E Mixolydian (mode).

Next, play the same Bass note but this time, play B major scale.
The result would be an E Lydian mode. Gives you an "uplifting" feeling...

How about trying C scale?...

Keep playing the same bass note but apply different major scales. Listen to how the moods change.

Some modes have a major 3rd while others a minor3rd. (Mixo and Dorian)

eg: E7 has a maj3rd and a dom7th so Mixo would fit perfectly for substituting E Ionian.
eg: Em7 has a min3rd and a dom7th so Dorian would fit........."..........".........E Aeolian.

Don't worry too much about the names, it's the character/mood of the modes that's important. Practice often and you'll be able to recognize the modes just by listening.

Best.

Last edited:
Back