Recommendations for keyboard / synthesizer

stars_jy

hi everybody...

im a guitarist here.. but im lookin to get a keyboard to learn myself.. im willing to set aside a budget of abt 600 bucks.. i wanna learn to play it.. i might go get teacher or learn myself as i noe some abt music theory already.. can u guys like explain to me the diff funcitons of a keyboard and any recommendations for my budget??

i wan to use it for recordin too.. for the rythem part for my guitars and mayb accompanyin wif vocals.. and can somebody give me alittle bit about the diff diff things in a key and sythesizers?? im not intrested in doin dance music and computer music.. hope wad i haf said can gif u guys a brief info of wad im gettin it for ...

thks,
Jy

thread repeating

hi,

it's good to see people picking up keyboards
but this thread related topic is around on and off;
look thru the keyboards gear thread, you'll find your
answers.

l_0d059b3bd37a8ca5e64823379f14ccc3.jpg

hi bong..

thks for tt.. alright.. between the yamaha s-03 and the korgpa80.. which is better?? like in terms of the sounds.. recordin ability.. i wan it to be like a one man band kinda.. which one do u guys think is a better choice for me?

teraslasch said:
i suggest u get a keyboard instead of a synthesizer at the start..

A synthesizer is a keyboard.

Do note that the S-03 does not have build-in speakers. Unless you are content with using headphones, you will have to budget in monitor speakers if you intend to get it. It does come with auto accompaniment but because it is mainly an entry level synthesizer, the accompaniment function is pretty limited in terms of the number of variations. I believe it does not have a built-in sequencer, which means to make the most out of accompaniment, you will have to use a PC.

You mentioned that you want to learn keyboard. I will be useful for us to know which aspect of the keyboard you would be keen to learn. You sound interested in the "one man band" thing. You can be a "one man band" and use relatively little keyboard techniques - ie faster learning curve but you'll not advance very far. I got friends who were interested in learning keyboard accompaniment playing (portasound type) - takes only a few months max to master it (and they did pretty well). The PA80 is a keyboard that suits this purpose, but I would suggest getting the Yamaha portasound series as they have a wider range of variations.

But if you want to play the keyboard - ie really play it, I suggest forget about the one man band thing at this stage. You will need to learn technique, which means you will need a better keyboard. Auto-accompaniment keyboards doesn't come with good touch and it will affect your learning of keyboard technique. S03 may be a good option (as a beginner, esp since the guy is selling for $700). Given your budget, that's about the option available.

Hi jy,

Hope you have gotten your kybd by now.

Else, as suggest by Bongman, go visit the "Big Wigs" of kybd dealers to feel the keys and listen to the sound samples of the synths they offer. Then, make use of your likes as benchmarks.

Also, since you are into the 2nd hand market, do some research on past flagship or notable workstation kybds based on your needs (workstation = synth w/ sequencer at the least).

Always remember, there is never and can never be a perfect synth! That's why there are rack modules! Importantly, you should like what you buy and not only because it is cheap! Good luck!

yea thks alot man peeps..

err.. i haven got thee keyboard.. but ill continue go look around fes.. i haf no hurry to get one too.. yea.. im intersted in one man band.. cuz im a guitarist.. i juz hope to learn to play keyboard as in the accompaniment like wad u guys said..

thanks alot guys..

Keyboards buyers' guide:

Keyboards buyers' guide:
http://www.backstage-lounge.com/feature.asp?featurecode=23

General checklist:
- Sound quality
- Price
- Availabilty of additional sounds
- Quality of documentation and availiabilty of how-to books
- Number of voices and multi-timbral operation
- Built-in effects
- Built-in sequencer
- Keyboard feel and wheels/pitch-bend feel
- Good match for the rest of your setup

hi all,

i need some recommendations. hopefully be able to benefit from the coming city music and sweelee sales.

i am considering the following, korg pa50, korg triton(new i guess).

i need a keyboard that is able to plug in laptop, do midis, orchestrations, and able to record a decent piano sound. overall, the keyboard should be able to handle basic piano gigs, and also help in my recordings. budget wise is below 1.5k hopefully. pardon me for my language as i am a noob in the keyboard field.

is workstation a better choice? or a midi keys will do? i am not that well verse in roland's gears also. please do help me out. :)

weckish said:
i need a keyboard that is able to plug in laptop,

No. If you want a decent piano sound, workstations are NOT the way to go.
Get
1) a decent controller keyboard (not necessarily new with your budget).
2) a good VSTi that normally dedicates a few Gb to piano sounds. (A workstation at most dedicate a few MBs to piano sounds).

