Recommendations for Bongo

joshuak

I would like to buy a complete set of Bongos for my band. The sound and quality should be good enough for public performance.

Any recommendations and estimated price?

Thanks in advance! :D

Hey Josh,

looking for bongos for CNS? :p
you can't go wrong with LP bongos (swee lee)
u may also wish to consider Meinl (ranking)
if i remember, correctly, meinl would be cheaper...
bongos would cost around $300 odd for a decent set (p.s. guys, please correct me if i got my figures wrongly)
oh yes, u have to take into consideration to get a good stable stand, which would cost around another 100 to 200..
hope that helps!

Cheers,
Zhong

Last edited:
wouldnt you prefer congas? :) Budget priced bongos woud be the lp aspire series. I'd rather go pearl primero pro though. looks nicer.

actually Freakae2 has a good point there

i would think that congas are more versatile
though an advantage for bongos would be portability :)

Thanks, guys!

Yeah, I will consider the congas too.

Hey Josh,

looking for bongos for CNS? :p

Hi, Zhong. The current plan is to buy the bongos/congas for one of my band mates only. We realised he's a natural for playing rhythm percussion instruments. Gonna let him develop his talent --> probably bring home and practise everyday.

Maybe buy more for CNS if there are other folks who can play them too. :-D

Last edited:
hey man, as a percussionist myself i think bongo's are great but they generally work better in tandem with conga's, but if u really want versatility and portability, get a djembe, its various tones from the bass to the slap gives u flexibility, with bongo's and conga's u would be more limited, esp with bringing it around. Altho bongo's are smaller than a djembe, its easier to play a djembe sitting down or even standing (with a strap) and u don't need a stand. Furthermore, the d'jembe skins are softer than conga's so are easier on the hands. For a new percussionist thats very important cos if ur playing with wrong technique ur gonna hurt ur hands pretty bad.

Bongo

It a matter of a personal choice, suggest have him to test a few model/brand before making a decision. My opinion, I prefer the LP Matador wood bongos - Standard Siam Oak wood. A Light weight body with TTR rim mounting, fitted cast with aluminum bottom. This enable it to be tighten to max to get a very crispy tone on the Macho side. Reckon the price is reasonable for this standard made. The light weight body enable the player to sit and play the bongo for a longer period of time without the support of the stand. It is not so tired on both your legs.

Try LP Generation 3 - Triple Bongo. Consisting of 3 drums (5 1/2", 7 1/2" and 9"). Creative design either triangular or straight configuration. The 3 variations enable player for more play options close to quinto/conga/tumba combination . Pricey - can check it out at Yamaha showroom.

the d'jembe skins are softer than conga's so are easier on the hands. For a new percussionist thats very important cos if ur playing with wrong technique ur gonna hurt ur hands pretty bad.

This is a valuable advice....I have a Djembe last time (a Festive Remo Djembe - supposed to be the least harmful & easy to play and seems can do to me no harm - cause they have no Metal-Rims around the drum) - - - I was playing and having fun - so much so that I just slap & slap the Djembe for hours (though I dunno how to play it) - then after hours, suddenly I felt my hands got Swollen lah - Hahahaha as I felt the pain ... and I cant drum (my 5pcs kit - I cant hold the sticks lah) for the next 4 to 5 days cause it's painful...after that I got so angry and I sold my Djembe off. Me wify (who doesn't know anything about instruments says - Aiyah why are you so stupid - use stick hit lah so your hand wont swollen like how you hit your kit - which makes me lagi angry that time hahahaha. )

It was a good experience - now I have another one (much smaller) very native looking from Indonesia .. I dunno what type of drum is it? ..hahaha - but I dont play on it..just put for show.

Last edited:
actually Freakae2 has a good point there

i would think that congas are more versatile
though an advantage for bongos would be portability :)

if want conga and portability at the same time, can try Pearl Travel Conga.
Go youtube for real life sound sample

Back