Rookie guitar player - 5 months

leroyisme

Rookie/Intermediate Acoustic guitar player - 5 months.Planning to buy electric guitar

Hey dudes,i've been playing acoustic(yamaha f-310 cs) for about 5 months or so.The best songs i can play would be wake me up when september ends by green day and i will follow you into the dark by death cab for cutie with no errors.

I think i'm getting the hang of it and starting to get an electric.I looked up on the internet and i saw this website...The guitar shop is at peninsula but i didn't went there before.But heard its around orchard.(CBD)

Some one mentioned to me that fenders are good and i think it really suits my style/genre.And at a relatively cheap price.

He also listed that buying a guitar you should go for the 3 things

1)feel
2)sound,does it sound good to you?
3)craftmanship

And i dunno anything about amps!!i want a moderately loud amp that sounds kickass...

My budget is...
Guitar - $300 ~ $400++
Amp - $150

Thanks for any pros who really can help me..And please don't mention squier I'm not really that beginner(plus it sounds so bad that the dead would be mentioned as living dead)

P.S NO GIBSONS PLEASE I'M NOT RICH.Heard that fender strat mexican made is niceeee but dunno whether its made here.
Please give me the price for strat HSS and telecasters too!!(the cheapest ones)

Last edited:
And please don't mention squier I'm not really that beginner(plus it sounds so bad that the dead would be mentioned as living dead)

have you played a squier or is this opinion just from internet forums? in the 300-400 range squiers are some of the best guitars you can get.

It sounds bad....It's so out of tune even though when it's in tune..It has this weird tune and i didn play it before but my friend said squier only had 1 pickup.(not sure whether she's correct)

you haven't played one before? okay firstly guitar brands don't make guitars that all come with one pickup config. also, i dont think there's a single squier excluding artist models that comes with 1 pup. how do you know that it sounds bad if you haven't played one before? :S and "it's so out of tune even though when it's in tune" doesn't make any sense. if it sounds like it's out of tune, it probably is. perhaps you don't like the pickups? oh and mexican strats are made in mexico. but you can buy them here :) fenders are out of your budget though. squiers are now entry-level fenders. if you don't like the sound of a squier you probably don't like the sound of a fender. unless the squier has vintage single coils and the fender has an invader in it. >_<

dunno if that was meant to be sarcastic but never mind.

if you really don't want a squier then no one's gonna force you, gotta get a guitar that you'll actually like playing right? :)

i'm not sure what the epiphone les paul models around that price are called, but you might wanna check them out. if you wanna stick to the stratocaster look, your best bet is still squier. there might be some brand out there that's really good that's like a best kept secret, but otherwise squier's the brand to get for fender-ish stuff. (being a subsidiary of fender after all).

in reference to your original post, billie joe plays a gibson lp jr if i'm not wrong, which is out of your budget, and chris walla/ben gibbard plays loads of stuff from rickenbacker, gibson and also fender esquires/teles. so yeah. don't let the artist that plays the guitar dictate what you get though. you might also wanna try the buy/sell section here, might get a good deal.

hmm..ok ok i'm not being sarcastic at all.though looking back i sound like i did.lols.yeah..how do you give rep power?

You cannot give rep because your rep power is 0. Anyway Squier are good guitars. With your budget, you can only get Squier models if you want strat type guitars as the Mexican Fender models cost double you budget.

Last edited:
First of all, Fender guitars are not relatively CHEAP. Please tell that someone who told you that to check the price. I suggest you look up more on Squier. You gonna offend a lot of people here when you said that Squier sounds so bad that the dead would be mentioned as living dead). Please tell your good friend that Squier do not have only one pickup. You can see the guitars here http://www.squierguitars.com/products/ I think you need to read and see more on guitars. Just to let you know, Penisula is nowhere near Orchard and CBD. It is located at Coleman Street, 5 minutes walk from City Hall MRT. Cheers!

Last edited:
Shine do produce some good guitars as well dont they ?
u can check them out at Music Theme at Peninsula.
and dont forget Stagg at ZenGuitarWorks.
they have very nice entry level guitars which can last for a life time to be honest. i guess most people keep their very first guitar as a momento or something.

for amp, i would recommend VOX Pathfinder15R.
very pedal friendly if u decide to venture into pedals later and has a very nice onboard overdrive.
one of the best 15W amps out there i would say.

u say that a squire is too lousy for you like that..
its the player not the guitar, 5 months u shud know the basics ald..
and.. read the gear section to learn more..
oh ya, again, dont put down guitar brands like that, ure a beginner after all, and even pros use sub brands ( ltd, epiphone,) and your friend who told u only 1 pickup, apparently is really really noob..

fenders are outta your budget bro. unless u get one hell of an offer.

what u can do is just roam around peninsular shopping centre's and excelsior hotel's basement(there are connected) and check out some of the guitar shops. there are davis, music theme, zen guitarworks, dan, guitar connection and guitar77. alternatively u can go brasbasah 3rd floor and check out sweelee, blackwood and ranking. these are the main places to go.

aside from the 3 points ur fren has laid out, here are some other points u may wanna think of:

- budget(ok u set it already)
- type of guitar i mean the shape eg. strat, tele, les paul, semi hollow, prs, superstrat
- type of music u play(ok maybe i get a hint of punk rock there but there may be others)
- source of overdrive/distortion. amp distortion? or pedals?

since u just got started, these are just some points to think over. there are many others that u may not understand and neither do i. imma newbie too=)).

squier can go as far as getting Malmsteen's sound..(if d pickups are changed)..u dun wanna mess around telling ppl this stuff can make our great-great grandparent wake up..would be better if u say u dun prefer d sound it gives..as easy as dat..Thank you..

First of all, Fender guitars are not relatively CHEAP. Please tell that someone who told you that to check the price. I suggest you look up more on Squier. You gonna offend a lot of people here when you said that Squier sounds so bad that the dead would be mentioned as living dead). Please tell your good friend that Squier do not have only one pickup. You can see the guitars here http://www.squierguitars.com/products/ I think you need to read and see more on guitars. Just to let you know, Penisula is nowhere near Orchard and CBD. It is located at Coleman Street, 5 minutes walk from City Hall MRT. Cheers!

Hmm..should go !@#%^%$&&%%$ him now. ty

It sounds bad....It's so out of tune even though when it's in tune..It has this weird tune and i didn play it before but my friend said squier only had 1 pickup.(not sure whether she's correct)

eh? him? her? she?

Don't look down on Squiers' their '51's a modders dream. Anyway, while you're at Standard Value, check out their Timbres too. Heard lots of good things about them. And SX strats supposedly not bad for their price, alder body and maple neck.

Last edited:
Why not go for guitar packages?.

I was advise by Swee Lee staff to get guitar packages when I first started out playing the electric guitar.

Timbre at Standard Value are good and quite similar to Squier strats. Not that I tried Timbre guitars before but it's an opinion coming from someone I trust.

I hope this helps. =)

Back