You can have a look here:
http://www.audiomidi.com/master.cfm?CID=224

Of course, all this would mean that you need to bring your laptop for a gig and you need a decent soundcard. Or if money is tight, try if Asio4all works with your laptop.

http://tippach.business.t-online.de/asio4all/faq.html

hi there,

thanks for replying. but i am looking for something more all rounded. therefore my mind was on the workstation. what do u think of a midi player in my case? i guess that could only cost less than $200.

what excatly a pa50 arrange diff from workstation?

thx

I'm considering getting a keyboard too. As a bass player and one who is pretty into solo stuff, i realised that learning how to play the piano in general will help alot in my chord changes and arrangement/improvisation structure etc.

I was eyeing the Yamaha PSR275, but i don't mind second hand stuff too, was looking through Yahoo Auctions and found some cool ones, but at the current moment i dont' have the budget to get one, have to wait till next year before i can.

I'm cool with the keyboard tech talk but i'm totally lost with the connection part to your PC. I'd want to do home recording too, but how do i start?

I understand that there has to be some midi input thingy from your keyboard to the PC right? Or will a normal 1/4" jack work fine?

Man .. home studios .. bleahs ..

workstation versus controller/ computer

Ma 2 cents

sorry do differ with lowj workstation versus controller/ computer

but... getting a controller/ soundcard/ pc/ VST and hooking it all together is laborious and just a big pain in the a$%. (Even though it is cool as heck once you get it right), The chance of all being wonderful on your first 15 tries setting it up is very low. I do this for a living and it had taken me almost 3 months to buy/ fix/ buy more/ get drivers/ reinstall yadayada e.t.c... to make my system work glitch free. These are concerns you do NOT need when just jumping into learning keyboards. You need your brain space for the art of playing well.

It sounds like you cats are trying to learn keyboards and do some elemental writing perhaps, so unless you are about to embark on serious recording or need pretty lights all over your desktop, get a good stand alone workstation - second hand on ebay or ask and look around here - Should be between 500 and 1000 SG and they are awesome song palettes as well - in fact some can really inspire creativity and learning.

The piano sounds on high end workstations are fine and some have killer stock piano samples.

Some good second hand workstations to look out for are:
Korg Triton family of keyboards (get the piano card though, stock piano is crap)

Roland XP series - old school now, but has some great pianos that you've definitely heard alot if you have had your radio on in the last ten years

Yamaha Motif - (more expensive likely) hands down the best stock piano sound and some very cool creative functions for writing songs and arranging. This keyboard is a good argument for preferring a keyboard with "stuff" in it over a midi controller with a computer - even when you know exactly what you are doing :) .

As with anything, the newer the more expensive...

ma 2 cenz :)

Hi binderdonedat, I believe lowjk is replying weckish, not the thread starter, who has a totally different need. Weckish needs good piano sound, recording, orchestration etc.

3 months to setup your DAW system is a long time! I took a few weeks - already very long for me. But once it's set up right, it works extremely well. And playing on my 20 samples/note piano is a dream - no hardware piano comes even close. Top of the range Yamaha is only 3 samples/note; top of the range Roland SRV I believe is 4 samples/note. And they are no where near software pianos.

But if using for live, I agree with you. Piano sounds from keyboards are usually sufficient. All release samples and details etc get lost when it is blasted through loud speakers.

I am a guitarist who is into songwritting, planning to get a keyboard for demo recording. THe sounds that I am interested in is the grand piano sound, synths and strings. Have my eyes set on a Yamaha DGX-220. Tried it with my keyboard playing friend and I liked it.

Just wanna get some opinions from the experts out there how you guys find the DGX-220. Thnks in advance!! :D

hey im interested in keyboars even tohugh im on drums... :D btw i went to yamaha to check out their clarniova stage piano ..blah blah blah ...is korg better than yamaha

It all depends on what u kinda stuffs u wanna play.

Go for Korg if u're going for music effects.Their synthesizers and workstations are really packed with a huge variety of effects.But I heard that their piano sounds are not as great.:???:

Go for Yamaha if u're more of a "playing" person.Meaning you dun need as much effects but more of the feel of the keys.I started out as a classical pianist so I like the feel of Yamaha keys more than korg.The effects are good as well,just that i like Korg's sounds more hahaha:p.Their motif and S series are rather good I would say

Just my 2 cents worth of personal opinion :)

hey im interested in keyboars even tohugh im on drums... :D btw i went to yamaha to check out their clarniova stage piano ..blah blah blah ...is korg better than yamaha

hello people,

i see you people talking about synthesizers, midi players, workstations and keyboards. what exactly are they? do you guys actually have a link that explains what are the differences and purpose of the various equipments?

help would be very much appreciated here. thank you in advance! :)

Back