recommendation on headphones?

Ahjon

Hi guys,
I think i need a new headphone cus my HD457 is dying on me.
haha was wondering if there are gd headphones for monitoring (maybe) most important is it must be comfortable and durable.
Budget maybe around 100+ and below?

any recommendations?

I have been using HD 515, they're open headphones and very comfortable. Not flat response but it's alright if you've used it for a while and know the frequency response.

Welcome To Luthermusic

Seems like Luthers has stock for new Sennheiser headphones:

"New Sennheiser Evolution series headphones are great for keyboards, digital pianos and mixing operations.

EH150 is just $49.00 and EH350 is $118.00. EH350 features flat response and is specially made for monitoring purposes, very suitable for home recording or "Live" mixing."

That $118 EH350 looks attractive for the price range!

I got an audio technica A700 in box to let go.

closed headphones. brilliant for monitoring and gaming too. comfortable as hell
96714402 if keen

I am here just to share my 2cents worth. Imo headphones does not have flat frequency response. But i am not saying it is useless.

Headphones are always used in mixing to check for panning, depth and spacing of songs or if you wish to mix a binaural song. Imo it is not good enough for mixing. Especially the low freq response and the higher frequency response, they are usually not linear or accurate.

Some ppl might say, "hey, i can mix a gd song with headphones." That is because that person have learn to compensate what is lack off when i reference through other monitors. And most of the time the compensation would be rather drastic.

it is juz my 2cents worth. If you guys think otherwise, feel free to share... i am here to learn also...

E

Oh okay I learnt something new today, flat response headphones do not have flat response... Now, what's the difference between a flat response headphone and a non flat response headphone?

headphones or speakers without flat response will color/enhance certain frequencies so they sound perceivedly better/different to the end user. This is potentially bad for mixing as Ichiro stated, because certain frequencies might be overcompensated or undercompensated thus resulting in a mix that would only sound good on those headphones.

Personally I find if you know your headphones good enough, it's alright. Still it's definitely better to get decent monitors if you can afford it.

headphones or speakers without flat response will color/enhance certain frequencies so they sound perceivedly better/different to the end user.
Yes, we all know that, but question is, since "headphones do not have flat frequency response", what's the difference between a flat response headphones and a non flat response headphones?

ah, I guess decent monitors provide flat response all the way from 20Hz to 20,000Hz, and most headphones, even the ones with alleged flat response one have simply limited frequency response.

ah, I guess decent monitors provide flat response all the way from 20Hz to 20,000Hz, and most headphones, even the ones with alleged flat response one have simply limited frequency response.

yup, dir is right. As for the difference in flat-frequency response headphones and non-flat frequency response headphones. Imo it is just marketing gimicks most of the time. They are just playing ard with figures. A test from using the headphones to mix will give u a better understanding.

I personally hv tried numerous headphones, there are really good ones for me. But that is because i learn to compensate my work with that headphones...

my 2cents

Oh, that explains... I find that my flat response headphones gives less bass and trebles than my non flat response one. I only use my flat response headphones for EQ'ing my Pod X3's banks and occasionally, my youtube videos. Results are usually better than direct EQ'ing from my non flat response earphones. Haven't tried flat monitors yet.

Hey, is mixing earphones and vocal (monitor) earphones similar?
I need both, and is it possible to have both in a single pair of earphones?

Back