The one i own - Brand newstar. model NF-60

Sim Lim tower sure have

May be quite expensive to ship an amp internationally
Other small valve amp
Ibanez Valbee
Fender Pro Junior/Blues Jr
Laney LC15R

:lol:

Re: How do i use 115V equipment in Singapore?

seekz said:
Just an amp thats not sold in Singapore. The Epiphone Valve Junior.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Epiphone-Valve-...ryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Rated at 115V, I know it won't work here. Any one got solutions?

A step-up or down transformer is that it?

dun get the Valve Junior Combo.. there's a lot of hum problems with it (check out the amp forums online). try and get the Valve Junior head and a decent speaker cabinet..

i remember seeing some amp forum saying that u can "mod" the 115v head to a 230v head quite easily by plugging and unplugging some internal wires

>>imcorn
I've never tried head and Cabs before.

What would be considered a "Decent" cab?

And i don't think there are many cabs around in the market thats cheap
or maybe thats my ignorance talking.

any reccomendations?
================

>>To the rest.

so its an external peripheral i add at the power point yeah?
or its a "mod" to a power supply?

Or can anyone mod the power supply so that it works at 230V
Mikemann you can do it or not?

pardon my ignorance if at any point you feel that i'm talking trash.
I really dont know much,

hmm.. well.. u can always buy a cheap 1 x 12 cab then get someone to change the speaker inside to maybe a Celestion (can't remember wch model liao)..

as for the transformer, its an external supply.. just plug in the transformer to the power point, then plug in the amp to the transformer..

it's still recommended to wait till Swee Lee brings in local stock of the Valve Junior..

seekz - best thing is to wait (or bug) for sweelee to bring in the Epi Junior head.

good cabs are expensive - in fact most 2nd hand combos can rival the price of a good cab. even cab design is important.

carvin is selling a 1x12 with celestion v30 for 199USD. Sure is tempting, but I gotta get a head first. heh.

actually i did wait.. its like more than a year already... since the valve junior was out.

The thing is i have a friend whos coming back from the states. He can help me bring back the amp.

Well, thanx for all your input, i'm really considering the head as more of an option now.

but what about the cab... does the local stores here sells 1x12 ? or 1x10
or 1X anything?

Well I was thinking if worst come to worst I'll just salvage the stupid tiny cab from the marshall MGstack hehehe, thats sure gona look funny.

The head plugs in to 4,8,or 16 ohms, so you should have no problem with finding cabs.

I did think of asking Ranking to bring in a 1x12 but I'm not ready to commit to a new amp head yet.

hey thor666.. did Swee Lee reply to u if they're bringing in the Epi Valve Jr Head?

still waiting for them to reply.. if not i gonna order from Music123.. haha

Sounds like this head and cab thing is gona be quite a bitch...

I'll just stick with the combo. Worst case senario upgrade a speaker...
now aint that simpler?

check out these mods....
http://www.valvejunior.com/

This dude actually find a 5watt amp TOO LOUD for practise. LOL
he invented his own power attentuator, lol. Logical, but still kinda whacky.

and link to other mods at the bottom.

imcorn - no they didn't. :cry:

seekz - head + cab allows u to swap cabs, and almost literally plug into any cab (as long as u plug it correctly). drawback is that it's probably not that convenient.

combo - drawback is that it's 8" speaker. personally, i hate 8". oh, you can't fit a 12" in, i believe. but hey, that's just my preference.

the valve junior is Class A (not sure if true Class A), which roughly translates to a bit more than 2 times the perceived volume of a solidstate with the same wattage rating (varies, but it's a general guideline). So that 5w valve junior is like a whooping 15W - turned up for tone, it's going to sound loud.

well, yeah. I guess it'll be great to try different cabs,

But that is if i own a JSX, or a 5150 or some vintage marshall head right?
even then in singapore there's not much choices of cabs for me to switch around with.

And it probably wont make sense to use a 5watt head, when i have money to buy some 4x12 greenbacks. i saw this guy sellin on luther 1960A greenbacks.
800 bucks.

I think the reason i wana get this amp is cos it a full tube class A.
at a dirt cheap price, and it aint sounding like a beringer. hehe.

So i think i probbly got carried away when someone proposed the head and cab idea. got bloated with GAS!! hehe

new stuff's always such a delactably fussy affair, no matter how cheap... hehe

it's always going to be exciting :)

well, you could try and convince gig organizers and jam studio owners to plug ur epiphone VJ head to their cabs/combo with external input jack... since it accomodates all 3 popular impedance ratings.

hmm.. can plug into combos?

oh god you've just open a can of worms...
now i feel like getting the head version again..

with the yamaha DG-60 cab(active) or the ibanez tb-212 cab...

Not all combos can be converted to use as a cab. The ones with a jack and a cable to the combo speaker - those you can connect a head/another combo into it.

Just to be doubly sure (don't want people to come after me for blown speakers), a pic of how it would look:
speakerout.jpg

This one is from my AVT50 combo. Number 2 sends the signal out to the speaker using an amp cable.

it's -not- the guitar input jack. never plug an amp output to a guitar input jack.

my opinion is that end of the day, have to try out the combo to decide whether the 8" is good for you. I've never heard it personally. I just tend to find the 8" physically limits how the sound is reproduced.

hmm interesting... if the avt20 has the same jack, then I'll buy the head.. I'll go check up on it

thor666 said:
Not all combos can be converted to use as a cab. The ones with a jack and a cable to the combo speaker - those you can connect a head/another combo into it.

Just to be doubly sure (don't want people to come after me for blown speakers), a pic of how it would look:

This one is from my AVT50 combo. Number 2 sends the signal out to the speaker using an amp cable.

it's -not- the guitar input jack. never plug an amp output to a guitar input jack.

my opinion is that end of the day, have to try out the combo to decide whether the 8" is good for you. I've never heard it personally. I just tend to find the 8" physically limits how the sound is reproduced.

woo.. i got the same amp as u.. haha.. but i dun use it so often.. now using the pathfinder 15R while i wait for the Valve Jr. to land in Sunny S'pore

curious - what speaker is it equipped with?

mine is a Celestion G12-50 AVT. I think there are two versions, the older one (probably mine) has the poorer speaker.

thor666 said:
curious - what speaker is it equipped with?

mine is a Celestion G12-50 AVT. I think there are two versions, the older one (probably mine) has the poorer speaker.

hmm.. mine has the same speakers as urs.. mines pretty old.. abt 3-4yrs.. but seen little playing time.. wats the other version? or are u referring to the AVTX50? tink Marshall revamped the whole AVT series to AVTX or someting

Back