room studio for music production

Danir Jbreakr

hi guys, does anyone have any knowledge on how to create a room studio??

i planning to make one but dont know where to start..

most importantly, what are the equipment i need?

thanks =)

Are you talking about a bedroom studio? You need, monitors, a midi controller, an audio interface and a DAW. If you want to record, you will need microphones.

Once you are comfortable with that, you can venture into some acoustic treatment.

Well, if you're looking at an entry level computer recording setup, it can cost about $2000 without acoustic treatment.

Hi Danir

Maybe you can tell us what equipment/instrument do you already own?

I'm also starting my own home studio.. Currently using a macbk pro, lexicon alpha audio interface, shure sm58, and soundtrack pro from final cut pro.. Basic track recordings, pretty new to this, now having problems with drum recording.. All that cost almost $2k.. The laptop took up most of it, the rest u could probably go forums to get some neat gears.. All the best..

Im setting my room studio for recording too. I have a HD webcam $55, Tascam Mk122 audio interface $230 and a $99 chrome historic mic. Of cuz with my guitar and mic stands.. Software is free, cubase, pretty much done. I will set up some cheap foam and strips to reduce sound transmission. all that probably add to up less than $600 haha, excluding my guitar!

Hi valen87,

Nice to hear that you are setting up your own recording studio! If budget is a concern, I might be able to share a tip or two. :) Acoustic treatment need not be expensive, in fact you could build it yourself for free! I do not recommend foam as a porous absorber as they are generally poor performing. Any long-timer in this industry can testify to that. I'm not sure why but in Singapore, there has been a misconception that if you want acoustic treatment, you should get stick foam to the wall.

What I do suggest is building your own acoustic panels and bass traps. These work significantly better than acoustic foam (proven every time with empirical data - you may check out Ethan Winer's website) and they are not too costly to build. You could purchase your rockwool or fiberglass insulation from local suppliers in Singapore and simply wrap them up with acoustic fabric (breathable). I might add a warning that working with rockwool/fiberglass insulation will get you all itchy!

Good luck to your studio building and do let us know how it goes! You may drop me a message at elijah@auralaid.com should you need any more acoustic treatment tips! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Back